• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The ******* Modern Family never ********

rennavate

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reggs
I'd bet that a majority of guys who are not biggoted, and are not against gay rights have the same eww reaction that I have. I voted no on Prop 8 and I had to look away at some scenes in Brokeback Mountain, so sue me.

Don't bet a lot, friend.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reggs
It has nothing to do with being behind. I'm as pro gay rights as one can get and seeing two guys kiss just evokes an "Ewww" reaction from me. .

have to say, me too

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
personally dont care for seeing homos making out.

mind you i dont really like watching heteros making out either

lesbians on the other hand, are a different story.*

* Appreciation lesbians, not real lesbians.

epb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
I found it strange that Phil and Claire regularly allude to, or are shown having just had sex, and similar suggestions are made with the old dude and the hot Colombian woman... Claire's mom, the oldest daughter Haley **********... but the two gays, which are a major part of the show, are never depicted in a physically intimate moment nor is there ever any sexual suggestion made. They have the most asexual part on the show. I guess america is still quite behind.

The real issue, as is typical for US television, is money rather than morals. Sure, the network could imply these guys going at it, but some ticked-off Jesus-freak from Monkey's Elbow, KY will write one of the show's sponsors, who will pull their advertising and bam! - the network freaks out and backs off, despite all evidence showing such complaints are a miniscule portion of their viewership. Other countries have the same sort of nutjobs, but because a lot of their television doesn't depend on outside revenue, they simply ignore them.

US television that isn't dependent on corporate sponsorship (i.e. cable) is on par with other countries, as has been noted.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I think you are wrong here. Unless you are going to equate the UK with London, France with Paris etc, you will find that the backwardness of most of these countries is staggering. It just so happens that our population distributions are different, and fewer people in the US live in the more "advanced" urban areas.
I'm talking about what's consumed on TV. I'm sorry but you can't even begin to argue that things on UK and French television aren't about 20 years ahead of US television, and that means the most widely viewed programs and films. Emmanuelle happened in the 70s. That still couldn't happen here. It also can't be denied that despite the provincial populations that inevitably exist in any country, you're dealing with far more liberal governments in France and the UK as far same sex legislation goes.

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did not read the previous posts due to an exam in 7 hours and class in 5, but I found this.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

WhoKnewI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That video is why I hate religion in any and all forms.

I remember when the gay couple on buffy was a big deal. For a while they had to veil their sexual relationship by showing the two characters doing magic. When they had their first big on screen kiss, it was a huge deal.

I also remember that when one of the gay characters was killed off on the show, Joss Whedon was accused of being ant-gay. Apparently, the two characters had just had sex prior to one of then being killed so gay-rights advocates saw this as Joss Whedon's way of punishing homosexual activity
eh.gif
eh.gif
eh.gif
eh.gif

sunror

Reaction score
ive no problem with us tv being '20 years behind' or its 'backwardness' and 'puritanism' if they mean two more decades without graphic homosexual romps on primetime. just another pleasant american quirk like our relative lack of pervasive antisemitism compared to europe or our overabundance of obese men

GSquared

Reaction score
I think it's interesting that the OP says that 'america is still quite behind', but he uses the term 'the gays'. In my opinion, it seems as if you are a little behind.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GSquared
I think it's interesting that the OP says that 'america is still quite behind', but he uses the term 'the gays'. In my opinion, it seems as if you are a little behind.

Ehh, given my line of work I am surrounded by gay people and I don't think any one of them would take exception to that term. Also remember we're on a forum where half of everything written is tongue in cheek.

In any case, I find the homophobia on this forum to be pretty alarming.

GSquared

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
Ehh, given my line of work I am surrounded by gay people and I don't think any one of them would take exception to that term. Also remember we're on a forum where half of everything written is tongue in cheek.

In any case, I find the homophobia on this forum to be pretty alarming.

I get what you are saying.

I agree that the homophobia is abundant on this site. Interesting enough since a lot of straight men would think that by talking about what we talk about, that we would be gay.

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by WhoKnewI
That video is why I hate religion in any and all forms.

I remember when the gay couple on buffy was a big deal. For a while they had to veil their sexual relationship by showing the two characters doing magic. When they had their first big on screen kiss, it was a huge deal.

I also remember that when one of the gay characters was killed off on the show, Joss Whedon was accused of being ant-gay. Apparently, the two characters had just had sex prior to one of then being killed so gay-rights advocates saw this as Joss Whedon's way of punishing homosexual activity
eh.gif
eh.gif
eh.gif
eh.gif

I hate the whole "you should have gay characters, but don't make them bad-guys, die, wrong, etc" aspect I hear occasionally.

The Doctor Who spin-off "Torchwood" recently killed off a gay character, but it received a huge positive review from critics. Mostly because they didn't treat him as "gay", but rather a main character, who is the love interest of the main character, who happens to be gay. (I.e: being gay wasn't the main quality, like being straight isn't for others).

Of course, some people still reacted with the whole "homophobia" line, which is funny, because the lead actor and the writer are both openly gay.

WhoKnewI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by L.R.
I hate the whole "you should have gay characters, but don't make them bad-guys, die, wrong, etc" aspect I hear occasionally.

The Doctor Who spin-off "Torchwood" recently killed off a gay character, but it received a huge positive review from critics. Mostly because they didn't treat him as "gay", but rather a main character, who is the love interest of the main character, who happens to be gay. (I.e: being gay wasn't the main quality, like being straight isn't for others).

Of course, some people still reacted with the whole "homophobia" line, which is funny, because the lead actor and the writer are both openly gay.

Agreed. One interesting thing about the lesbian relationship in Buffy was that they didn't make an event out of it in the series. There was no coming out episode. none of that social problem of the week crap. you just saw the gradual progression of two female characters who were seemingly falling in love. in fact, their first on screen kiss occurred during an episode where a integral character suddenly passes away from a stroke or something. one character was clearly upset, and the other character kisses her in comfort. Very natural.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads