• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Alden Buy, Sell, Trade (B/S/T) Thread

Alden Northwest

Reaction score
Do people actually size different based on upper material? That’s bizarre to me to be honest. They fit the same.

I do wear different sizes in the Van LHS depending on material. Typically a 9D in Barrie and TB, tried that in the LHS and it works in shell, but too small in suede. Had to go to a 9.5D in suede to make them work.

Comes down to how tight the material will fit on the last. I found 9D in suede is too small, unlined shell works but is tight, lined shell fits well.

teaegg

Reaction score
Shoes are weird. I have a pair of Crockett and Jones shoes and a pair of boots with the same last, same size, and same leather. Boots are a little loose in the morning but perfect from noon until the end of the day. Shoes are good in the morning but painfully tight after a few hours… Maybe my feet are weird.

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do wear different sizes in the Van LHS depending on material. Typically a 9D in Barrie and TB, tried that in the LHS and it works in shell, but too small in suede. Had to go to a 9.5D in suede to make them work.

Comes down to how tight the material will fit on the last. I found 9D in suede is too small, unlined shell works but is tight, lined shell fits well.
I guess I can kind of understand with loafers if wearing thin or no socks and want a really dialed in fit but then I wonder is your foot spreading out over the insole and pushing the sidewall material onto the welt? I’ve had unlined deck shoe moccasins that fit like a glove after breaking in but when I first tried to size down my pinky toe got crushed.

DJYello

Reaction score
I have 3 Van size 9 lined LHS in 3 different materials
Suede - softest
Calf - best fitting
Shell - most snug. Mostly around instep

andreasky

Reaction score
Hi, I do not own Alden shoes.
I saw these gorgeous chukka boots in black cordovan:

My size is 7 UK. Should I size up, down of keep the same?

Thank you

mwatts230

Reaction score
New, never worn whiskey PTB on Barrie size 8E. Commando soles. $1250
IMG_4385.jpeg

Last edited:

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ravello Shell 379X 8E plain toe boot, made in 2005 to celebrate the 30th anniversary of BEAMS in Japan. This may be one of the earliest, if not the first, Ravello boots ever made. New w/box. More pics upon request. Paid well over $2,000 to acquire these from Japan, offered here at $1,800. PM me if interested.

View attachment 2133147

Fresh pics. These are now on eBay, so get them at the new SF price of $1,700.

IMG_4250.jpeg
IMG_4251.jpeg
IMG_4252.jpeg
IMG_4253.jpeg
IMG_4254.jpeg
IMG_4255.jpeg
IMG_4256.jpeg
IMG_4257.jpeg
IMG_4258.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads