• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

losrockets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We could absolutely do 2.1 Any particular bookshelf speakers you guys would recommend given the size of the space and angle required? Novice in this area and I'm seeing bookshelf speakers that go for an awful lot, but also options like Elac Debut 2.0, KEF Q350, and others which would fall in our budget (under 800 for the pair, and ideally less so we can add a sub and amp/streamer)

Last edited:

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We could absolutely do 2.1 Any particular bookshelf speakers you guys would recommend given the size of the space and angle required? Novice in this area and I'm seeing bookshelf speakers that go for an awful lot, but also options like Elac Debut 2.0, KEF Q350, and others which would fall in our budget (under 800 for the pair, and ideally less so we can add a sub and amp/streamer)

I have no particular recommendations because I haven't bought in about a decade, but definitely check out audiogone if you want to stretch your budget.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It is just across the river from Muscle Shoals...
View attachment 2000193
I want to participate in the speaker convo, but this distracted me. Florence, Alabama, is the “birthplace of the blues”?? Not Mississippi, Memphis or New Orleans? Lol.

I was going to say that they’re more like “home of the Federal Supermax” but a quick google shows that it isn’t even the same Florence!

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
JBL 530 is worth considering IMO, along with the Elacs. I use a pair of the 530 for rear surrounds in a 5.1, but also on a separate receiver for music.and have been very happy with them.

The 530's are pretty large though, for an actual bookshelf. Both go on sale periodically for like $300/pr. Too if not in a hurry to buy now.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I want to participate in the speaker convo, but this distracted me. Florence, Alabama, is the “birthplace of the blues”?? Not Mississippi, Memphis or New Orleans? Lol.

I was going to say that they’re more like “home of the Federal Supermax” but a quick google shows that it isn’t even the same Florence!
As I understand it, the guy the wiki is talking about was born there, but his musical style developed in Mississippi and he first recorded in Memphis…So I guess “birthplace” is acceptable if you’re letting that guy call himself the father of the blues.

But I had never heard of Florence before this, so what do I know.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's on the water and less than 2.5 hours from Birmingham, Huntsville, and Nashville. My guess is that it's a vacation area for wealthy people from those places, not so much for year-round residents.

And yeah, it's 2.5 hours from Tuscaloosa, so @Texasmade is probably right...

Edit: also a Frank Lloyd Wright home/museum there. Maybe there's more interesting history to the town us outsiders know?

I am actually really familiar with that area, having traveled there several times for business (there is a large conference center there) 2010 to 2013. It is a really neat little town, and I used to love shopping at the Billy Reid there. It is certainly more in the vein of the gentrified southern town than it is what people typically think of when they think semi-rural Alabama, but then, I see that phenomenon occurring in most southern towns these days. Florence might have just been a little ahead of the curve there.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
The ancient built-in TV in the bedroom is a nice touch.

d4a04e48f51a7e61bb0c42155a0b0fa0-uncropped_scaled_within_1536_1152.webp

With what looks to be a same era salad bar on the other side of that counter.

Still happy with my Sonos system which combines all three (streaming, amp, powered speakers.)

Bookshelf speakers...I have studio monitors for my DAW set up. Those might work really well with a sub but you need to use an audio interface.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you don't know about the Swampers you should probably remove yourself from any discussion of modern American music.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
With what looks to be a same era salad bar on the other side of that counter.

Still happy with my Sonos system which combines all three (streaming, amp, powered speakers.)

Bookshelf speakers...I have studio monitors for my DAW set up. Those might work really well with a sub but you need to use an audio interface.
Wouldn't any line-level output suffice for these? My self-powered monitors have 1/4" and XLR connections and could run off an iPhone if needed.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Wouldn't any line-level output suffice for these? My self-powered monitors have 1/4" and XLR connections and could run off an iPhone if needed.

You might well be correct.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How many SET (let's say, Shindo) amps have you heard with speakers rated in the high 90s or even 100s?

I don't believe there's a Wikipedia entry for Shindo. I'd advise you go straight to Google.

have you ever heard a class a tube amp drive a conventional speaker ?

try to remember my original point to op was to consider the amp along with the speakers , i'm glad you've gotten there tho !

anyways for hi fi , at volume , class ab is a better bet .

Last edited:

Oswald Cornelius

Reaction score
My rig is a class A SET tube amp and my speakers are 'conventional' so yeah, pretty much most days I hear it. Easily goes to 100 dB from my chair, about 8' from the baffles. Yes, I have a real sound meter and not an app. My room is 18x20. No clipping.

I realize this is the internet, but it's not the first time I've thought of this stuff. "Loud" is relative, ergo the meter and the measurement from my chair. I don't need to go louder than 100 dB. In fact, I rarely play above 75.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My rig is a class A SET tube amp and my speakers are 'conventional' so yeah, pretty much most days I hear it. Easily goes to 100 dB from my chair, about 8' from the baffles. Yes, I have a real sound meter and not an app. My room is 18x20. No clipping.

I realize this is the internet, but it's not the first time I've thought of this stuff. "Loud" is relative, ergo the meter and the measurement from my chair. I don't need to go louder than 100 dB. In fact, I rarely play above 75.

gotta love the styfo consumer flex lol . meanwhile i've built and modded amp circuits . in my household we listen to , play , and record music fairly constantly . the sound meter is cute lol but i use my ears .

@Centaurus3200 anything to offer op ? convo starts here :

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NervesAidHealth