• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Apple Discussion Thread

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I was surprised the last Apple TV didn't have it. The device seems like a natural fit to be the your central home hub device.

Apple's very behind the game here.

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So the g/f needed to replace her old plastic macbook. Since she doesn't know **** from shinola about computers I copped a brand new older macbook air (no retina) with a teeny 128 gig ssd and she is on cloud 9. The most she will do on it is use word & powerpoint, facebook, pinterest and skype. At this very moment I'm upgrading it to Sierra. She was babbling something about a pretty pink case but I had stopped listening at that point

Last edited:

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So the g/f needed to replace her old plastic macbook.  Since she doesn't know **** from shinola about computers I copped a brand new older macbook air (no retina) with  a teeny 128 gig ssd and she is on cloud 9.  The most she will do on it is use word & powerpoint, facebook, pinterest and skype.  At this very moment I'm upgrading it to Sierra.  She was babbling something about a pretty pink case but I had stopped listening at that point

Would be curious about your take on the performance/battery life. I'm running Sierra on a 2014 MBP (can't wait for the new ones to launch) and it seems to be working pretty well and not punishing battery life. Craig and team have been pretty solid imo.

Last edited:

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would be curious about your take on the performance/battery life. I'm running Sierra on a 2014 MBP (can't wait for the new ones to launch) and it seems to be working pretty well and not punishing battery life. Craig and team have been pretty solid imo.

Got to get back to you on that in a week or 2

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
MacBook Pro won't boot. I don't know why I keep buying Macs. The hard drive was replaced under AppleCare last summer, and when I try to repair it with disk utility, it can't be repaired. Maybe it's just the connector. If the hard drive is dead, I'm just going to get an SSD. Dammit.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I got a 2009 MBA with a ssd and feel no need to upgrade yet as it suits my home use well.  No lagging issues yet.  Have you update the OS yet to Sierra?

Yep, I'm on Sierra. TBH it does seem to have slight lag compared to the prior OS (forget the name) and I don't really benefit from any of the additional features.

If you're on the prior OS, I'd recommend you stay on that one. That's what I'd do in retrospect.

Last edited:

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm with GF. I'm not seeing Sierra bringing anything to the table that I use, but it's just sorta there and hasn't ruined the experience. I don't use Siri on my phone and neither do I on my laptop.

IMO, Siri or the equivalents would have to be full on transparent - e.g. I walk into my house and just say full natural phrases like 'turn the temp to 70 degrees, play some Buddy Holly, and get water boiling for some tea' - the last part is where the cliche of the internet of things comes into play.

I don't think we're actually too far away from that - likely by the end of this decade, but that's when I fully buy in. Of course, these steps are necessary to get there.

Last edited:

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
there's a huge leap going from per-determined phrases to natural language processing, especially if you take into account the subtleties of pronunciation, never mind thicker accents. this is such a hurdle that there has been discussion of using a simplified and standardized language for interacting with inanimate objects.

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

there's a huge leap going from per-determined phrases to natural language processing, especially if you take into account the subtleties of pronunciation, never mind thicker accents. this is such a hurdle that there has been discussion of using a simplified and standardized language for interacting with inanimate objects.

Wired had a great article a few months back titled 'the end of code' which was about AI and such. Great read on this matter. It's about a host things and the progress being made in that area. I agree there is a hurdle (if there wasn't one, we would've walked past it). However, it's actually not that big of one given the tech we have.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ordered a Pixel.

If it sucks, I think I am giving up, ordering a 7 and drilling a headphone jack.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ocutene