• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Does anyone know web-based home improvement estimators, where I can plug sq footage and get a paint job estimate?

Figure on $700-800/rm for prep, tinted primer and two coats of a decent paint on the ceiling, walls, trim and doors.

I just had my place painted and that seemed a good average.

lefty

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Figure on $700-800/rm for prep, tinted primer and two coats of a decent paint on the ceiling, walls, trim and doors.

I just had my place painted and that seemed a good average.

lefty

When you say 800/room what size room are you talking about?

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Good-sized bedroom. You can do it for less, but I like my guy who spends a lot of time doing prep.

Walls are spackled, sanded, spackled, sanded.
Caulking is scraped out if it's needed and replaced.
Primer is tinted to final colour if darker than odd white -- I always paint heavy colours.
Two coats on ceiling - primer and final.
One coat primer on walls.
Sand with large circular sanders.
First coat finish on walls. I used Aura paint at $60/gl.
Sand.
Final coat on walls.

Paint trim and doors.

2-3 guys @ 9 days for a 2 bdm with stairwell apt.

lefty

Last edited:

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

When you say 800/room what size room are you talking about?

Whoa. 800$ a ROOM? No way. I have a guy that does great work for $200 a day. He can easily paint an average sized rooms in a day.

Last edited:

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
$200 seems really low. I did the prep and painted my stairwell and if i were doing it for a living I would have charged a lot more than $200 to paint it.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^You get what you pay for.

lefty

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Well, just think about the cost of putting a coat of paint on a room. Say your room is 14 x 20 x 8 ft. ceiling. That's about 824 sq feet and then subtract some off for windows and doors, let's say take off 60 sq feet for that, so 764 sq feet in that room. You get about 300-400 sq feet from a gallon so let's say 350. You need over two gallons for that one room. That doesn't count a primer or a second coat. What's good paint cost for a five gallon bucket these days? Figure in some disposable materials...

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys, guys, am I missing something in our conversation? How can we keep using this "$/room" unit of labor if every room is different size??? I want to make it simple what should 1200sq feet apartment cost to prep and paint inside?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Guys, guys, am I missing something in our conversation? How can we keep using this "$/room" unit of labor if every room is different size??? I want to make it simple what should 1200sq feet apartment cost to prep and paint inside?

Well, as I said, a gallon of paint will cover about 350 sq feet. Figure how many coats you'll need and work out a rough price cost for paint. Add in some materials if there's wood work. Take a guess at what local labour rates are. You should be close enough to get an idea.

Last edited:

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

^^You get what you pay for.

lefty

Afuckingmen. But, with a caveat. If you're looking for a professionally done place, something that will really hold up, then invest. Heavily. Otherwise, if you're just looking to throw over a few coats, you can get someone for MUCH less.

This being SF and all, I'm sure people are going to rush out and spend $1000 a room now.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I gave you an average - size up or down as needed. But depending on prep needed, intricacy of the job, quality of paint, colour of the paint, and skill of the painter, figure on 2-3K.

lefty

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Painters are the last guys there, they fix every little thing that went wrong. Good ones are expensive.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
I think those stair treads on the last page turned out really nice.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Too many variables with paint. Are you changing the colors? Lighter than the original paint? Do your walls need a lot of repairs? Flat or eggshell? Etc. Usually if you're painting over flat paint you don't need to prime the walls, just repair and sand them a little. Always sand (or screen, really) to knock down all the irregularities from the last job. Prep is always the key, but you don't have to overdo it.

My suggestion would be to see the guys' work before you hire them or get a recommendation or something--no telling what you're going to get with painters otherwise. And don't skimp on the paint. There's a big difference between cheap paint and the good stuff, at least in my experience.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads