• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Definitive Guide to Slim Fit Shirts

Dingusberry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where can I buy very slim OTR shirts for a guy like me?
I mostly wear XS in brands that can offer clothes in that size.
Gitman Bros. Vintage is the ideal shirt right now, but I want to buy OTR dress shirts.

For reference, I am 5'7'' and 120 lbs, with a 14,5'' neck, 35'' chest and 28'' waist.

jns425

Reaction score
Tried sifting through the thread, but couldn't exactly find what I'm looking for...

I have an athletic build- currently 17 neck, 34 waist, 33 sleeve. I have found Theory dress shirts (and sport shirts to be my perfect fit), however I need to find a french cuff shirt. I like solid colors.

The Brooks Brothers slim fit is obviously not slim. Should I try their extra slim fit?

What other brands could I look at? Any" non slim fit " that fits my chest is really baggy through the body.

CSantos

Reaction score
I just wanted to post an update to my post from a few weeks ago about Brooks Brothers Extra Slim Shirts. I just purchased 3 online (sale ends soon!), 15/32's and they fit perfectly! The sleeves truly have higher arm holes and the sleeves are slimmer than the "BB Slim Fit". I also purchased one BB Slim Fit to compare to the BB Extra Slim Fit and the "Slim Fit" if anything, is slimmer in the torso... that's it. The sleeves are large but that might be alright if you are slightly buff and can fill them out.

By the way, I am 5,8", 155, 31 waist, 42 chest, slightly muscular build (for reference).

Thanks to everyone thus far for their advice and input. I love this forum!

red81

Reaction score
I just wanted to post an update to my post from a few weeks ago about Brooks Brothers Extra Slim Shirts. I just purchased 3 online (sale ends soon!), 15/32's and they fit perfectly! The sleeves truly have higher arm holes and the sleeves are slimmer than the "BB Slim Fit". I also purchased one BB Slim Fit to compare to the BB Extra Slim Fit and the "Slim Fit" if anything, is slimmer in the torso... that's it. The sleeves are large but that might be alright if you are slightly buff and can fill them out.

By the way, I am 5,8", 155, 31 waist, 42 chest, slightly muscular build (for reference).

Thanks to everyone thus far for their advice and input. I love this forum!

sounds good, thanks. i need a 16/33, and i have slightly larger arms than slim fits allow for, this looks like a good match for me. i'll try some out when i get a chance.

AmericanLion

Reaction score
I am looking for a slim fit but I have a small chest with a broad back and thick neck. A 16' in neck and a 41 inch chest with a 34/35 sleeve. Does anyone have any suggestions?

jns425

Reaction score
Tried sifting through the thread, but couldn't exactly find what I'm looking for...
I have an athletic build- currently 17 neck, 34 waist, 33 sleeve. I have found Theory dress shirts (and sport shirts to be my perfect fit), however I need to find a french cuff shirt. I like solid colors.
The Brooks Brothers slim fit is obviously not slim. Should I try their extra slim fit?
What other brands could I look at? Any" non slim fit " that fits my chest is really baggy through the body.

Update to my situation. I tried on the extra slim fit dress shirt at Brooks Brothers and it was still too baggy on me. My chest and shoulders are very big relative to my waist. I have literally tried on over a dozen shirts from multiple stores. I went into both Ralph Lauren and Brooks Brothers and asked for their slimmest dress shirt, but once I put on the 17 neck the shirts are huge on me. On a side note - the Ralph Lauren shirt I tried on was $400 (I never would have paid it even if it fit) - I don't understand how they get off charging so much. It really didnt seem like anything special.

I may have potentially found a decent option from Nordstrom though. I tried on their house brand french cuff shirt in the non-slim model. It really wasnt a bad fit at all for being. Still too baggy on me, but I am hopeful that if I can order the slim fit - it could be a great fit. Only draw back is that is it is a very wide spread collar - which I don't love, but for one shirt, I can accept it. If I like it, Nordstrom has a design your own, so I may end up doing that as well.

If that doesnt work, I am giving up and going MTO.

oman112

Reaction score
Does anyone have thoughts on banana republic's tailored slim fit shirt--which is essentially their extra slim fit shirt? They are a good price point, especially during one of their many sales; they are of decent quality and have good style, albeit a little boxy.

Does anyone know how the sizing compares to a TML fully fitted or CT extra slim?

haze324

Reaction score
Update to my situation. I tried on the extra slim fit dress shirt at Brooks Brothers and it was still too baggy on me. My chest and shoulders are very big relative to my waist. I have literally tried on over a dozen shirts from multiple stores. I went into both Ralph Lauren and Brooks Brothers and asked for their slimmest dress shirt, but once I put on the 17 neck the shirts are huge on me. On a side note - the Ralph Lauren shirt I tried on was $400 (I never would have paid it even if it fit) - I don't understand how they get off charging so much. It really didnt seem like anything special.

I may have potentially found a decent option from Nordstrom though. I tried on their house brand french cuff shirt in the non-slim model. It really wasnt a bad fit at all for being. Still too baggy on me, but I am hopeful that if I can order the slim fit - it could be a great fit. Only draw back is that is it is a very wide spread collar - which I don't love, but for one shirt, I can accept it. If I like it, Nordstrom has a design your own, so I may end up doing that as well.

Jns, seems we are on the same boat. Let me know if you find any that work. I'm 5'10 200lbs 17 neck, 33/34 waist and 34 arms, large shoulders and chest. I've been on a hunt for some good fitting shirts to wear with suits for work. So far Nordstrom brands is fitting the best. There's a Nordstrom Rack where I live and I grabbed a few for 35 bucks. Hugo Boss sharp fit, fit me REALLY well ---- but, not really the best quality for work shirts and pricey for daily wear. Though I do have a handful in the closet I have for dinner outings.

So, as of right now Nordstrom brand is the leading winner. I'd suggest when you find one thats close to fitting trying looking up the measurements (waist and chest) for that shirt and then compare the other brands.

kentyman

Reaction score
Does anyone have thoughts on banana republic's tailored slim fit shirt--which is essentially their extra slim fit shirt? They are a good price point, especially during one of their many sales; they are of decent quality and have good style, albeit a little boxy.
Does anyone know how the sizing compares to a TML fully fitted or CT extra slim?

I like 'em. I originally was a BR Slim Fit guy, but have since found them to be not quite slim enough. Their Tailored Slim Fit is much more to my liking, and a steal with any of their 25-40% off coupon codes they have all the time. I will say that their fabric sometimes ends up being a little thicker in their Non-Iron Tailored Slim vs. their Non-Iron Slim, though I'm not sure why. I've also noticed they often have button-down collars instead of regular collars, so keep any eye out depending upon your preference.

I can't compare them to either of the aforementioned shirts because I'm not even sure which brands you're referencing. :)

jns425

Reaction score
Jns, seems we are on the same boat. Let me know if you find any that work. I'm 5'10 200lbs 17 neck, 33/34 waist and 34 arms, large shoulders and chest. I've been on a hunt for some good fitting shirts to wear with suits for work. So far Nordstrom brands is fitting the best. There's a Nordstrom Rack where I live and I grabbed a few for 35 bucks. Hugo Boss sharp fit, fit me REALLY well ---- but, not really the best quality for work shirts and pricey for daily wear. Though I do have a handful in the closet I have for dinner outings.

So, as of right now Nordstrom brand is the leading winner. I'd suggest when you find one thats close to fitting trying looking up the measurements (waist and chest) for that shirt and then compare the other brands.

Yup. Those are very close to my measurments.

For dress shirts - Theory fits me perfectly (they are expensive, but can be found onsale). However, I needed a french cuff shirt, which they don't carry. On a whim I went into Thomas Pink for their 30% off sale and their slim fit was perfect on me! I was really surprised. Not too tight but definitely not loose! It would be expensive to buy a lot of them at regular price, but if I ever was in need for something specific, I would go back to Pink.

I agree that the Hugo Boss shirts are a good fit, but I like cotton poplin, and I have had a tough time finding those. Where have you found the "sharp fit"? I saw those on the Nordstrom website, but I havent been able to try one on yet.

bigtimebuck4

Reaction score
I have had a lot of luck with two pretty cheap brands, Forsyth of Canada and Eagle. They fit me almost perfectly and can be caught on sale for ~$30. Are they as nice as my Zegna or Canali shirts? Obviously not, but at that price point they do the job and the quality (particularly the forsyth shirts) is much better than Calvin Klein and DKNY.

jns425

Reaction score
I have had a lot of luck with two pretty cheap brands, Forsyth of Canada and Eagle. They fit me almost perfectly and can be caught on sale for ~$30. Are they as nice as my Zegna or Canali shirts? Obviously not, but at that price point they do the job and the quality (particularly the forsyth shirts) is much better than Calvin Klein and DKNY.

Where do you find those shirts?

MCanavan6

Reaction score

Update to my situation. I tried on the extra slim fit dress shirt at Brooks Brothers and it was still too baggy on me. My chest and shoulders are very big relative to my waist. I have literally tried on over a dozen shirts from multiple stores. I went into both Ralph Lauren and Brooks Brothers and asked for their slimmest dress shirt, but once I put on the 17 neck the shirts are huge on me. On a side note - the Ralph Lauren shirt I tried on was $400 (I never would have paid it even if it fit) - I don't understand how they get off charging so much. It really didnt seem like anything special.

I may have potentially found a decent option from Nordstrom though. I tried on their house brand french cuff shirt in the non-slim model. It really wasnt a bad fit at all for being. Still too baggy on me, but I am hopeful that if I can order the slim fit - it could be a great fit. Only draw back is that is it is a very wide spread collar - which I don't love, but for one shirt, I can accept it. If I like it, Nordstrom has a design your own, so I may end up doing that as well.

Try TM Lewin Fully Fitted, their shirts are very tapered and might be exactly what you're looking for depending on your chest size.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads