• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Here in the PNW, it's not uncommon to see pine flooring in houses, especially in the bedrooms of houses (mostly in average/below average grade craftsman homes). Is that something that happens elsewhere or just around here?

Plenty of Pine and Fir around here. Often I think it really comes down to what grows locally.

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

We are completely redoing out driveway (sloped, long), a large retaining wall (8 ft + in places), and everything that comes with all of that (landscaping, engineering, etc.). **** me. :brick:

Does anyone have opinions on Allan Blocks vs. concrete blocks vs. poured concrete for retaining walls?

We are thinking of paver stones for the driveway to reduce cracking (and because they look nice).

One thing to consider is that I've noticed driveway pavers will eventually get a coating of rubber from car tires and it's not attractive.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Interesting - had not considered this.

Does this happen with stamped concrete?

Not noticed. I first noticed this at a place I frequent where the valet pull up has pavers. I then noticed it on some older driveways with pavers. I'm thinking of putting pavers in mine and want to research cleaning options. I wonder if a power washer and muriatic acid will work.

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting - had not considered this.

Does this happen with stamped concrete?

Not noticed. I first noticed this at a place I frequent where the valet pull up has pavers. I then noticed it on some older driveways with pavers. I'm thinking of putting pavers in mine and want to research cleaning options. I wonder if a power washer and muriatic acid will work.

If you use something like this, it alone should get the tire up. A simliar (but much larger) version is used to remove rubber tire from runways.
http://m.northerntool.com/products/shop~tools~product_200659587_200659587?hotline=false

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Don't want to use acid on concrete pavers. They're dyed after being finished to get a more uniform appearance, and the acid will take that off. They'll look a lot more like concrete after you're done.

Last edited:

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Holy crap, that rain showed me last night. Our basement was a flood zone. Water was coming in in places I'd never seen it before. It must have literally burst a hole in the foundation - we have some china on a shelf that is filled with dirty water - the china is at least 10 inches from the wall, on a shelf 1 foot high, and the shelf above is bone dry. Bizarre.

Wife is insistent on finishing the basement; I don't think it's possible at this point.

On the bright side, the attic is pretty much dry as a bone. One known spot around the chimney flashing, but otherwise perfect.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally getting moving with this kitchen remodel! 95% sure I have my cabinet maker selected and I'm interviewing a few contractors that he likes to work with. Have finalized layout design and picked sink and counter top. Excited to finally start spending money on fun house stuff rather than windows and plumbing and electrical stuff.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Update on the house: only two major projects to go before I move in. Hardwood floors need to be sanded and stained and carpet is being installed on the second floor. I'll be in by the end of the month.

I went with Benjamin Moore Simply White for the first floor with the exception of the kitchen and bathroom. Really pleased with how it turned out. It looks quite nice both during the day and at night.

Show us pics of the ConnePad

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Finally getting moving with this kitchen remodel! 95% sure I have my cabinet maker selected and I'm interviewing a few contractors that he likes to work with. Have finalized layout design and picked sink and counter top. Excited to finally start spending money on fun house stuff rather than windows and plumbing and electrical stuff.

Yeah no ****. We're finally re doing our floors and putting in new lighting. 3 years after moving in.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Same here, my paint job creeps along at a snails pace, but finally I have the majority of the upstairs and stairwell painted. Add to that having painted my basement some time ago and basement stairwell and I'm done to one floor.

14' tall stairwell ceiling height makes it interesting to patch up the nail pops in the ceiling. I replaced them with screws since I am not in a hurry to patch while on an extension ladder again anytime soon.

You'd think the person or people who designed this place would have given some thought to the fact that slap-dash drywall work and overhead lighting are working at odds. I'm on my second 5 gal bucket of drywall compound for the upstairs alone.

My wife doesn't know it yet, but I have designs in replacing all of the ugly pressed material 'Georgian style' junky doors with a round of door making in Alaskan yellow cedar. There are seven normal doors, then two sliding doors and then a pair or folding doors and one set of French doors, so....I could be door making for a long while.

I think I'll build frames and moldings as well.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most of my home projects have now moved outside. The basic upkeep items are almost finished to where we can move into the upgrade phase of landscaping plants and adding some decorative lighting. We finally have a theme in mind which we both agree on which was the hardest part.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads