• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The high end Chinese Shoe Thread

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I almost did but ended up with RTW for a first order. I have a pair of premium BW boots coming. Full handmade with hand stitched outsoles. I’ll post here when I get them. ~$1,100 so that might be reasonable to compare with ACME entry level.
Has anyone tried the premium MTO for Yearn? Around $1000 with higher SPI and such. I wanted to see if that's a better route to go. I wanted to compare the RTW acme to Yearn Premium MTO. See if there's a huge gap or not. A lot of the reviews that I saw was for their mainline RTW. not the premium MTO.
I just can't see the value in the "premium mto" markup from Yearn. Maybe I'm missing something but it looks like a lot more money for pretty minimal changes that I'm really not concerned with.

Adhazem

Reaction score
Thank you @Adhazem for the kind words. By the way, your Yearn OXF 719 have finished the clicking process a few days ago at the workshop. See below.

View attachment 1767060

I hope you don't mind my sharing it here (I have blurred out the size/style details -- leaving you to choose whether to share it with others.) Looking forward! and I am keeping a close eye on it for you!

I’m really excited for this pair!

Adhazem

Reaction score
I just can't see the value in the "premium mto" markup from Yearn. Maybe I'm missing something but it looks like a lot more money for pretty minimal changes that I'm really not concerned with.

Fiddle back, hand stitched outsole, inclusive of lasted shoe tree, higher SPI and I think leather heel stiffener, and limited to a certain shoemaker in the workshop that makes only a couple of them per month. At least that’s my understanding.

BW premium comes to a little over a $200 surcharge but includes leather toe stiffener, and hand stitched outsole.

Last edited:

prof.contingency

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Yes, the Yearn RTW standard hits a sweet spot in terms of pricing and features (and, a fortiori, "bang for buck"), that I think will resonate with many.

Just to sum up: the Yearn RTW standard has hand-welted construction, 8 SPI, slight beveled, narrow waist, as well as handstitched outsoles. (In stock at Arterton UK, otherwise ~25 days lead time from Yearn workshop)

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, the Yearn RTW standard hits a sweet spot in terms of pricing and features (and, a fortiori, "bang for buck"), that I think will resonate with many.

Just to sum up: the Yearn RTW standard has hand-welted construction, 8 SPI, slight beveled, narrow waist, as well as handstitched outsoles. (In stock at Arterton UK, otherwise ~25 days lead time from Yearn workshop)
Maybe you can answer this - Is the premium MTO the same leather as the RTW or standard MTO?

prof.contingency

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Maybe you can answer this - Is the premium MTO the same leather as the RTW or standard MTO?
Yes, it's the same, barring exotics/special leathers!

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Might be some tough competition then, most of the RTW are painted on crust? Would probably go for the box route if doing MTO

yshin10

Reaction score
Thanks for the interest! Yes, great observation. I would, indeed, say that RTW Acme would be largely comparable to Yearn Premium MTO. As for more nuanced comparisons, I'd leave that to other shoe enthusiasts.

However, I know that the workload is pretty packed at the moment at the Yearn workshop, and current lead time is about 4 months for the premium MTO standard, due to the scarcity of human resources in hand-beveling the fiddleback waist (rather than machine). If you had any questions about Yearn, feel free to drop us a line at Arterton. (And, of course, we stock the Yearn RTW collection in the UK for immediate dispatch.)

Do you guys have the RTW last measurements by any chance? I have a short and wide feet, high instep, low arch. All kinds of fun.

bernoulli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just so you know, you described my feet and I am in the process of commissioning them a new pair because they fit me the best of every shoemaker I have tried (Acme, AM, G&G, Vass etc). A caveat: I was measured in their store in Chengdu.

Do you guys have the RTW last measurements by any chance? I have a short and wide feet, high instep, low arch. All kinds of fun.

yshin10

Reaction score
Just so you know, you described my feet and I am in the process of commissioning them a new pair because they fit me the best of every shoemaker I have tried (Acme, AM, G&G, Vass etc). A caveat: I was measured in their store in Chengdu.

Oh really? are you doing the premium MTO? you mean the RTW fits you the best? What last?

bernoulli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RTW fits me best. I don't remember the last, but I think it is this one: https://yearnshoemaker.com/collections/oxfords/products/7

0IMG_4636.jpg

Oh really? are you doing the premium MTO? you mean the RTW fits you the best? What last?

bernoulli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know which size are these, sorry. As I mentioned, they measured me in their store and said that they would produce the right size and width for me. I did not bother with the actual numbers - I like the last and they have my size pegged perfectly, so I didn't bother asking if they used a wide or regular last, or even which size. Please remember that sizing in China is different than in the rest of the world.

Oh wow. Did you size up or down? I should try a yearn product.
Their pricing is pretty good. Did you get width F? Or stick with E?

prof.contingency

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
@yshin10
Yes, we have the last measurements for Yearn. Drop us a pm here or a message/email on Arterton and we can advise on sizing in the AM(UK time).

Yearn fits TTS, and they have been translated to UK sizing. So take your UK sizing.

The Y07 and Y02 have similar profiles, with the former having lower instep. And we have some Yearn shoes in stock at Arterton . I hope that helps.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads