• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Anderson & Sheppard Expatriates Thread

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think for tailors abroad, the stranger config is two buttons, which I've only known to be an Ivy Style thing. Of the three tailors I've used for two-button sport coats, all non-American, they had to measure the spacing between the buttons in order to get it right. This suggests to me that not many customers order such a thing.

Yeah, when I had B&Tailor do it, I had to talk them through it a bit, I basically have buttons where the first and third would go. I have a thread here somewhere on two buttons and placement, currently mobile so I cannot quickly dig it up.

jcmeyer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The look Edwin gave me when I asked about 2 buttons on a hopsack sport coat was ever so slightly less than withering.

I asked for two buttons on my second MTM sport coat, and Matthew even said he put that down, but it came back with three. Like the factory even rolled its eyes at me.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I asked for two buttons on my second MTM sport coat, and Matthew even said he put that down, but it came back with three. Like the factory even rolled its eyes at me.
5A3F0EC7-AF9A-4EF5-9B1C-15C98E4AD593.gif

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The first time I ordered one from them, the spacing was a bit too far apart for my liking, so I just had them fill the empty space with a third button. Mine was something like this

Second time around, they got it exactly right. I think the detail looks best when there's just a bit more space between the buttons so it looks intentional, but not so much space that it looks like your tailor forgot to put in the middle button.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I only have one sportcoat and I have two buttons on the cuff. Three is weird.

A guy on SF who owns a single SC is weird. But a guy on SF who owns just one SC, yet dictates the norms of SCs is peak SF.

Dude, get back to us on the best button configuration after your 11th SC...c'mon... ;-)

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A guy on SF who owns a single SC is weird. But a guy on SF who owns just one SC, yet dictates the norms of SCs is peak SF.

Dude, get back to us on the best button configuration after your 11th SC...c'mon... ;-)
To be fair I just inquired about it, but I stand by that I would never get a 3 cuff button anything. I don't think it looks good. I am sure other's agree.

I'm pretty sure its a black sport coat at that :)
Just like my heart. Vox requested to see it via Twitter:
57E877B1-0BFE-47F4-9876-BD4CFCD1B777.jpeg

We need to buy him a drink and find him a woman!

Why do you assume I don't already have one?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads