• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The high end Chinese Shoe Thread

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I finished my written review of the Acme pair.

overall excellent quality and one of the best shoes in my collection. Curious to see how they age. The detail is exceptional and it’s a joy how I can spot the actual “made by hand” in certain areas after taking shoemaking now. It’s a pricey shoe but if you are in that ballpark I can highly recommend them alongside Stefano Bemer and Meccariello. Very refined shoes, just hope they find their own signature style eventually more.

2EB8890C-F96A-4F57-878E-459522111197.jpeg

prof.contingency

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
mp1.jpeg
mp2.jpeg
A pair of Premium MTO Black Chelsea Boots from Yearn Shoemaker that we made up for a VIP client. The initials were a special request, and we had it done by Dan Watkins, here, in the UK.

He has a popular Youtube channel, and these exact shoes can be seen here:

St1X

Reaction score
Don't think I ever shared photos of these here. My pair of MTM Blazing Wonders that I received last year, did a review on them now for those who are interested to see and read more, but below a bunch of photos:

View attachment 1822783

View attachment 1822785

View attachment 1822787

View attachment 1822786

View attachment 1822788
My experience buying thing from China is that they slap a ridiculously low price on a customs declaration, so the customers would avoid fees & taxes. Was it the case with BW? Otherwise 5000 SEK will be a subject to 12% customs fees on goods from China and then 25% VAT on top of that + customs brokerage fees (75-150 sek), which quickly turns into +40% in fees and taxes here, in Sweden.
This coupled together with return & exchange problems turns me away from any high end Chinese brands. Meccariello shoes look like a better buy

ajay199127

Reaction score
I have both meccariello and BW. So let me clarify.

Helen from BW will do any design you throw at her, and if it gets too wild, all she does is charge a new pattern fee of 50 USD. She’s got 4 stock last, which are excellent, primarily the PU & HUANG. Refer to octenths lasts as they are similar to what she has.

BW can make a value declaration of <100, negating all your tax and customs concerns.

As impressive as meccariello, after owing 5 pairs and 6th currently under commission, if you want absolute creative freedom, last modifications and quick turnaround and 80% the level of Antonio in terms of construction at 50/60% the cost, Helen is the real deal. I can speculate that she is probably the maker behind graziat, if you look at the pictures they both post. Of course, BW never stated this.

If you are concerned about leather quality, I have the same concern because I have never had a box calf from Helen. However, my current MTM is box calf in her premium range with an upcharge for a better leather cut and an entirely hand-stitched outsole.

If you are still worried, commission a suede or hatch or Utah Haas, and you will be delighted with BW

My experience buying thing from China is that they slap a ridiculously low price on a customs declaration, so the customers would avoid fees & taxes. Was it the case with BW? Otherwise 5000 SEK will be a subject to 12% customs fees on goods from China and then 25% VAT on top of that + customs brokerage fees (75-150 sek), which quickly turns into +40% in fees and taxes here, in Sweden.
This coupled together with return & exchange problems turns me away from any high end Chinese brands. Meccariello shoes look like a better buy

Last edited:

St1X

Reaction score

Helen from BW will do any design you throw at her and if it gets too wild, all she does is charge a new pattern fee of 50USD. She’s got 4 stock last and they are amazing especially the PU & HUANG, refer to octenths lasts as they are similar to what she has.

BW can do a value declaration of <100 negating all your tax and customs concern.

As amazing as meccariello after owing 5 pairs and 6th currently under commission, if you want absolute creative freedom, last modifications and quick turn around and 80% the level of Antonio in terms of construction at 50/60% the cost, Helen is the real deal. I can speculate that she is probably the maker behind graziat, if you look at the pictures they both post. Ofcourse, BW never stated this.

If you are concerned about the quality of leather, I have the same concern too, because I have never had box calf from Helen, though my current MTM is box calf in her premium range with an upcharge for better cut of leather and fully hand stitched outsole.

If you are still worried, commission a suede or hatch or utah haas and you will be very pleased with BW
I am not concerned about the quality of shoes, I am concerned by taxes in my country that are a total rip off

ajay199127

Reaction score
I am not concerned about the quality of shoes, I am concerned by taxes in my country that are a total rip off

Your country can tax only the value declared, if it’s sent as a gift/repaired shoe. Then it’s probably zero.

I live in angola and anything valued about 500USD has jaw dropping taxation and possibility to disappear given the corruption, so my pair was declared at 50USD as a repair pair.

Adhazem

Reaction score
My experience has been very positive with Helen. I agree with everything Ajay said. The sky is the limit in terms of design. I had design a boot for me, and she advises on lasts and fitment. It does get quite a bit pricier when you do the hand stitched line and a bunch of add ons but you are getting a very nice high end pair of footwear. As Jesper mentioned in his article it's not ACME or Stefano Bemer but you're also paying between 30-50% the price of those top makers.

ajay199127

Reaction score

Dont forget you have 20% Vat for EU that the maker will impose of its Antonio.

Not bashing or breaking the system of European makers, but this is a Chinese thread forum so the priority are The Chinese makers.

ajay199127

Reaction score
my bw pair

Attachments

• 56BF195C-5DC4-4102-9F09-B084BE3BBC23.jpeg
    56BF195C-5DC4-4102-9F09-B084BE3BBC23.jpeg
    105.6 KB · Views: 32
  • 2E5C3F58-1817-4AB9-9D76-ED4DBA57E820.jpeg
    2E5C3F58-1817-4AB9-9D76-ED4DBA57E820.jpeg
    232.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 41DFA3FA-0499-4B94-8B16-CEC00AE9BDF6.jpeg
    41DFA3FA-0499-4B94-8B16-CEC00AE9BDF6.jpeg
    196.7 KB · Views: 43
  • FAF93FD3-9FD1-40FF-AF98-472414BD3A60.jpeg
    FAF93FD3-9FD1-40FF-AF98-472414BD3A60.jpeg
    201.4 KB · Views: 58
  • 4A033957-A66D-45B6-A545-57AAEC8724B0.jpeg
    4A033957-A66D-45B6-A545-57AAEC8724B0.jpeg
    371.4 KB · Views: 76

ajay199127

Reaction score

Helen from BW will do any design you throw at her, and if it gets too wild, all she does is charge a new pattern fee of 50 USD. She’s got 4 stock last, which are excellent, primarily the PU & HUANG. Refer to octenths lasts as they are similar to what she has.

BW can make a value declaration of <100, negating all your tax and customs concerns.

As impressive as meccariello, after owing 5 pairs and 6th currently under commission, if you want absolute creative freedom, last modifications and quick turnaround and 80% the level of Antonio in terms of construction at 50/60% the cost, Helen is the real deal. I can speculate that she is probably the maker behind graziat, if you look at the pictures they both post. Of course, BW never stated this.

If you are concerned about leather quality, I have the same concern because I have never had a box calf from Helen. However, my current MTM is box calf in her premium range with an upcharge for a better leather cut and an entirely hand-stitched outsole.

If you are still worried, commission a suede or hatch or Utah Haas and you will be delighted with BW

PS: When I say Antonio, I mean his Argentum line and the waist closing is blind on his AM Argentum compared to BW which has visible stitching.

ajay199127

Reaction score
So how was it: BW is Oct.Tenth?

Also, @ajay199127: did BW have those Vibram topies, or were they added afterwards?

BW and Oct are different factories, though Helen was with Oct10 before the inception of BW. (I might be wrong about the details @j ingevaldsson could shed some light, if he wishes to do so)

The topies were installed during the commission by Helen. She didn't have it but got it because I insisted. It might sound silly, but I have OCD for explosion & Crespino topies.

Adhazem

Reaction score
BW and Oct are different factories, though Helen was with Oct10 before the inception of BW. (I might be wrong about the details @j ingevaldsson could shed some light, if he wishes to do so)

The topies were installed during the commission by Helen. She didn't have it but got it because I insisted. It might sound silly, but I have OCD for explosion & Crespino topies.

BW makes yeossal though. I think anyway. Same shoe trees. Same aesthetic. Same shoe bags.

Here’s my MTM boot:

35D5465E-5F80-4604-88F4-1B1EDBDF4147.jpeg
9ED2566D-F40D-4724-937F-AB67C32472EE.jpeg

BA1486C2-4FE4-4B79-9FA8-5BF7A5B85024.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics