• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I suppose my suggestion applies there too. Good surface for chairs that are constantly being moved and crumbs that are being spilled.

Missed this. Yes, you may be right. Feeling a bit overwhelmed at the moment with trying to coordinate flooring/paint/rugs/furniture for nearly an entire house. Want to invest in good stuff that'll last, but don't feel like I have a cohesive vision for where I want to end up, and don't want to end up with a bunch of pieces that don't work. Not really sure where to start. Actually, that's not true - was waffling back and forth on refinishing the hardwood floors, but have decided to go ahead and do it. Never going to be easier than now, and I want to get some protection on them from the dog. Also, they're pretty dark and would like to explore lightening them up a bit.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ha, I just told my wife today to tip the refrigerator delivery guys. She questioned me on it. Anyone who has done manual labor would probably agree with tipping. Even $5 makes these guys days.

Agreed. My dad's a ceramic tile contractor. Spent a few summers working for him, and don't recall ever receiving a tip (or seeing/hearing of any of his guys getting anything).

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to work in the Trades. Never, ever received a tip. I would have been shocked if someone offered.

Last edited:

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Re: Rugs - Quality Persians are easily had at auction for next to nothing. It is hard to know what you're getting into if you're a novice, as some rugs will go for thousands and others for nothing where to an uneducated eye they look the same - but hey, use that to your advantage. Room-size rugs in attractive enough Heriz patterns from the 1950s-1980s can be had for well under $1000. Condition won't always be perfect, but these are rugs you can live with and are pretty much bulletproof and will retain some level of their value in that you can probably turn them around at auction in 10 years and get a little bit of your investment back. You won't be able to say that about the department store rug or online flash sale carpet you'd buy as an alternative, for which the only real next destination is the garbage.

Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on your perspective) I would not get too caught up in the thought that your carpet will appreciate in value. These are getting less popular as time wears on, and the market could continue to dry up. Styles have a way of being cyclical, so you never know, but I would probably generally count on a longer trend of Persians getting less, not more, popular.

I've furnished my house with very attractive Persians in 10x13-like sizes and paid $500-600 for each.

I wouldn't buy from the carpet guy. There's a lot of distribution and retail markup in new rugs and that's what you're paying for (along with that "make sure you're happy with it" return guarantee, or the ability to pick just the right one that pulls out the yellow in the curtains etc etc). If you're not on a tight schedule, take your time, find some local auction houses, and attend the auctions. Check out the rugs at the previews beforehand and use the auction estimates as a guideline. They won't always be correct, but they'll guide what sort of rugs you will generally be able to afford. If you can be patient, you'll find something really great at a price that won't break the bank.

Example: Here's a beautiful rug going to auction in a few weeks at my local auction house. Almost 10x14. Estimate is $1000-2000, but this is one that could go for under a grand depending on who's in the room. Condition appears to be very good - one with a little worn pile or some frayed fringe would go for half this much. Could also go for $3,000, you never know. But that's why you have to take your time a little bit.

https://alexcooper.hibid.com/lot/23...prox--9-9-x-13-8/?cat=2063&sort=2&ref=catalog

Good luck.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Work started on our attic today to convert it from a spooky old attic into a playroom for our daughter. It's about 6'-2" to the joists in the center, but only about 3-4 feet of that with the roof sloping down on either side. Also some structural shoring up that needs to be done as the roof is sagging in places. Apparently they found some cracked slate tiles on the roof today and some other signs of rot and deterioration - work that's going to have to get done - but I was expecting a fair amount of that. Should be great once we finish it. It will be a perfect space for a kid to play. Nervous about how deep we'll have to go with structural work, but it will be great to have it all done.

Before:

Last edited:

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They won't count it as floor space in an appraisal if the ceiling doesn't hit 7' -- you probably knew that, though. Still a worthwhile thing to do. Mine was originally supposed to be 3 stories -- I think -- so there's a large attic that could be converted. There's also a weird, long closet that was obviously supposed to be a stairway. But they also made some other changes to the plans that would complicate things. Still it's something I'd like to do. Yours looks pretty easy depending on how thick those floor/ceiling joists are.

Last edited:

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Re: Rugs - Quality Persians are easily had at auction for next to nothing. It is hard to know what you're getting into if you're a novice, as some rugs will go for thousands and others for nothing where to an uneducated eye they look the same - but hey, use that to your advantage. Room-size rugs in attractive enough Heriz patterns from the 1950s-1980s can be had for well under $1000. Condition won't always be perfect, but these are rugs you can live with and are pretty much bulletproof and will retain some level of their value in that you can probably turn them around at auction in 10 years and get a little bit of your investment back. You won't be able to say that about the department store rug or online flash sale carpet you'd buy as an alternative, for which the only real next destination is the garbage.

Douglas, this was extremely helpful. Thanks for taking the time to share - 10x13 is right around the size we need, so I'll take your advice and check the local auction houses.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
In the last year I tipped the folks that delivered my wine storage unit (they also moved my current, ******* huge cellar to another room for me) and the folks that delivered our furniture. Also, I toss them some bottled water which is always appreciated by folks doing physical labour.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Douglas, this was extremely helpful. Thanks for taking the time to share - 10x13 is right around the size we need, so I'll take your advice and check the local auction houses.

Glad to help. I've had a lot of fun with this little "hobby" over the years; auction bargain hunting is great fun, to boot, even when you lose. I may actually sort of be in the market myself again right now; it's possible I could go check out the very rug I linked.

They won't count it as floor space in an appraisal if the ceiling doesn't hit 7' -- you probably knew that, though. Still a worthwhile thing to do. Mine was originally supposed to be 3 stories -- I think -- so there's a large attic that could be converted. There's also a weird, long closet that was obviously supposed to be a stairway. But they also made some other changes to the plans that would complicate things. Still it's something I'd like to do. Yours looks pretty easy depending on how thick those floor/ceiling joists are.

Yeah, I think this will be worth something to a buyer even if it doesn't totally appraise out. But more than anything, it will be adding value to me, and to my feet, every time they don't step on a Lego in what's supposed to be our library/office.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ugh, Legos are like having little caltrops scattered throughout the house.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ugh, Legos are like having little caltrops scattered throughout the house.
Do girls still play jacks, probably illegal these days

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Turk, wondering how that bearing got so rusted. That would suggest a leak somewhere, would it not?

I'd keep an eye on the washer if I were you. Bearing retention in a concentricity-sensitive application is a difficult issue, and I bet its at least part of the reason the mfg was hesitant to do or warrant the repair. Trust me, bearings, bearing retention bores, concentricity, and bearing noise in long-term applications is something I do every. single. day.

Lasted two years, and I got this:

The seal pretty obviously failed this time.

I'm getting pretty good at tearing down that washing machine--only about four hours from start to finish. Got a different seal from a different source this time and made sure to seat that sucker all the way down, then packed it with wheel bearing grease. It works for wheel bearings, so why not?

Did you see this post, by the way, Douglas? I assume the new seal never... sealed. It seems to be working okay so far on try #2. And I've gotten the job down to about four hours. Plus it's just so much fun.

Last edited:

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
BTW before buying rugs I'd take the time to learn what makes a good one a good one. It's one thing to read about it, but it also helps to see it in person. There's no harm in visiting the rug dealers just to see what they have to offer.

FWIW the rug I have my living room came from eBay. I lowball bid about a dozen before I got it. It's moderate density, probably made in Pakistan, but otherwise pretty nice. The auctions around here are full of old guys looking for deals, which are few and far between.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads