• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Apple Discussion Thread

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think Dvorak might just be an idiot. Here's his most recent tweet where he doesn't realize that the wording jsut got truncated and it is telling him to bring his cart up to $35 to qualify for free 2 hour delivery:
1666214338825.png

He's said a lot of dumb stuff over the years.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally replacing my 2014 5K iMac, which has given yeoman service but is now on the obsolete list and can't get further OS updates. Went with a maxed out M2 MacBook Air and a Studio Display, which seemed like the best combo for my relatively undemanding usage. The Black Friday discounts paid for some AirPods Max to tick one thing off my daughter's Christmas list.

jack webb

Reaction score
Finally replacing my 2014 5K iMac, which has given yeoman service but is now on the obsolete list and can't get further OS updates. Went with a maxed out M2 MacBook Air and a Studio Display, which seemed like the best combo for my relatively undemanding usage. The Black Friday discounts paid for some AirPods Max to tick one thing off my daughter's Christmas list.
In the same boat. My late 2015 MacBook Pro won't run the latest MacOS update, so it is probably time to upgrade. Thinking about a 2020 refurbished Mac Air with the M1 chip, which would suit my purposes.

Now about that iPhone 6 that doesn't hold its charge so well anymore...

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In the same boat. My late 2015 MacBook Pro won't run the latest MacOS update, so it is probably time to upgrade. Thinking about a 2020 refurbished Mac Air with the M1 chip, which would suit my purposes.

Now about that iPhone 6 that doesn't hold its charge so well anymore...
You sure? My late 2013 MacBook Pro gets all the updates (but I did max out all the graphics/ram/etc at purchase)

jack webb

Reaction score

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
According to this Apple support page that device won't run the latest MacOS (Ventura):

oh, I didn't know there was something after Big Sur. Having been to Both Ventura and Big Sur, I'm not sure how Ventura is an upgrade.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Having been to Both Ventura and Big Sur, I'm not sure how Ventura is an upgrade.
Our friends have a house on Rincon Point. That's pretty nice. Oddly the county line runs right through the middle of the creek/lagoon, so their nearby neighbors are in Santa Barbara while they are in Ventura.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Why are iPads still so goddamn expensive?

Not the fancy pro models, just the normal ones. You can get older generations for what look like decent prices until you see that across the board they start you with a piddly little 64gb of storage and demand $150 for an upgrade (even on the oldest models).

64gb is a joke, storage is dirt cheap these days...that $150 upcharge is probably 99.5% profit.

The iPad mini is also expensive AF...it literally costs more than the most feature-comparable full size iPad (the 10th gen--the M1-powered iPad Air is $100 more, but that seems like a less-fair comparison).

My wife just needs something to replace her ancient android tablet that is used for airplane movie watching 99% of the time. Android tablets aren't ideal, but I can get a crappy Lenovo for like $120 (or less for min-sized), throw a giant microSD card in it, and be set. It might not get updates or be the best hardware, but as long as it can play video files, run the Plex app, and use a web browser/airline app to play content, it will fit the bill.
Best you can do on an ipad is a several-year-old model for $400 unless you want to be hobbled with 64gb storage.

edit: I mean ****...here's a new galaxy tab s6 for $250 including a pen and a microsd slot. That's a 2022 model, and since it is a samsung it will at least get software updates...and it comes with an accessory apple charges $129 for (though I assume the android pen experience is pretty sub-par and my wife will never use it).

Last edited:

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why are iPads still so goddamn expensive?

Not the fancy pro models, just the normal ones. You can get older generations for what look like decent prices until you see that across the board they start you with a piddly little 64gb of storage and demand $150 for an upgrade (even on the oldest models).

64gb is a joke, storage is dirt cheap these days...that $150 upcharge is probably 99.5% profit.

The iPad mini is also expensive AF...it literally costs more than the most feature-comparable full size iPad (the 10th gen--the M1-powered iPad Air is $100 more, but that seems like a less-fair comparison).

My wife just needs something to replace her ancient android tablet that is used for airplane movie watching 99% of the time. Android tablets aren't ideal, but I can get a crappy Lenovo for like $120 (or less for min-sized), throw a giant microSD card in it, and be set. It might not get updates or be the best hardware, but as long as it can play video files, run the Plex app, and use a web browser/airline app to play content, it will fit the bill.
Best you can do on an ipad is a several-year-old model for $400 unless you want to be hobbled with 64gb storage.
I've been an Apple whore since the Bondi blue iMac days.
Two things I still have never bought into, the iPad and the watch, and I'm warming up to the watch with the new Ultra model.
I always take my MacBook Air when I travel and it does everything I need, and takes up very little space.
iPads are really popular, but I don't really get it.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've been an Apple whore since the Bondi blue iMac days.
Two things I still have never bought into, the iPad and the watch, and I'm warming up to the watch with the new Ultra model.
I always take my MacBook Air when I travel and it does everything I need, and takes up very little space.
iPads are really popular, but I don't really get it.

I am on my MacBook Air typing this.

I prefer to leave my Mac at home when I travel and just take my iPad mini. I can watch Netflix/Youtube/Apple TV, read the news, check some e-mails, etc.

When on vacation, I just need to do a few things and don't need my Mac.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads