The Home Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Douglas, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

man, you lucked out with that repair cost. you gonna patch up the hole yourself? ceiling drywall repair is OH SO MUCH FUN.

2. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

This. When Ike came, we were without power for two weeks, but we had hot water the whole time.

I've heard stories about HOA seizures in Texas, but that was a few years ago. As Piob said, check your governing paperwork.

:slayer:

And, check your thermostat as to the heater cut-off. That's an easy self-fix, provided you remember to shut off the breaker and stay on top of all the wires.

ALSO, this happened to me: The furnace in our old house burned a fuse - I was able to check this because there's an LED that was flashing a code (I think it was three-short, then pause). But I was able to look up the code, get the fuse, and get the furnace running again for $3.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  3. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

LOL no kidding.

4. MrG

MrG Senior member

Yeah, I really did. When it comes to relatively minor fixes, it's awesome having "a guy," rather than a company, to call. The downside is that he has a day job, so repairs are a side gig. I called him about the HVAC problem, but I don't know if he'll be able to get out to look at it quickly, so I have a company scheduled, too. I'm hoping he calls back before they come out, but we'll see.

I resisted the temptation to cut a ginormous hole, so the damage to the drywall is small. That being the case, I'm just gonna do it myself. It won't be perfect, but it'll do.

5. MrG

MrG Senior member

I wish I could do this. I'm in the office, and the HVAC company is coming this afternoon. Maybe I'll run home at lunch and try to diagnose it.

I did mess with the thermostat this morning, and it happens regardless of the setting. It also happens even if the t-stat is set to "on," rather than "auto."

6. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Strange, doesn't the HWH have an electric component to it? Mine does.

Oh god, that old troll Pioboring again?

For any HOA to collect damages or put a lien on a home they need to go to court for it. Granted I don't have a huge amount of experience with HOA's but lets be realistic. They'll go to court over something significant, but a fucking fence? Get real. Chicken little or what...

Actually, the previous owner of my house had a dispute with the neighbor over a stone wall she put in, it basically trapped all rain water in my yard. HOA did shit-all, and forced them into embarrassing meetings to air dirty laundry with the neighborhood. The wall was against HOA policy by the way. Anyway, he had to take he to court and won, she modified the wall.

I'm sure there are some hyper-vigilant HOA's out there, especially in historical preservation areas so you need to take it case by case. But lets not give HOA's more power than they actually have, they're about equal to a shopping mall security guard at best.

The joke in my neighborhood is the HOA fee's go to fund luncheons for the retired folks.

Most of my friends own homes, never heard of any disputes. Condos are another story though, what a pain in the ass the condo assn can be.

7. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

:laugh: Yes, telling someone to read their CC&Rs and understand that it is actually quite possible an HOA can fuck you over is trolling. Can there be any doubt who the 2012 DOTY year is?

8. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Nothing electric about our WH. Pure gas. Kind of nice.

Re: Point 2 - The case-by-case clause is important.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2010/05/us_soldier_in_iraq_loses_home.html

http://www.ccfj.net/courtdecinwoodharris.htm

9. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

All gas for me as well. I have a generator now, but t was a lifesaver when the power went out during Sandy for days to have a gas-only water heater. Also helped to have a gas stove.

Heater is gas also, but the blower motor is electric, so ended up with no heat. Lucky enough I have an addiction to cashmere.

10. upthewazzu

upthewazzu Senior member

Well, for one, I built the thing so I don't want to see the supports and for two, the little kids can climb over anytime they want to come get all the soccer balls that come flying into my yard.

I'll try to reason with them, if not I'll lawyer up and see if they really want to fight that battle.

11. legorogel

legorogel Senior member

I have no clue. But to ignore idfnl is usually excellent advice.

12. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Aren't you the same guy that posted this?

Take your own advise, hypocrite.

13. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Since we are on the topic, anyone know if you are you allowed to opt out of an HOA?

14. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

This is awesome. He goes from giving advice on an HOA, that could cost some poor guy thousands of dollars, to asking a question that would be rather stupid coming from a person that feels he has the knowledge to advise others on HOAs. Just for the record, HOAs are tied to the deed of the property, so no.

15. Douglas

Douglas Stupid ass member

Piob is correct. Without this, an HOA would be pointless.

What would make trigger an HOA to put in such a specific rule about how to put up a fence, I wonder?

:puzzled: