• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Avengers (05.04.2012)

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I just see this as him testing the waters and maybe getting a bigger dime on the next project, considering downey got a cool $50,000,000!!!! from the movie, compared to 3m for samuel l. jackson and scarlett, and 2m for the other avengers...

I'm not so sure it's a power play for a bigger paycheck. Whedon is a creative guy and it is easy to see him wanting to move on to projects he has more control over and are not tied to so much history and fan expectations. That being said, I will be sad if he doesn't sign on for part 2.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I still think he had plenty of compromises in the film (Acura ads everywhere, seriously!) so I could see him walking because of that. Product placement kills movies at times and I really can't get that stupid, unnecessary run around the Acura MDX scene. It was pointless and just stupid. Marvel also likes to control where and how the movie moves so I wouldn't be surprised if the Avengers 2 is directed by someone else.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If his heart isn't in it, he shouldn't do it period. That's how we end up with Iron Man 2s.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sad truth is this what Marvel/Disney does. So expect Capt. America 2 and Thor 2 to be the same, pretty much a prequel/ad for the Avengers. I mean Capt. America was practically a prequel to the Avengers.

If you’ve seen Iron Man 2 then you noticed that it wasn’t quite the movie we’d all hoped for. Actually it wasn’t very good. Part of the problem was the movie seemed wrapped around an odd, Avengers-focused, subplot which never really fit into the story. Jon Favreau may not have liked it any more than you or I do.

Our source says Iron Man 2 wasn’t the movie Jon Favreau wanted to make. Marvel interfered heavily with his work on the movie and turned the project into an infomercial for The Avengers. Favreau felt the movie was rushed into production (and if you followed the development process you know it was) and they pushed him into making it without a fully realized script. Iron Man 2 wasn’t the movie he wanted to make and because of that, if there’s an Iron Man 3, there’s every reason to think he won’t be back. Marvel doesn’t want to pay him and Favreau may not want to deal with more Marvel interference.

Favreau wasn’t the only one unhappy with Iron Man 2. Robert Downey Jr. saw those same problems and according to our source, “While he's locked for Iron Man 3, chances are, that will be his last movie.” In the meantime, Downey will get (and probably deserves) top billing in The Avengers.

Mickey Rourke Elaborates On Iron Man 2 Problems And Marvel's "Mindless Comic Book Movies"!

I got the impression that even though you’re technically the "bad guy" in the movie, that he seemed to really sympathize with your character a lot.

Well, I always try to bring that to a character. It’s like when I did Ivan Vanko in Iron Man, I fought… You know, I explained to Justin Theroux, to the writer, and to [Jon] Favreau that I wanted to bring some other layers and colors, not just make this Russian a complete murderous revenging bad guy. And they allowed me to do that. Unfortunately, the [people] at Marvel just wanted a one-dimensional bad guy, so most of the performance ended up the floor.

Well, you know, it is f**king too bad, but it’s their loss. If they want to make mindless comic book movies, then I don’t want to be a part of that. I don’t want to have to care so much and work so hard, and then fight them for intelligent reasoning, and just because they’re calling the shots they… You know, I didn’t work for three months on the accent and all the adjustments and go to Russia just so I could end up on the floor. Because that can make somebody say at the end of the day, oh f**k ‘em, I’m just going to mail it in. But I’m not that kind of guy. I’m never going to mail it in.

I could tell you didn’t mail it in on 'Iron Man'...

No, but I’m saying it’s frustrating when that happens, when you care so much and you try so hard. At the end of the day you’ve got some nerd with a pocketful of money calling the shots. You know, Favreau didn’t call the shots. I wish he would have. And Theroux, we worked together to bring layers to that character, so, you know, I fight for that any time I’m playing like a bad guy.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
I have never read that before and I have to say, Mickey Rourke is awesome. It seemed to me that Whedon got a lot more leeway on Avengers though. I mean complain about piddly things like product placement if you want but he got to do what he wanted with the characters. I'll be interested to see the director's cut.

gort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I still think he had plenty of compromises in the film (Acura ads everywhere, seriously!) so I could see him walking because of that. Product placement kills movies at times and I really can't get that stupid, unnecessary run around the Acura MDX scene. It was pointless and just stupid. Marvel also likes to control where and how the movie moves so I wouldn't be surprised if the Avengers 2 is directed by someone else.

I don't remember an Acura MDX scene. Can you refresh my memory?

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I don't remember an Acura MDX scene. Can you refresh my memory?

When they landed in NY, they got out of the ship and ran around the back of the MDX so you can see it is an Acura. It was a minor thing but was still somewhat distracting and felt really disconnected like it was a commercial. Was just pointless to show or even shoot the scene. In reality it was like 3-5 seconds but in a sequence where it is all action, it felt like forever.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Said it before, but I have seen far wose product placement and didn't think it was that big of a deal at all in Avengers. Calm down guys.

:foo:

Last edited:

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Said it before, but I have seen far wose product placement and didn't think it was that big of a deal at all in Avengers. Calm down guys.

Eh, no ones overreacting. I just feel that it might be a reason Whedon might not come back.

And just because it isn't the worse doesn't mean it should be done. I've seen a worse movie than Daredevil doesn't mean they should keep bringing out crap like it all the time. I mean Elektra, really?

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think Whedon understands how Holywood works enough to not let a minor thing like product placement of vehicles hold him back from making a film based on characters he grew up with and loves.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Also am I the only one who thought Daredevil was not a horrible film?

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I think Whedon understands how Holywood works enough to not let a minor thing like product placement of vehicles hold him back from making a film based on characters he grew up with and loves.

Its not just product placement but also changing the whole movie. See the Favreau story again and why IronMan 2 wasn't as good as IronMan.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
well, i hope they don't **** up a good thing. i rewatched X-Men FC today, and it still holds up well. these two Marvel movies plus the Dark Knight movies tells me that Hollywood has started to figure out how to do justice to a comic book film....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads