• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Ethicist: EBay Return

triathlete

Reaction score
I bought an item from an overseas ebay seller in July of this year. The item didn't show for a few months, and he wasn't willing to issue a refund, so I disputed the sale and won. Refund was granted, but the seller wasn't happy with the outcome.

So now, 6 months later, the item shows up, and the postmarks indicate that it had been sent when he claimed, but didn't leave his country until last week. In other words, completely out of his control.

In normal circumstances, I would probably shoot him a note and a payment for the item, and we'd be done. However, the item is a different size than claimed in the original sale, and therefore useless to me.

What's the right thing to do here? Send the item back? Send a note that says "I would refund your refund, except the item is different from claimed, so I'm going to keep your refund on that basis?"

Pawz

Reaction score
Send the item back + half refund. The sale was ill-starred from the get-go methinks.

dv3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"THROW IT BACK! THROW IT BACK!"

It seems the "ethical" decision would be to send it back. The tricky question is: who pays for shipping?

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by srivats
Send him a partial refund and sell the item (here or ebay) and recoup your costs ... hopefully you won't lose any money.

Wrong answer. OP received a refund. The right thing to do is contact the seller and see what they want to do about it.

MaxJones

Reaction score
I'm going to take a wild guess that the overseas seller in question is in Italy, based on it taking 6 months for the package to make it out of the country.

I'd do what Crane's said. From an ethical perspective, letting the seller know what happened is the decent thing to do. Up until now you've done nothing wrong.

tweedydon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crane's
Wrong answer. OP received a refund. The right thing to do is contact the seller and see what they want to do about it.

+1. I agree. I think that the OP should get in touch with the seller and work things out with him. I suspect that the seller would appreciate this since this would mitigate his loss, and would be willing to work out a reasonable compromise.

PS: Not that it matter here, but I actually am a professional ethicist!
smile.gif

Pawz

Reaction score
*shrugs*

I'd rather lose than to take from another. The seller sent the item, and, later a refund. OP lost nothing save shipping (I'm guessing). I would send the item back so the seller can try again with someone else, along with enough of the refund to cover his mailing charges. SOMEone is going to lose out... I'd rather it be me,

Wu Dynasty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pawz
*shrugs* I'd rather lose than to take from another. The seller sent the item, and, later a refund. OP lost nothing save shipping (I'm guessing). I would send the item back so the seller can try again with someone else, along with enough of the refund to cover his mailing charges. SOMEone is going to lose out... I'd rather it be me,
Except the seller is still at fault for sending the wrong size. Buyer has done nothing wrong thus far, why should he take the hit?

Pawz

Reaction score
Wu - You're probably right. Something in the way my brain is wired won't allow me to respond that way, though. -_-

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by triathlete
So now, 6 months later, the item shows up, and the postmarks indicate that it had been sent when he claimed, but didn't leave his country until last week. In other words, completely out of his control.

Was it? Part of being a seller, I'd like to think, is that you are aware of your country's postal issues and inform the buyer accordingly, unless it was a complete one-off fluke.

I'd tell him that if he wants the product back to paypal him the cost of shipping back to him and send it so that he can re-list it and try to recoup whatever he can.

winston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The long delay is really a secondary matter here. You got sent the wrong size, the seller gave a refund (although not for that reason) and so the issue is a common one of who pays for the shipping back to the seller. I never know what to do in circumstances like that. Did you get refunded the cost of shipping the item to you? In the few cases where I've had to return something to an ebay seller I have had to cover postage for both directions, and although I just let it go, it never seems right that way. The seller should not be the one who comes out of it with no loss if he was in the wrong. Tricky.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
Originally Posted by winston
The long delay is really a secondary matter here. You got sent the wrong size, the seller gave a refund (although not for that reason) and so the issue is a common one of who pays for the shipping back to the seller. I never know what to do in circumstances like that. Did you get refunded the cost of shipping the item to you? In the few cases where I've had to return something to an ebay seller I have had to cover postage for both directions, and although I just let it go, it never seems right that way. The seller should not be the one who comes out of it with no loss if he was in the wrong. Tricky.

it happens with Yoox anyway

Pawz

Reaction score
Maybe there was a miscommunication? European sizing differs from Western (assuming for the sake of argument the buyer is a Westerner - I really don't know). And maybe the seller can't afford the loss? If I knew I could afford to not come out on top, then I'd rather absorb it; not everything in life will go my way.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads