• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Best Condiments?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Realizing that my fridge is in need of some new mustards and such, I wonder if anyone has any strong opinions about the best brands for the following:

Best dijon mustard:
Best hot sauce:
Best mayonnaise:

Feel free to add any other condiments.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I don't know if it's the best, but that grainy Maille mustard always has a place in my fridge. Great with ham, sausage, etc. Also, IMO you must have a thing of regular cheap yellow mustard for when you want a pretzel - something fancy does NOT work for that.

I'll wait to see what the other answers are though, my hot sauce selection is sad.

You also need some Beaver brand extra hot white horseradish for prime rib and dip sandwiches, etc.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Best mayonaise is always homemade, but for sandwiches Hellmans/Best Foods is even better.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
For hot sauces, I really like the "smoked" Tabasco chipotle sauce, and I also like to keep some chili garlic sauce from Huy Fong Foods.

For a variation on mayo, you might try some JFG salad dressing. Sweeter than mayo, and good on deli-meat sandwiches. (Though I can't imagine putting it on a salad.)

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I always figured that stuff they call "salad dressing" was for tuna salad, chicken salad, those church-lady potluck jello salads and stuff that you would otherwise use mayo in. It always grossed me out thinking of a blob of it on a pile of lettuce. Maybe that's why I never buy "salad dressing" like Best Foods.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm never without horseradish sauce. I make it myself. Super strong, with plenty of bite. Fantastic.
2143986075.jpg

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm also interested in what sort of dijon mustards people use. I've always just used the Maille stuff. I'm sure there are more artisinal brands that would be fun to try.

I recently upgraded my olive oil to Ravagni EVO. It's not technically a condiment, but it's used for so many things that I figured I'd throw it in.

And to follow on J's comments, the best salad dressings are always home-made. The bottled stuff is atrocious. Dijon and evo can make a wonderful vinaigrette. You can also do tons of stuff with fresh fruit.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Both Roland and Delouis Fils are better than Maille, IMO. Hell, I like Grey Poupon better than Maille. This is strictly for cooking and sauces, to be clear.

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
about the only hot sauce that is consistently in our fridge is some good ol' fashioned Sriracha. hope i'm spelling that right. nothing fancy and it tastes good with just about anything.

-Jeff

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Tuong ot toi Viet Nam

Aioli

Worcestershire sauce

Bottled hell

Fresh black pepper

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the Jack Daniels mustard . . . but lately I don't see it.
animated_eyes.gif

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
I recently upgraded my olive oil to Ravagni EVO. It's not technically a condiment, but it's used for so many things that I figured I'd throw it in.

For olive oil, I like Ardoino:

ardoino.jpg

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
I'm also interested in what sort of dijon mustards people use. I've always just used the Maille stuff. I'm sure there are more artisinal brands that would be fun to try.

And to follow on J's comments, the best salad dressings are always home-made. The bottled stuff is atrocious. Dijon and evo can make a wonderful vinaigrette. You can also do tons of stuff with fresh fruit.

Apparently (I just checked), we use Deloius mustard. Also we usually have Bubbies horseradish and Heinz ketchup. There is better tasting ketchup out there, but Heinz actually tastes like ketchup. I can't remember the last time it was used though. Olive oil is a can of worms. There is so much pretense in the use of olive oil that it is mind boggling. I even see people sauteeing with $30 bottles of olive olil which is the same thing as burning money. There is really no need to use even exta virgin for sauteeing, but we do anyway. I believe that Spectrum is the brand that we use for cooking. The "high-end" olive oil market is even more ridiculous. We generally use Tenuto di Numero Uno, l'Estornell or some other one that I can't remember. All have been around much longer than the olive oil craze and are mid-priced in the scheme of things. The only thing more ridiculous than olive oil is salt. I remember in the early 90s when I was working in the kitchen of a very good restaurant in San Francisco, we always used the sea salt in the blue tube. I think that it tastes ****** and prefer one in a white tube that comes from Italy. Back then we used fleur de sel to finish dishes, but never put anything about it on the menu because nobody had ever heard of it. Now it is on every menu in America and people actually cook with the stuff. Hilarious! There is a place in San Francisco where they sell 20 different salts and eveything they make there is nasty.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
Worcestershire sauce

+1

And HP sauce. It's the absolute best thing to accompany eggs. Ketchup is disgusting.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AsleyJaron