• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Film thread

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hmmm...you know, there's a well-trafficked IMDb thread that is especially good at providing quick answers to these kinds of questions.

The description reminds me of a bunch of Sug Knight (sp?) - related shenanigans. It seems like Ray Donovan did something like this recently; Straight Outta Compton did this too, I think. And then a few other movies, some of them ripe for parodies or parodies themselves. No idea for the mid-90s, though.

Seems like there's a zillion movies with people dangled head-first from a ledge, but the only solid image I'm getting is Sean Connery in The Rock. :puzzled:

Last edited:

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
I watched Divines last night. It struck me as basically a re-cast (almost feminist) La Haine but not as good. Stereotypical tale of poverty-stricken youth in the french suburban ghetto enchanted by prospect of quick money while also facing whispers of religious re-alignment. and much like la haine, things don't end well...

Dr Huh?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can you fellows help me identify a movie?

Sounds like L.A Confidential

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Crystal hosted the Oscars the year it was released.

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You got it. I rewatched that last year but obviously couldn't place the scene for the life of me. Thanks!

ShoutOutsFoMyBo

Reaction score
la la land was good. several parts that were a little slack or unintentionally surreal but it managed to be more than what it was. ending scenes were enthralling and intensely beautiful.

moonlight was good. great, dreamy cinematography.

Bower

Reaction score
Yestrady I watched "Hail Caesar", by the Cohen brothers. Interesting comedy about the Hollywood golden days

momentoftruth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Moonlight is the best film of 2016, imo.
Agreed, and it's not even close. But La La Land (which I mildly enjoyed, mostly due to its technical aspects) is looking like a juggernaut for the Oscars

Thought I would like MBTS because You Can Count On Me is one of my favorite movies of the past 15-20 years, but it left me cold.

Bower

Reaction score
It´s the first time I hear about Moonlight, thanks, I need to watch it now

colabear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Agreed, and it's not even close. But La La Land (which I mildly enjoyed, mostly due to its technical aspects) is looking like a juggernaut for the Oscars

Thought I would like MBTS because You Can Count On Me is one of my favorite movies of the past 15-20 years, but it left me cold.

La La Land was boring in some parts and the costumes could have been better.
I'm surprised the movie The Light Between Oceans didn't get any nominations. Maybe because it didn't do well at the Boxoffice

Last edited:

Jimmy Balantyne

Reaction score
Just saw 'Manchester by the Sea'. Best film I've seen for a few years, easily.

penanceroyaltea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Loved lala land! Really liked the soundtrack, cinematography, the sets and it was just stylistically very great for me.

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Based on your post history, accordion, I think there's a solid chance you'll love Stillman's earlier films (the fist two especially). And if it turns out you're especially fond of Chris Eigemann, he's great in Noah Baumbach's early films, too. (Mannnered dialogue ftw!)

But not The Last Days of Disco ?

recs for good tv series? i watched the knick after you praised it and thought it was pretty good.

sorry @robinsongreen68 missed this earlier

Glad to hear your enjoyed The Knick, I love that show unconditionally for reasons I don't care to fully pinpoint.

Nothing new that I can recommend as enthusiastically but Atlanta and Fleabag are definitely worth checking out, was also pleasantly surprised by The Girlfriend Experience (haven't seen the film) and The Crown which turned out to be a pretty compelling watch against all odds and a decent balancing act between social commentary and more soapy elements (though for your sake I hope you like your royal drama with a heavy dose of Hans Zimmer). The People vs. OJ was also alright but a bit uneven from episode to episode, couple of great performances and couples of weaker ones too. Quarry was solidly tropey and pulpy but well crafted and with great world building, better imo than Hap and Leonard which sorta takes place in the same post-Vietnam US South setting.

Also watched this whole thing to get my weirdness fix until Twin Peaks is back on, does the job.

If you want multiple seasons shows, Rectify and The Americans are both good to very good depending on the season though Rectify kinda went astray at the end and was at its best in its first season, it's definitely a peculiar kind of show that's worth a try. The Americans is much better and much more than its premise would suggest, might require some suspension of disbelief at times but you need to roll with it.

Broad City is great fun though I dropped it midway through last season, Catastrophe is good too. Not caught up on the new season of Veep, it's ok but feels pretty mild after In the Thick of It.

I also liked The OA a lot though I seem to be in the minority. Sure the ending is anticlimactic, but "payoffs" are such a **** metric to judge works of fiction anyway. And the journey to it, as flawed and pompous as it is, was still more entertaining and refreshing than having to suffer through something like ever turgid and plodding Westworld.

Taboo is good so far, great atmospheric cinematography, candle lights and gloomy sunsets (reminds me of an ok show from last year with Sean Bean which name escapes me, took place around the same time during the Regency). Good that it seems to avoid the hyper stylisation plaguing Peaky Blinders so far, pretty light on ultra slowmo walking scenes so that's a plus.

Don't bother with : Black Mirror (series 3), Sherlock, The Night Manager, Bloodline, The Missing, The Kettering Incident, Glitch, Easy,... and many more I'm sure I forgot

Also dropped Dirk Gently's after one episode, just exhausting fake quirky stuff

Things on my list I might catch up on eventually : Insecure, High Maintenance, You're the Worst.

Also want to give a chance to The Young Pope but can't stand Sorrentino's films.

Last edited:

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So is the Girlfriend Experience not problematic from a social justice point of view? I ask (having only seen one episode) because it seemed Ike a weird clueless white man fantasy of whoredom: the hot, brainy woman turning tricks as a means of empowerment. Laced, maybe, with a flimsy moral message totally undercut by scenes of gorgeously lit breasts. It just seems like the kind of thing Jezebel might rail on, yet they had an article today celebrating its return. :puzzled:

(I guess I consider Last Days of Disco an early film).

(Also, c'mon... Ben Mendelson was amazing in Bloodline).

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads