1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Home Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Douglas, Jan 31, 2012.

1. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

Dunno, man. That car selection seems right in line with the house.

1 person likes this.
  2. sugarbutch

Right? Or at least a get a nice little machine shop going in there.

Also: Who wants to hang out in a loft above the garage to watch television? WTF?

3. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I've noticed that in the last several years, when staging a house if there's a vacant space in any room whatsoever, hang a flat screen is the answer.

2 people like this.
  4. double00

double00 Senior member

The correct answer is ALWAYS dojo

1 person likes this.
  5. sugarbutch

We just got the interior of our house painted, so the rooms are mostly empty. It's making me want to get rid of everything and just sit on the floor, enjoying the space.

5 people like this.
  6. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

You do you SB and sit in the calm empty room before everything is moved back. Would be a good time to get rid of things unless you truly love the pieces.

2 people like this.
  7. js4design

js4design Senior member

When we bought our house, we spent a month and a half removing the old baseboard heaters, painting, and refinishing the floors. Sitting in the house after we had sanded the 100 year old heart pine but not yet protected it, I just wanted to live in that empty house with those beautiful floors, hand out slippers to visitors at the front door.

1 person likes this.
  8. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

Decided on our remodelers. We need to make a few fixture decisions then it should start within a month. I am relieved that the selection process is over.

1 person likes this.
  9. lordsuperb

lordsuperb Senior member

What's the design?

10. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

It is just updating a small master bathroom.

11. lordsuperb

lordsuperb Senior member

For $15k that thing better bling like C-3PO. What's the tile color and vanity. For instance I'm going to do a white subway tile bathroom with a bit of black and white wall paper, walnut vanity, and brushed brass fixtures.

12. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

Carrara marble tile, pedestal sink that matches the toilet, medicine cabinet with sconces on both sides, and polished chrome fixtures.

1 person likes this.
  13. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

Guys coming today to build a nice shed out back of the house - step 1 in reclaiming the garage! The previous owners (a church) had converted 1/2 of the garage into a shop and so bumped out a portion of that side into the unfinished side, making it impossible to park a car in there. After I can get all my lawn stuff out of the usable side I'll have to re frame that bump out area this summer and install an automatic door opener, but then we (my wife) will be parking in style!

Also got most of the landscaping done we've been wanting to do - we still have to plant some stuff, but the structural stuff is all in place AND it was a lot less money than I was expecting, so we can probably afford to get the outside painted (as long as we dont get that SF pricing bid).

14. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

Sheds are fun to build. Like a miniature house. Shame you had to hire it out, though it often makes financial sense.

15. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

I would have really liked to try it but as you said, its not cost(time) effective. Also, I don't really have anyone available to lend me a hand with it and I prefer not to work in the rain - we're in the midst of a pretty miserable winter here and I don't really want to wait until July for a dry week!

16. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

I've said many times here how much I dislike my carpeted stairs. Been looking for a good oak tree to quarter saw. Heard about one in the bad part of town that had fallen over. "A big one." Okay, sure. I grabbed my saw, come along, trailer, etc., and found this:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A nice (former) forest tree that was about 30" in diameter... measured ten feet up. No rot. Will actually have to be trimmed to mill it. I've cut bigger trees, but never by myself and without any heavy equipment. Fortunately for stairs the logs don't have to be long, and I was able to hire one of the locals to help me maneuver them onto the trailer.

Got two pieces today. They're at least 3/4 of a ton each, enough for my little truck and trailer. Going to take 'em to the mill and quarter saw them, then go back for the rest. Probably. It might actually be plenty.

7 people like this.
  17. double00

double00 Senior member

Whoa. So youll have stair treads in 2 years when theyve cured up? Or do they kiln dry at your mill?

18. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

2 years. This kind of thing isn't for people who are impatient.

Actually probably about 18 months. A year to air dry then six months in my attic should be plenty. Stair treads are...5/4 or so. (i.e. 1.25" thick).

3 people like this.
  19. lordsuperb

lordsuperb Senior member

can you take photos of the milling process?

1 person likes this.
  20. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

I probably won't be able to take any pictures of it in action, but I'll try and snap a few of the process.

There are different ways to cut a log, and the way the grain is oriented gives the boards a different appearance. Like this:

[​IMG]

Quarter sawing is where you cut the boards with the growth rings at 90 degrees to the face of the board. It gives better stability because of the way wood shrinks (and then contracts and expands with changes in humidity), but for some woods it also exposes very interesting grain. If you've ever seen "tiger oak," that's quarter sawn white oak. My logs are red oak which tends to have fewer and shorter rays, but it can still be really neat. White oak doesn't really grow around here.

There are different ways to do it but we'll probably do it like this:

[​IMG]

The rest of the boards will be "rift sawn," which looks a lot like quarter sawn but doesn't have the prominent rays.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017