• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

marlinspike

Reaction score
Wouldn't it be possible to widen the waist of the shoes so that the midsoles aren't much narrower than the feet at those points?

If you did it that way, it would look like wearing kleenex boxes (for instance, if you draw the contact patch of my foot you have two parallel lines that suddenly widen right before the ankle then curves to join a the heel). One thing I wonder about is just an incredible amount of stiffening in the arch. I think if you match the flat foot's "arch" perfectly (since, being rigid, anything slightly too high hurts), it could work.

Son Of Saphir

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One thing I wonder about is just an incredible amount of stiffening in the arch. I think if you match the flat foot's "arch" perfectly (since, being rigid, anything slightly too high hurts), it could work.

My maker also suggested that.
He also suggested the opposite so it was really soft and molded to my feet without gaping outward.
We also talked about making kleenex boxes for shoes.
None of the solutions were ideal so we parted ways.

Son Of Saphir

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think if you match the flat foot's "arch" perfectly (since, being rigid, anything slightly too high hurts), it could work.

The problem is that the arch changes as you sit and stand.
The entire fit of the shoe will completely change from sitting to walking.
Even Delos would not be able to find a solution for that without making a major compromise.

jazznpool

Reaction score
For those here who have had their bespoke shoes delivered from overseas, I am wondering if you paid US Customs duty or not? One of the English shoemakers recently said that in her experience customers seldom pay duty when the shoes are shipped UPS. I’m just wondering what to expect.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For those here who have had their bespoke shoes delivered from overseas, I am wondering if you paid US Customs duty or not? One of the English shoemakers recently said that in her experience customers seldom pay duty when the shoes are shipped UPS. I’m just wondering what to expect.
I wasn't charged customs from Nicholas.

marlinspike

Reaction score
Assuming you are importing into America, you get up to $800 per person per day duty free. Once over $800 you pay customs on the full amount, not just the amount over $800. USPS (which does the import side of anything shipped by a national post service) is the most likely to turn a blind eye, but over $2500 through USPS is a HUGE pain, whereas the private shippers do the work for you, but they also charge brokerage fees and it is very unlikely a shipment of even $801 makes it through without paying import). That said our taxes are pretty low on importing shoes, and I was able to get my shoes classified as a medical device (so no taxes) because I have a medical condition that the bespoke shoes accommodate.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a medical condition that the bespoke shoes accommodate.
Oh that’s a good one. What was the percentage on that?

Assuming you are importing into America, you get up to $800 per person per day duty free
Is this the general rule for traveling abroad? If I bring something back, I have 800/day I’m abroad (eg. 10 day trip = 8k in goods).

USPS (which does the import side of anything shipped by a national post service) is the most likely to turn a blind eye, but over $2500 through USPS is a HUGE pain, whereas the private shippers do the work for you, but they also charge brokerage fees and it is very unlikely a shipment of even $801 makes it through without paying import).

So fedex or any other shipping company, we will get charged import taxes (I don’t call it duties because they’re taxes, not duties)

marlinspike

Reaction score
Oh that’s a good one. What was the percentage on that?

Is this the general rule for traveling abroad? If I bring something back, I have 800/day I’m abroad (eg. 10 day trip = 8k in goods).

So fedex or any other shipping company, we will get charged import taxes (I don’t call it duties because they’re taxes, not duties)

The medical condition is not some ploy. I have a diagnosis and prescription to go with it.

And no, when you travel you just get $800 per person (but it doesn't have to be each person, e.g. a husband and wife can bring back just 1 item for the man that is $1600 and still not be taxed).

All of them follow the same $800 per person per day, USPS seems to be the most willing to look the other way on say 850 but also is a pain over 2500. Fedex will generally deliver first and bill you later, but they are the only ones who do that (and they will send you to collections if you don't pay), the others you have to pay before you can get the item.

marlinspike

Reaction score
The medical condition is not some ploy. I have a diagnosis and prescription to go with it.

And no, when you travel you just get $800 per person (but it doesn't have to be each person, e.g. a husband and wife can bring back just 1 item for the man that is $1600 and still not be taxed).

All of them follow the same $800 per person per day, USPS seems to be the most willing to look the other way on say 850 but also is a pain over 2500. Fedex will generally deliver first and bill you later, but they are the only ones who do that (and they will send you to collections if you don't pay), the others you have to pay before you can get the item.

Following up on myself, I think you're looking at 10% on non-pigskin leather upper leather soled shoes. Of the countries on the tariff free list I think only Singapore is likely to have good bespoke makers (but frankly I have no idea if they do).

ZRH1

Reaction score
Following up on myself, I think you're looking at 10% on non-pigskin leather upper leather soled shoes. Of the countries on the tariff free list I think only Singapore is likely to have good bespoke makers (but frankly I have no idea if they do).
yes, Josh Leong is based here. Also tariffs are not taxes, they are additional.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All of them follow the same $800 per person per day
Ohhh you’re saying per person per day. Heaven forbid you have 2 artisans that send you something on the same day.

marlinspike

Reaction score
Ohhh you’re saying per person per day. Heaven forbid you have 2 artisans that send you something on the same day.

Yes, it's all the imported packages addressed to your house going through customs on the same day, it doesn't even matter if they are from different countries. And btw they may go through customs on the same day even though they were shipped a week apart. Also, it's not the real current exchange rate, it is a published exchange rate "updated" daily but not actually updated daily and usually lags only if it is detrimental to you for it to lag.

jazznpool

Reaction score
Emiko mentioned shoes (delivered in London) are free from VAT if the person has certain foot conditions like low arches, hammertoes or other deformities. Not sure what the threshold is or if some kind of podiatry diagnosis is required.

marlinspike

Reaction score
Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads