• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The blasphemous odd vest/ jacket thread

size 38R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah, that one is a miss, a solid grey would have worked better,or a more interesting tie. but, i look forward to your next fit. thanks for posting.

thought i should re post showing the hat, as you can see it matches the vest almost.

no costumes here.........

Last edited:

hweikel888

Reaction score
Excuse the blurred bathroom shot - I was presenting and didn't have much time to take a good picture. The pants look rather awful for some reason, bunched at the center, but alas it was a quick shot in an akward location. Lambswool tweed all around. Sid Mashburn, Ledbury, Epaulet, Oliver Brown, Allen Edmonds.

Last edited:

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You teach Steampunk??????
lol8%5B1%5D.gif

no, seriously with jokes aside, your points are good. though they are your own point of view. of course the top looks costume-ish, but the lower one would look great with a bowler hat.
that said. your style is no different to mine. just a little more uniformed. thanks for posting a fit.
fing02%5B1%5D.gif

come on, hate on my fit...............
nest.gif
lol8%5B1%5D.gif

yes i also wore a hat today. and have an umbrella, it's raining out.

I'm beginning to think that you are either just a bit young or lacking in self-awareness and understanding rather than being a troll as such. The main differences between the examples posted by other forum members and what you are wearing is the difference between a coherent outfit of well-made (not necessarily expensive BTW) clothes that actually fit versus a random collection of things - terrible ties (tied badly), odd suit jackets that don't really fit you that well, what look like dad jeans and uninteresting shoes - that are just thrown together because of what they are (a jacket, a vest, jeans etc.).

I'm a long way from being the best dressed person here, but you need to pay attention to the basics before you can be an effective iconoclast - that is, as several people have already said, if you care and are actually going to benefit from being in this particular section of the forum at all.

You might think you know better than everyone else here, you only seem to know what you are doing on one level ("I want to look like X"), but it really doesn't look like you have much of a clue on most other levels - particularly fit, coherence and quality. If you have the fit, coherence and quality down, you can do whatever the hell you like. You really don't. Not at all.

And BTW, this would be the same in SW&D, althoughthey go to different places with these basic ideas. You might want to look up a poster called Man of Kent. He does the vintage workwear / quirky British thing exceptionally well.

Last edited:

size 38R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks great! hope the presentation went well. pay no mind to the trolls on here. good fit, keep posting.
fing02[1].gif

and flying monkey, i worked out that you and several other poorly dressed fellows are trolls days ago, and even had fun with it, but you lost all credibility in this thread by posting a picture of yourself steam-punk style , while proclaiming to be an expert in good taste.

let me guess, this is an "approved" fit. everything you have said about my fits is evident in this pic, not only that, you claim to teach about menswear while wearing this! bad tie, poorly fitting jacket,etc,etc. you have missed the mark on what this thread is about. i won't spell it out for you. take your time........

Last edited:

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, definitely a troll. I did try, but the ignore list beckons.

Last edited:

size 38R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
now, back to the topic. today's fit was inspired by some research on the wearing of odd vests and jackets. with the common man in mind. no 1920's high roller joke theme.
my outfit was chosen to illustrate my own take on the following picture..

if you have seen the show "mr selfridge" you know this guy's character is a bad guy. but i liked the wardrobe they gave him. plenty of odd items, -working class menswear.
same as i like the british tv shows that often have a extra or two dressed in this style.
here are some more fits that caught my eye.

love the cuffed jeans/pants. and outfits that look purposeful and comfortable.

this is a fantastic odd fit. even though i'm not sure about the vest pocket. the whole piece together just works.

ChetB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Last edited:

size 38R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
let me guess, this is an "approved" fit. everything you have said about my fits is evident in this pic, not only that, you claim to teach about menswear while wearing this! bad tie, poorly fitting jacket,etc,etc. you have missed the mark on what this thread is about. i won't spell it out for you. take your time........

Ok, definitely a troll. I did try, but the ignore list beckons.
Confirmed it for me as well. Not going to ignore, but the novelty of bothering with this thread has worn off. The fun was in the ambiguity.

size 38R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Confirmed it for me as well. Not going to ignore, but the novelty of bothering with this thread has worn off. The fun was in the ambiguity.
facepalm.gif

really, you trolls haven't stopped for days, along with some others. credit to you claghorn for trying a fit on the thread. and being honest about it.
but a guy who seriously believes he is correct, even though he clearly has no idea.can influence you?
he is like the scholars who taught that the world is flat. yeah i played with you trolls, even wore some crazy fits. and had fun doing it. but the bottom line is, with you trolls gone, some people who really enjoy wearing odd vest/jackets can post their fits up. and they can discuss the things they admire about different looks.

instead of just being either elitist, or trolling.

size 38R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm beginning to think that you are either just a bit young(same age as you roughly) or lacking in self-awareness(Hardly) and understanding rather than being a troll as such. The main differences between the examples posted by other forum members and what you are wearing is the difference between a coherent outfit of well-made (not necessarily expensive BTW) clothes that actually fit versus a random collection of things - terrible ties(Paul Smith) (tied badly)(Same knot as your lower picture), odd suit jackets that don't really fit you that well(Single button s/c,exactly my size), what look like dad jeans(some of us have the need for crotch space) and uninteresting shoes(meh, i like them) - that are just thrown together because of what they are (a jacket, a vest, jeans etc.). they were just thrown together, good work thelma.

and this thread IS thrown together outfits. jeeeeeeeez! work it out.
facepalm.gif

Last edited:

size 38R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Same. My block list has really been getting quite large lately...

lol8[1].gif
and you still believe you are not the problem, you sir, are a troll.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Some of what you advocate can be done well, but you've shown no inclination in any of your fits to make the attempt. People have given some excellent advice on how to wear a jacket with jeans and how to wear an odd vest; you've not followed it. Instead, you post very similar bad fits with a troll face over yours. Hence people...myself included...think you are a troll and are being deliberately obtuse. This is further reinforced by MF posting a fit which he clearly identifies as a costume used for a lesson for his college students (if I recall, it was something about the Edwardian period). It's fairly accurate (MF, didn't you track down a detachable color). That this was lost on you seems deliberate.

A lot of what looks good is how you carry it off, I agree. I couldn't dress like Tira and look as good as he does. And to an even greater extent, judging what looks good outside of tradition as a standard--relying on aesthetic--is subjective. I don't disagree with you there either. But people on SF love clothes. They love clothes a lot more than the average person on the street. This makes their subjective opinion worth more than the people on the street when it comes to judging clothing. Now if I were merely talking about the admittedly conservative MC crowd, you might have a semblance of a case, but I'm not. SW&D would rip on you just as hard--harder actually--as some of us are.

If you were to create a poll in either subforum with your fits and asked "do I look good" I'd bet dollars to donuts you'd get a resounding no in both places for the same reasons. This should indicate something to you. Maybe people on the street like the way you look. Maybe you like the way you look. That's all well and good, and if that's enough for you, that's fine. But to argue that the opinion of some girl behind the bar, trawling for tips, or that of some random guy in the line in front of you at the grocery store--or that of a 10/10 knockout in a sexy black dress and **** me heels--matters more than the good folks of SF when it comes to clothing...is stupid. You can cater your clothing to that knockout...nobody would begrudge you that...but that doesn't make the outfit good. It just means that the woman has bad tastes by the standards (again, both SWD and CM) of people who really like clothing and really understand it. And it means you'll get laid.

But don't confuse the two.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads