1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Home Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Douglas, Jan 31, 2012.

1. DaveCPA

DaveCPA Well-Known Member

It does include materials. There is a LOT of trim work

2. DaveCPA

DaveCPA Well-Known Member

And the painting includes removal of a chair rail from 65% of downstairs and wallpaper from two rooms.

3. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

I would always get at least a second quote, but probably a third. That being said it sounds fair with the materials because I don't know what you picked out.

4. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

Boston->NYC->Helsinki->St.-Petersburg->Budapest->A

I made a mistake once of keeping original outside frames that were probably 60 to 100 y.o. (the apartment had double windows). I spend thousands on restoring original frames and trim not realizing that they are mostly all warped and would not properly isolate dust or sound. Old growth new growth, never mind the wood stories. Replace them if they are that old is my approach now.
    I replaced them all later with aluminum triple glass frames , they look almost the same from outside and they block sound and dust spectacularly. I kept original inside frames to preserve the historic look of the apartment.
    Just my 2 cents.

5. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Fuck, the mowers and weed whackers have started again. Looking forward to 6 more months of that daily noise.

6. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

Goddamn people, maintaining that property!

2 people like this.
  7. Marc Voorhees

Marc Voorhees Senior member

You have to remember, everyone who isnt idfnl is an asshole. When he mows his lawn his neighbors thank him for the background noise because they revel in his glory and amazingness

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
    5 people like this.
  8. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

9. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

It's been 20 years since I lived in a place with grass. Good riddance.

10. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

LOL @ self-landscaping.

2 people like this.
  11. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

I guess Piob gets waxed?

2 people like this.
  12. Marc Voorhees

Marc Voorhees Senior member

Piob tore our his front, back and side lawns and replaced them with travertine. His house looks like the middle of the Vatican.

2 people like this.
  13. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

I like mowing my lawn - it only takes 20 minutes to mow and edge now and it makes me feel very all-american.

2 people like this.
  14. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

Boston->NYC->Helsinki->St.-Petersburg->Budapest->A
    My community only allows one day a week for this mowing thing and it is always done by prof. landscapers who are local Dutch. I guess Dutch are less picky than Americans who I have heard don't want to take these jobs.

1 person likes this.
  15. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

I am a plebe and mow my own lawn but you guys have me looking for a larger deck area mower. As for mowing I start early on Saturday's before it gets too hot and my neighbors don't care.

16. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

To torture ourselves my wife and I have been looking at houses, we do want some room for the yoot to run around and be a kid without so much confinement. Safe to say I will be the maintenance department if we do buy another place with some property.

If the days ahead include operation of a snowblower and lawn tractor, I'll surely remember looking in from my house on our current maintenance people and thinking....'wow, they're doing a fine job'....with envy.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
    3 people like this.
  17. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

I used to do it as a teenager. Great way to make some decent money especially if you don't have a car. I used to enjoy it a bit too.

1 person likes this.
  18. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Contractor should be here in about 30 minutes to discuss the ramada/outdoor kitchen. I smell money being spent. :(

1 person likes this.
  19. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

Not sure if this is the right thread for it, exactly, but have you DIYers (with low standards) bought anything from Harbor Freight in the last six years or so? Your receipts could be worth 30% or more of the face value in cash or gift cards since there's apparently going to be a class action settlement over HFT's deceptive advertising of its prices.

I usually think these suits are BS (and this one is no exception), but it's going to be worth a nice chunk of change for me. I think I actually kept every receipt since I started shopping there.

They'll also take credit card statements but not for the same amount. How they determine it is actually more complicated than I'm making it sound (it's based on the BS "you saved" claims from the receipts). But having the receipts is a much better deal as they often claimed to you saved more than you spent.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  20. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

I've only shopped their once or twice. Interesting that they haven't stopped the practice because I still get spammed by them. I wonder if their IT system is good enough that you could go into a store and get your old receipts like you can at a lot of retail establishments.