1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Classic White Linen (or Linen Cotton Combo) Trouser

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Soph, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Soph

Soph Senior member

I don't see this alot in Chicago as everyone is obessesed with jeans.

So do any members don the white trousers with oddjackets (cotton/linen) in the summer still?

I think I'll be venturesome and do it more often once it heats up a tad.

Do you prefer a 100% linen or a linen / cotton combo?

2. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

I like the pure stuff. You don't see white in the city much because they get dirty easily. It's a hassle.

3. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

Pure linen is better for trousers, I think, as the fibers are stiffer and the trousers will hang better. Linen-cotton is excellent for shirts, however.

4. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

I prefer 100% linen as well. I have a pair in white, but also prefer a very light beige/tan. Pure white can look too much like resort wear for the city, I think.

5. Soph

Soph Senior member

[​IMG]

Now I don't like RL for clothing but this is how it may look.
    Yes, perhaps the city is just not the place, it does venture into shippy my captain with navy, but perhaps at night on a date with a lovely lady at dinner in the heat of summer? Sans tie. I've also seen in paired with linen sportcoats of light blue, periwinkle etc. that look nice.

6. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Senior member

I have a RLPL pair that I enjoy. I concur with whoopee, though. They're tough to keep clean, so they're only a once-in-a-while indulgence.

7. JBZ

JBZ Senior member

I have two pairs of linen/cotton trousers from LL Bean (one off-white, one light green). They're no doubt not of the best quality, but I really like the way they fit, and they seem to be of good quality for the price. I generally pair them casually on the weekends with one of my aloha shirts and some driving or camp mocs. Someday I'll buy a Panama hat to complete the look.

I could probably also dress them up (at least the off white ones) with a blazer and some dressier loafers or lace ups.

8. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

[​IMG]

Now I don't like RL for clothing but this is how it may look.
    Yes, perhaps the city is just not the place, it does venture into shippy my captain with navy, but perhaps at night on a date with a lovely lady at dinner in the heat of summer? Sans tie. I've also seen in paired with linen sportcoats of light blue, periwinkle etc. that look nice.

The problem with that look for an urban setting is that it looks too fussy. Navy and white is still a very accepted summer combination. Maybe if you are taking a special someone to dinner, lose the tie (as you mentioned) and wear a medium blue high thread count shirt with a button down collar. Also I dont like those buttons, I would actually prefer enameled buttons with either your college crest or some fanciful design to those buttons. It isnt that I like those metal buttons a lot, its that id prefer them to navy blue buttons. natural Horn and mother of pearl are other choices, anything but navy and solid metal finish.

You can make an outfit like this very up to date with a pair of navy or medium blue suede penny loafers.

White pants look good with light grey jackets too. Most shades of blue and of course pinks, although most dont go there...

9. Jovan

Jovan Senior member

I agree, but that is a very natty combo... I may have to look into getting some linen trousers.

10. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

I have a few pairs in 100% linen. They visit the cleaners more frequently than any other garments that I own. So hard to keep clean.

[​IMG]

11. Soph

Soph Senior member

I agree, but that is a very natty combo... I may have to look into getting some linen trousers.

----You're in florida. I'd have two pair. and a ton of linen sportcoats. And the Navy Linen blazer and white, you'd be beating the girls off with a stick assuming you have a convertible?

12. gamelan

gamelan Senior member

not sure about your proximity to a Neiman Marcus but they had a pair of amazing Paul Smith white linen pants on sale for around $300 i believe.

they also had a really nice pair of RLPL 100% wool, cream colored slacks which would look great for more formal summer wear. also on sale at $240 i believe.

-Jeff

13. pkincy

pkincy Senior member

I much much prefer the silk/linen blends. My favorite is a 70 silk/30 linen blend. It has just enough linen to give a hint of a wrinkle but the silk makes it wonderfully soft and easy to wear.

Perry

14. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

The white cotton/linen pants I own have the advantage of being machine washable. A big perk, considering how easily they show dirt.

15. Jovan

Jovan Senior member

----You're in florida. I'd have two pair. and a ton of linen sportcoats. And the Navy Linen blazer and white, you'd be beating the girls off with a stick assuming you have a convertible?
    Uh, I have a white Chevy Lumina. [​IMG] I probably should have invested by now, but I only just started getting into dresswear like... early last year. Not to mention I haven't the greatest amount of money set aside for it unlike others on this forum.

16. surf animal

surf animal Active Member

I have a few pairs in 100% linen. They visit the cleaners more frequently than any other garments that I own. So hard to keep clean.

[​IMG]

Sorry to dereail the thread for a second guys, but hey tom, where did you get those roped slip ons?

17. kabert

kabert Senior member

I've got a pair of ivory-colored silk blend Ralph Lauren slacks that I bought in about 1988 or 1989, and they are still in perfect condition. I most prefer to wear them with a navy or black polo shirt, and no blazer. I tend to think they work better when dressed down a bit.