• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Best Condiments?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnapril
fresh Maille
+ 1. Right out of the tap at the Maille store in Paris
worship.gif

pscolari

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Both Roland and Delouis Fils are better than Maille, IMO. Hell, I like Grey Poupon better than Maille. This is strictly for cooking and sauces, to be clear.

Thanks for the recommendation. Usually we have maille (with seeds and dijon) in the fridge. I am also a fan of Cape Cod Honey Mustard for sandwiches.

Sriracha is always on hand too.

Usually in the Spring I'll make a bunch of pickles to carry through the year. Sometimes we will do quick and others will be properly canned. A great excuse to then grill out. Gotta use them up somehow.

Anyone else make their own pickles?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
To be clear, I like the Maille whole grain a lot better than the Dijon. For Dijon, I always go elsewhere. For whole grain, Maille will do.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Different strokes.... The only thing I really like from Delouis is their chilled mayonnaise. I much prefer Maille for Dijon

PITAronin

Reaction score
For what it's worth (and bearing in mind that fresher will always trump not-so fresh) there was a taste review of U.S. and French dijon mustards in an examination copy of Cook's Illustrated that arrived in the mail over the weekend. On their recommended list were: Roland Extra Strong Dijon Mustard, Grey Poupon, Delouis Fils Moutarde de Dijon, French's Napa Valley Stle Dijon(!), and Barhyte Select Dijon. Their tasters did not care for: Roland Organic Extra Strong, Maille Dijon Originale, Plochman's Premium Dijon, and Inglehoffer Hot Dijon.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My current fav hot sauce is Marie Sharp's but I plan to try some that have been recommended here.

Has anybody tried any of the Nando's Sauces (Peri Peri). I tried some once and thought it was excellent.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
i thought all mayo had lime juice in it. isn't the basic recipe for mayo egg whites, lime juice, and oil?
Usually it's lemon juice and/or vinegar. Lime just gives it a nice citrus taste that goes great on anything.
Originally Posted by RJman
That's the one I was trying to think of. Definitely HP sauce.
I prefer Chef's sauce over HP with my meats and chips. Also doesn't taste bad in your tea. I'll also throw in a vote for Salsa Lizano and Thai sweet chili sauce I buy all the time.

CBDB

Reaction score
Originally Posted by diorshoe
anyone heard of Pico Pica?

My vote is for Valentina Picante from Mexico. The finest tasting hot sauce I've ever had although next to impossible to find in Toronto.
frown.gif

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like my Dijon mustard blushing hot, so it has to be the freshest Amora (usually sent or brought from France, I think you can find it in Canada, I did once). Maille is too blah most of the time in the US. Mustard from Ghent, Belgium, is not bad, but I get tired of it, whereas I am never tired of Dijon mustard.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
To be clear, I like the Maille whole grain a lot better than the Dijon. For Dijon, I always go elsewhere. For whole grain, Maille will do.

At home, my mom always bought Moutarde de Meaux, Pommery. I think it's available in the US. I don't like the "whole grain" mustards all that much, but my recollection is that the Pommery is thicker than the Maille. Might work better for coating a chicken, for ex.

HitMan009

Reaction score
What? Not a mention of Oyster Sauce? When I was a kid, I would put in almost anything. Still a big fan of ketchup and Hellman's for mayo.

I haven't tried the some of the hot sauces here but I like Tabasco Original. Frank's Red Hot is the way to go if one is to make buffalo wings. How do the other brands mentioned here stackup in terms of flavor and heat? If I see them when I go grocery shppping, I will pick them up otherwise I don't think I would go to all the trouble just to obtain hot sauce. Sirachi is great, I love the sweet and slow burn it provides. As for mustard, I agree that Maille in the US is a bit weak but if one were to get the fresh ones from the Maille store in Paris, they provide a quick burst of heat that is quite difficult to describe but it's great. Also, when used to make a vinaigrette, nothing compares to it.

Kevin

Reaction score
Any discussion of hot sauce begins and ends with Frank's Red Hot.

Adds tang and flavor, not just heat. Plus it's the key component to the orgininal Buffalo wing sauce.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads