• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Feels like I'm getting close to making my first home purchase :)

Two likely scenarios

1.) A well-laid out 2br waterfront condo in the gold coast of seattle real estate. Needs minimal updating, but has no storage, only one parking space, and is not a place we could stay in for more than 6-7 years. Would be the least expensive of the two options.

2.) A huge (by seattle standards) home that needs updating, but is amazingly well built and would be fairly straightforward to update. Has an unfinished basement that could be finished in the next 10 years or so, resulting in a 4BR 3bath ideal long term family home. Is in a less desirable neighborhood, but still in a really good residential area.

My conservative instincts tell me to go with option 1 because there are very few scenarios where I would regret borrowing money at a historically low rate to buy real estate at a relatively low price in the best area in town. Just a little worried that when we move we wont be able to afford to stay in the city.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like sharp corners better.

I have no basis with which to speak on the durability of a sharp corner (but I expect them to show nicks easier)...but they do look better, especially with that hand rail

Last edited:

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
LOL, Douglas that is the truth. I am enjoying the change in these stairs. Prior the change they were covered in carpet worn down the center and on the edges. My finance is questioning my sanity as I've spent a bit to much time admiring stair treads.

Thanks OTC!

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Any other complaints?

No, seriously they look great and you know I have a high regard for your skill, but aren't you concerned about catching a corner on your way up? To me, a rounded edge is less about aesthetics and more about safety.

A lesson I learned some time ago:

If you love something, never, ever, under any circumstances, share it on StyleForum.

Yeah, no argument there.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Feels like I'm getting close to making my first home purchase :)

Two likely scenarios

1.) A well-laid out 2br waterfront condo in the gold coast of seattle real estate. Needs minimal updating, but has no storage, only one parking space, and is not a place we could stay in for more than 6-7 years. Would be the least expensive of the two options.

2.) A huge (by seattle standards) home that needs updating, but is amazingly well built and would be fairly straightforward to update. Has an unfinished basement that could be finished in the next 10 years or so, resulting in a 4BR 3bath ideal long term family home. Is in a less desirable neighborhood, but still in a really good residential area.

My conservative instincts tell me to go with option 1 because there are very few scenarios where I would regret borrowing money at a historically low rate to buy real estate at a relatively low price in the best area in town. Just a little worried that when we move we wont be able to afford to stay in the city.

One regret you may have is option #1 and outgrowing it and then interest rates are 8%. Then you'll be in Renton, maybe even renting.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thomas, I cut the edges on a slight bevel. As a rule of thumb I break hard edges on nearly everything I build.

Last edited:

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

One regret you may have is option #1 and outgrowing it and then interest rates are 8%. Then you'll be in Renton, maybe even renting.

Word. I know you lived in Seattle for a few years, but not sure how familiar you are with different neighborhoods etc.
The Condo is in Madison Park. The big project is in the admiral district of west seattle - so, really the nicest part of west seattle. My fiance works in The Market, but the bus route there from the potential home would be really, really easy and pretty fast. I feel like west seattle is sort of like ballard in that if you live there, you really have no reason to leave with any regularity (aside from work). If the same house was located in ballard or elsewhere within the city proper I wouldn't hesitate, I'm just having a block looking at west seattle as a desirable place to live, although it is objectively nice.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Word. I know you lived in Seattle for a few years, but not sure how familiar you are with different neighborhoods etc.
The Condo is in Madison Park. The big project is in the admiral district of west seattle - so, really the nicest part of west seattle. My fiance works in The Market, but the bus route there from the potential home would be really, really easy and pretty fast. I feel like west seattle is sort of like ballard in that if you live there, you really have no reason to leave with any regularity (aside from work). If the same house was located in ballard or elsewhere within the city proper I wouldn't hesitate, I'm just having a block looking at west seattle as a desirable place to live, although it is objectively nice.

What about stretching tightening down and getting a place you can grow into where you want to live? I know RE there is pretty expensive, but moving is a nightmare.

I've not lived there but spent extensive amounts of time for work and have a very close friend who lives across the 5 in Queen Ann. I know the area you are talking about, Madison Park is super convenient.

I think your struggle is with commute time, otherwise it seems you'd live in Admiral, no? The more I look back on my home purchase the more I am glad I was careful about location. There are only a handful of spots I'd rather be but they are all 3 million and up unless you buy a tear down. From my own experience you'll regret a location that doesn't work long term more than a few square feet. In your shoes, unless you can stretch now, I'd wait a bit for a place to get listed you can renovate over time you can afford now. If you're willing to live that way for a while its worth it to be in the right spot.

My 2 cents

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know web-based home improvement estimators, where I can plug sq footage and get a paint job estimate?

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ojfc. Pipe to washing machine burst.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Does anyone know web-based home improvement estimators, where I can plug sq footage and get a paint job estimate?

why don't you just cold canvass a few painters in your area for quotes?

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

The pipe or the hose? Don't tell me the guy who knows to change Ford Taurus transmission fluid every 25,000 miles didn't inspect his hoses regularly.

The pipe. It was effing cold last night. Fixing now.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads