1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Home Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Douglas, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Better yet, the drunk thread.

1 person likes this.
  2. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

I appreciate the advice on the tile, that approx the color I'm going for. I'll likely do something fairly smooth.

It would seem my plywood landing is universally disliked, at this point, I'm ok with that. The risers will be plywood as well. Since we're on the topic of veneer, I'd like to point out that both veneer and hardwood are different thicknesses of the same thing. One is glued to a substrate in a uniform fashion, the other is left at degree of thickness which allows it to be considered solid wood.

Also, no stain involved here, the wood is dark enough as is, I'm 'finishing' and oil finish has a tint to it normally.

3. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

You might have mentioned this, but why did you use ply anyway? Budget?

BTW, his humidor thread deserves a mention, pretty solid WW skills:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/286305/humidor-build-in-progress

4. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

oh, dear. I hope you stay current on your homeowners policy, and get extra coverage against complete structural collapse, because that's EXACTLY what's going to happen with your little plywood landing. One day you'll be walking on it and the veneer is going to creep up at the edge and you'll think - oh I'll just pull that little bit off and it will all be good - but NO! You'll pull and pull and suddenly the whole stairway will unravel like a cheap sweater and the whole house will collapse around you, because you used this plywood product.

5. SkinnyGoomba

6. SkinnyGoomba

7. SkinnyGoomba

Dowels to be added...soon.

8. djh

djh Senior member

My contractors just put in some matte charcoal 12x24 tile for the kitchen area of a rental studio I'm redoing. I'll take some photos after everything is done; it looks great.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  9. SkinnyGoomba

Look forward to checking it out.

10. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Gas is not at all time lows. It is low, but I'd call it more a 10 year low if anything. Further, gas was even lower last year when the winter was mild since there was so much supply, inventories were at record highs, and gas producers had nowhere to put the gas. Couple that with a large chunk of supply being produced as a byproduct of liquids, and gas prices had a 1 handle per MM Btu at one point last year. That said, many LDCs may have hedged their supply through futures/forwards/swaps, and depending on their programs, what you pay now is likely a weighted average price of ther various hedges, some of which may have been put on two years or more ago. Depending on where you live, gas heat has GOT to be cheaper than electric since you are paying your local electric company to run gas through their plants at about 35% to 40% thermal efficiency only to lose another 6% to losses when they deliver it to you from their assets. If you live in an area where your local power company has a diversified portfolio, you will likely be getting power at a weighted average cost of whatever their fuel mix is. Of course, power companies may hedge their input costs as well, so same situation as the gas company. At the end of the day, over the next 5 years, I would expect your average heating costs to be lower from gas than electricity no question.

11. otc

otc Senior member

The basement is your chance to do something funky!

My parents had some waterproofing/sump work done that involved carving a trench all around the perimeter of the basement. it was no big deal to fill it back in with concrete in the half with concrete floors, but the more finished side required new tiles since there was no close match (and they were possibly asbestos too..)
    They went with a checkerboard in some funky-assed colors and it looks pretty cool. Can't get away with that anywhere else...but in a basement, you have more leeway depending on how it gets used.

12. SkinnyGoomba

Stark and modrrn is my departure, it will be my tchotchke and 'fun' free zone. I hope to have one half dedicated to a leather top desk, settee, humidor, ect. No electronics, just s place to chill out. The other half is already a 'theatre' area, it just needs to be better. So I plan to trash the current furniture, build a few case goods, then put in some worthwhile furniture.

13. SkinnyGoomba

Double post.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  14. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

I'm sure you know this but one thing tile is not great for is hifi or theater acoustics. You'll need to do some attenuation.

15. SkinnyGoomba

Long ways away, but thank you. I'm unfamiliar with acoustics.

16. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

I'm in Virginia. We're not having an especially cold winter and I was shocked at my last electric bill. I run the heat pump above 30 deg, furnace below. I changed it to 38 deg and will see if it helps.

That's an understatement. Its not just music and theater, even talking to people echos like hell. Its that sound you get walking thru an empty house.

17. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Heat pumps become less efficient the greater the delta between actual outdoor temperature and desired indoor temperature. This will vary a bit depending on whether the pump is air or ground source but the principle is the same.

18. SkinnyGoomba

Found a place that does pre-made fabric covered acoustic panels that hang on z-clips. Thanks for the suggestion.

19. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

That may help, but a tile floor is probably second only to glass for the worst acoustics. You should consider carpets as well to buffer it.

20. SkinnyGoomba