• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The beginnings of a shoe collection

rapide66

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Keeping in mind I'm still in my last year of undergrad and soon to join the workforce in front office finance as a full-time, what are your thoughts on my current collection and what I can add over the next few years. Also note that I-banking can be very conservative. As such, would you guys think a shoe with slight patina or antiquated leather (like Edward Green's cloud calf) would be too showy for a 1st year Analyst?

Top right -> Clockwise
Edward Green 888 Gladstone
Crockett & Jones 348 Edgware
Crockett & Jones 348 Hallam
Carmina Alcudia Adelaide

Last edited:

Makoto Chan

Reaction score
Those are very nice shoes for a first year on the job, not to mention for an undergrad student. You'll be fine - but I think you should expect to wear black shoes almost every day, so plan your next pair accordingly.

rapide66

Reaction score
Yeah that's a good point, but even if I go grab another black one sometime later, would you recommend a derby or single monk just for the sake of diversity?

starro

Reaction score
Maybe a black plain toe for dressy evening functions?

Shawl Lapel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Um, looks like a pretty good shoe collection for a grad student to me. You could probably get away with something in a brown museum though if you wanted to add some diversity.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very impressive for an undergraduate student, you will add more over time. No need to purchase any more shoes unless it is a great price. The only thing I would recommend more is a shoe tree for that C&J without a shoe tree.

pravda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree. Kudos to you on the shoe collection. I can tell, you got the bug.

Testudo_Aubreii

Reaction score
Those are all very dressy/formal shoes. I'd say you need something a touch more casual, and it'd be good if it were a boot (for rainy days etc.): Dark-or-mid brown calf wingtip, dark-or-mid brown calf semi-brogue, or dark brown suede plain toe or stitch cap.

P.S. All four of your pairs are nice.

Last edited:

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1st year analyst? Stop pimping shoes.

Get more black shoes. Consider traveling shoes as well.

Stay put before you show up at working in full menswear mode.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads