• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My nextdoor neighbor has different warmth lightbulbs in the two lights on the ends of his gate. One bright, one warm.

Drives me insane.

Have been tempted to go change them in the middle of the night.
My neighbors have this too. And they have at least four (!) different color temperatures in the house too.

I am irrationally bothered by mismatched color temperatures. Drives me nuts.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My neighbors have this too. And they have at least four (!) different color temperatures in the house too.

I am irrationally bothered by mismatched color temperatures. Drives me nuts.
I’ve been in a situation where a color tuning LED working right and would randomly go from warm to cool. It’s unsettling. It was the one right above me, too. Probably pissed I didn’t give it a tip.

erictheobscure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bizarro-LA? "Trigger" jokes? Did you just move to LA from Ohio so you could bask in good weather and cultural resentment?

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bizarro-LA? "Trigger" jokes? Did you just move to LA from Ohio so you could bask in good weather and cultural resentment?

No I grew up here. My great-grandfather moved to Pasadena and built a house here. Family has been here since.

I just have grown resentful as things have gotten more and more ridiculous.

Case in point: 10.25% sales tax + 18k / year property tax coupled with a public school district that is one of the worst in the area.

erictheobscure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, the rest of the country is a **** hole. I moved away from the area almost twenty years ago and I've been bitter ever since. Philly (where I "live" now) has the highest city income tax in the country at around 4%.

I will say Pasadena is deeply weird. And I say that as someone who grew up in the Valley and hung out in Pasadena all the time because it was the fancy suburb.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In general I would tend to agree. The only other places I could see myself possibly living are Seattle or Jackson Hole, depending on the lifestyle I would be shooting for.

Pasadena is weird, but I love it here. But thats why I'll ***** about what I don't like rather than leaving. Eventually people will have enough of spending all their money and getting nothing in return.

erictheobscure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last time I was in your hood I finally tried Bone Kettle. I had heard good things but it was way better than I had anticipated.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bone Kettle is quite good. If you are in the area and looking for good stuff, I would recommend in the following order:

1) Sushi Kimagure Ike - reservations only - omikase. Really outstanding at the price.
2) Union - not as good since Bruce Kalman left, but still worth the trip.
3) Lunasia - legit dim sum. The flagship in Alhambra is better if you can go 10 mins drive south.
4) The Raymond / 1886 - The restaurant is pretty good. The bar in the back is outstanding.
5) The Royce @ the Langham - Plus hanging out at the hotel is fun.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Eventually people will have enough of spending all their money and getting nothing in return.

That's where I am now, WRT San Francisco. California in general, really.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's where I am now, WRT San Francisco. California in general, really.

I can't even imagine living in San Francisco. My mortgage is bad enough in LA - would buy me 1/2 the space and 1/4 the land in a decent SF suburb.

I was in Palo Alto last year for a wedding and was already depressed enough by the rampant casual .... everything.

I haven't been in the city itself in about 3 years, and last time I was there I saw literal human feces at least twice.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads