• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Dear Mastro @DWFII ,

May I know if the faux broguing is done before or after lasting?

If it has to be done after lasting, would stitching present a further technical challenge on seamless wholecuts?

Well, it can be done before or after. But it is always done after the leather has been blocked.

Understanding the difference between blocking and lasting, any stitching would be no more difficult than the broguing.

Last edited:

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What leather did you use there?

I don't really know. It was something I picked up as a 'job lot'...I liked the feel of it (the temper) and the fact that it was 'struck through'. I suspect it was/is a veg retan.

By the time the photo was taken I had already slipped them on to assess the fit...so the photo is not a 'presentation' photo. In any case, the fit was very, very good--as it always is (on my feet at least)...and I wear them as a dress shoe (with my bespoke suit which is very dk. green) relatively often.

Last edited:

Coldfire3k3

Reaction score
Could someone give me tips on key points to consider when evaluating the fit of a bespoke pair of shoes?

My understanding is that the heel should be held firmly, the toes should be able to wiggle and have some room, the vamp and sides should have a snug glove-like feel and the footbed of the shoe should follow the arch of your feet.

Is this correct?

bjhofkin

Reaction score
Sounds about right but you forgot the part about feeling a certain sensation in your…well, you know…

Could someone give me tips on key points to consider when evaluating the fit of a bespoke pair of shoes?

My understanding is that the heel should be held firmly, the toes should be able to wiggle and have some room, the vamp and sides should have a snug glove-like feel and the footbed of the shoe should follow the arch of your feet.

Is this correct?

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score
Well, it can be done before or after. But it is always done after the leather has been blocked.

Understanding the difference between blocking and lasting, any stitching would be no more difficult than the broguing.

Thanks. I need more knowledge before asking the question :p

I posted my more detailed review in another thread, for those who are interested.

Coldfire3k3

Reaction score
How important is it to send bespoke shoes back to the manufacturer for resoling? What’s the risk in getting a good local cobbler to resole them instead?

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
How important is it to send bespoke shoes back to the manufacturer for resoling? What’s the risk in getting a good local cobbler to resole them instead?

Theoretically, the fundamental reason that HW'd bespoke shoes evolved the way they did was to maximize longevity and make resoling as easy and straight-forward as possible.

So...theoretically...if the shoe repairman (any shoe repairman) really does know his stuff and respects the shoe and the intentions of the maker, he should be able to return the shoes to nearly new condition, structurally, at least. Aesthetically, who knows?

Bottom line, however, is that you, as the customer, really don't know how skilled or experienced a repairman is simply because all you see is the superficial end result. And you don't have any way of knowing what materials he used (compared to the original maker) or whether he really and truly understands how shoes should be made. Many, if not most, repairmen have never made a shoe.

So...logically, you're always taking a chance with a third party getting involved. Less so with the original maker.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I believe @Nick V. could do the job. If I recall correctly many of his employees were trained primarily to make shoes, not cobble them so they would likely have the know how.

Coldfire3k3

Reaction score
Is gimping / pinking on brogued shoes a standard feature of high end / bespoke shoes or more based on personal preference?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads