• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No - have not asked - i would have had I not recently got another brown shell boot.

Ah. I read too hastily and misunderstood your purchase. FTR, I have seen Normandy IRL and the toe is quite round. Think Wolverine.

fairlynerdy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah I am kind of digging the whole big classic round toe boot thing...these are pretty much what I go for now..not getting rid of my more pointy stuff but they are seeing less foot time these days
Nice collection! AE, Alden,???, Truman, Viberg?

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote: Spot on! the ??? is the Viberg 2030 last in natty cxl and the Viberg on the far right is the 2045 last...which is a great unique makeup it is actually shell cordovan with the horsehide still attached..I am thinking they could build tanks out of that leather.

fairlynerdy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Spot on! the ??? is the Viberg 2030 last in natty cxl and the Viberg on the far right is the 2045 last...which is a great unique makeup it is actually shell cordovan with the horsehide still attached..I am thinking they could build tanks out of that leather.

Wow, that must be some incredible leather. BTW, I believe CXL was originally formulated for use in gasket rings in tanks. So saying that you could build tanks out of another Horween product isn't actually that far off!

I don't have any Vibergs and don't know the 2030 last --- that's a nice looking last. Probably no good for my fat feet, but nice looking.

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
The 2030 is a generous last - I am an E Width and for Viberg I go down 1 full size from brannock. If you find a shop like Notreshop or a few others with a good return policy it is worth it especially as you can try 1/2 sizes something stockists do not get in my size. If you are a eee it could be tight.

ldibiasio

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Please forgive my ignorance but I have never done MTO before and I was looking for some clarification. Are you guys saying there is no extra charge for replacing the leather on any shoe with shell cordovan? So for example a calf PA is listed at $385.00 so you can get a shell PA for $385.00? Also, is this just through select brick and mortar stores? Thanks.

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hello everyone.  Please forgive my ignorance but I have never done MTO before and I was looking for some clarification.  Are you guys saying there is no extra charge for replacing the leather on any shoe with shell cordovan?  So for example a calf PA is listed at $385.00 so you can get a shell PA for $385.00?  Also, is this just through select brick and mortar stores?  Thanks.

No, you pay the cordovan price of 685 or whatever the cost is...normally you pay 150 extra for that service

gatszu

Reaction score
I checked with Allison, the Normandy is not eligible for cordovan

Last edited:

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Natty Dundees today. The leather is finally breaking in. Nice and oily, easy to shine. Not dry at all anymore.

xxxRacer

Reaction score
Went through four pairs of Normandy's. Two brown and two black. My orthotics kept tearing/cutting the leather. Nice boot but it just wouldn't work for me. AND the toes kept collapsing and creasing in unattractive ways.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads