• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kirby Allison: Affiliate thread

GothamRed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aaaaaaand...we're taking today off!

It's another nice (read: not sub-tropically humid) weekend in New York and I'm sure a lot of you have summer on the mind as well. Accordingly, I'm taking today off and, as a reminder, for the remainder of the summer I'll be hosting Shoe Shine Sunday on a bi-weekly basis.

However, you are all invited to continue posting your pursuit of the perfect shine as usual! Even though today's Shoe Shine Sunday isn't hosted, we also encourage everyone to cross-post to Instagram, Twitter, Facebook or Tumblr (using the hashtag #shoeshinesunday).

Don't forget that Kirby also has some phenomenal mid-calf Palatino cotton socks at an incredible discount for a limited time.

I'll still be checking back in on this thread throughout the day, so feel free to include any questions you might have along with your posts — who knows, the answer(s) may even be the subject of a future Shoe Shine Sunday!

For now, I'll leave you with an old Shoe Shine Sunday shot...

Last edited:

kentpope

Reaction score
15% off Hanger Project with promo code NEWWAREHOUSE. Promotion ends at midnight on Monday, July 21.

CosmeDaniel

Reaction score
Quick kudos to Kirby for adding an apology to the latest e-mail. Not that common to see people take personal responsibility for issues.

I didn't have a bad experience with my last order, but it did come with one less dauber than what I thought I was paying for. Customer service assured me it'd be included in a subsequent order but it didn't materialize. In the end I figured a $6.00 dauber wasn't worth the fight but it sounds as though I wasn't alone in experiencing this type of frustration when ordering.

kirbya

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Quick kudos to Kirby for adding an apology to the latest e-mail.  Not that common to see people take personal responsibility for issues.

I didn't have a bad experience with my last order, but it did come with one less dauber than what I thought I was paying for. Customer service assured me it'd be included in a subsequent order but it didn't materialize.  In the end I figured a $6.00 dauber wasn't worth the fight but it sounds as though I wasn't alone in experiencing this type of frustration when ordering.

CosmeDaniel - I totally understand. You cannot even believe how frustrating and dissatisfying our previous situation with the 3PL became. Sadly, it took us almost six months to find a warehouse, finish it out, and move in. Way too long, but absolutely as fast as we could do it. And all of it was at a huge expense, which made it even more challenge for me because The Hanger Project is still relatively small (we do sell hangers and show polish).

So, please accept my sincerest apology. We'd love to send you the dauber and pair of Palatino socks (you pick) for the trouble. PM me your information or order number.

By the end of the month, we'll have conducted a full physical inventory and will begin daily cycle counts. This will allow us to begin resolving any inventory issues. And we have a huge shipment of hangers that is about to arrive, that should resolve issues we've had with certain hanger sizes being unavailable.

kirbya

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Pictures of the new place. Still have some work to do... but it's refreshing to be under our own management now!

GothamRed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aaaaaaand...we're back!

Today I'm putting a first polish on a pretty esoteric pair of Carmina MTO loafers that I made up for casual summer wear. Join me by posting before and after photos of your own polish job today!

Remember to also cross-post to Instagram, Twitter, Facebook or Tumblr (using the hashtag #shoeshinesunday) — one (1) random participant who does will receive one (1) pair of their choice of mid-calf Palatino cotton socks!

Without further ado, let's get to it...

There is a lot going on with this pair of loafers, including the fact that they turned out a little brighter than I would have liked. So, in addition to cleaning up the usual scuffs and marks, I'm going to darken them slightly (I'm skipping the welt treatment in this post, but it was done). I am also going to lighten the heels and edges a bit, but that's for another day.

The "damage"

Saphir Horsehair Polishing Brush
Saphir Leather Lotion
Saphir Pommadier Cream Polish in Dark Green, Dark Brown
Saphir Pate de Luxe Wax Polish in Dark Brown, Neutral
Saphir Reptan
Saphir Chamois Cloth
Edoya Finishing Brush
Edging Tool

I began as usual by wiping the shoes down with a damp cloth, a brushing with the Horsehair Polishing Brush, and then a liberal dosing of Saphir Leather Lotion all over with a Saphir Chamois Cloth.

I let the Saphir Leather Lotion dry and then buffed off with the Horsehair Polishing Brush.

Once the Kermits were brushed again with the Horsehair Polishing Brush, I began working in Saphir Pommadier Cream Polish in Dark Green.

After another brushing with the Horsehair Polishing Brush, it was on to Saphir Pommadier Cream Polish in Dark Brown...followed by another brushing.

After two (2) light coats of Saphir Pommadier Cream Polish in Dark Brown and the brushing, I applied three (3) successive very, very light coats of Saphir Pate de Luxe Wax Polish in Dark Brown with a Saphir Chamois Cloth.

Following the brown wax and another brushing, I attended to the heels and sole edges with Saphir Pate de Luxe Wax Polish in Neutral and an edging tool, followed by a little Saphir Reptan for the crocodile tassels.

After a vigorous brushing with my Edoya finishing brush...

...voila!

Remember to post photographs here today of you shining/polishing your shoes (before and after, please) and also to cross-post your photos on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook or Tumblr (using the hashtag #shoeshinesunday) — one (1) random participant who does will receive one (1) pair of their choice of mid-calf Palatino cotton socks!

I'll be checking back in on this thread throughout the day, so feel free to include any questions you might have along with your posts — who knows, the answer(s) may even be the subject of a future Shoe Shine Sunday!

Last edited:

traverscao

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Aaaaaaand...we're back!
Today I'm putting a first polish on a pretty esoteric pair of Carmina MTO loafers that I made up for casual summer wear. Join me by posting before and after photos of your own polish job today! Remember to also cross-post to Instagram, Twitter, Facebook or Tumblr (using the hashtag #shoeshinesunday) — one (1) random participant who does will receive one (1) pair of their choice of mid-calf Palatino cotton socks! Without further ado, let's get to it... There is a lot going on with this pair of loafers, including the fact that they turned out a little brighter than I would have liked. So, in addition to cleaning up the usual scuffs and marks, I'm going to darken them slightly (I'm skipping the welt treatment in this post, but it was done). I am also going to lighten the heels and edges a bit, but that's for another day.
The "damage"​
Saphir Horsehair Polishing Brush Saphir Leather Lotion Saphir Pommadier Cream Polish in Dark Green, Dark Brown Saphir Pate de Luxe Wax Polish in Dark Brown, Neutral Saphir Reptan Saphir Chamois Cloth Edoya Finishing Brush Edging Tool
I began as usual by wiping the shoes down with a damp cloth, a brushing with the Horsehair Polishing Brush, and then a liberal dosing of Saphir Leather Lotion all over with a Saphir Chamois Cloth.
I let the Saphir Leather Lotion dry and then buffed off with the Horsehair Polishing Brush.
Once the Kermits were brushed again with the Horsehair Polishing Brush, I began working in Saphir Pommadier Cream Polish in Dark Green.
After another brushing with the Horsehair Polishing Brush, it was on to Saphir Pommadier Cream Polish in Dark Brown...followed by another brushing.
After two (2) light coats of Saphir Pommadier Cream Polish in Dark Brown and the brushing, I applied three (3) successive very, very light coats of Saphir Pate de Luxe Wax Polish in Dark Brown with a Saphir Chamois Cloth.
Following the brown wax and another brushing, I attended to the heels and sole edges with Saphir Pate de Luxe Wax Polish in Neutral and an edging tool, followed by a little Saphir Reptan for the crocodile tassels.
...voila!
Remember to post photographs here today of you shining/polishing your shoes (before and after, please) and also to cross-post your photos on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook or Tumblr (using the hashtag #shoeshinesunday) — one (1) random participant who does will receive one (1) pair of their choice of mid-calf Palatino cotton socks! I'll be checking back in on this thread throughout the day, so feel free to include any questions you might have along with your posts — who knows, the answer(s) may even be the subject of a future Shoe Shine Sunday!
Nice work, as per usual. Any difficulties polishing the tassels??

GothamRed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice work, as per usual. Any difficulties polishing the tassels??

Thanks. No difficulties whatsoever, just a little care in keeping the right product where it needs to go. Ideally, just apply Reptan and work it in gently, then buff or brush (finishing brush) after it dries.

traverscao

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks.  No difficulties whatsoever, jus
t a little care in keeping the right product where it needs to go.  Ideally, just apply Reptan and work it in gently, then buff or brush (finishing brush) after it dries.

What do you think about the idea of applying wax to the tassels as well? Would it be a little silly?

macjedi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Aaaaaaand...we're back!
Today I'm putting a first polish on a pretty esoteric pair of Carmina MTO loafers that I made up for casual summer wear. Join me by posting before and after photos of your own polish job today!
Remember to also cross-post to Instagram, Twitter, Facebook or Tumblr (using the hashtag #shoeshinesunday) — one (1) random participant who does will receive one (1) pair of their choice of mid-calf Palatino cotton socks! Without further ado, let's get to it... There is a lot going on with this pair of loafers, including the fact that they turned out a little brighter than I would have liked. So, in addition to cleaning up the usual scuffs and marks, I'm going to darken them slightly (I'm skipping the welt treatment in this post, but it was done). I am also going to lighten the heels and edges a bit, but that's for another day.
The "damage"​
Saphir Horsehair Polishing Brush Saphir Leather Lotion Saphir Pommadier Cream Polish in Dark Green, Dark Brown Saphir Pate de Luxe Wax Polish in Dark Brown, Neutral Saphir Reptan Saphir Chamois Cloth Edoya Finishing Brush Edging Tool
...voila!
Remember to post photographs here today of you shining/polishing your shoes (before and after, please) and also to cross-post your photos on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook or Tumblr (using the hashtag #shoeshinesunday) — one (1) random participant who does will receive one (1) pair of their choice of mid-calf Palatino cotton socks! I'll be checking back in on this thread throughout the day, so feel free to include any questions you might have along with your posts — who knows, the answer(s) may even be the subject of a future Shoe Shine Sunday!
Very nice RD! Those tassels are beautiful!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads