• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Alden Buy, Sell, Trade (B/S/T) Thread

jszair

Reaction score
This is assuming seller is the potential scammer right? How to prevent buyer scammer?
I think one potential solution is to establish a feedback system that highly rated users can be allowed to request f&f. Otherwise there's really no protection for them.

For new sellers sure, g&s is the way to go.

As the saying goes - buy the seller.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd like to say yes, but I wouldn't, because that'd just be doing the same thing w/o using the names (ie, still either requiring extra money for fees or inviting a F&F payment). The main problem from the forum's standpoint is that there are scammers who request F&F payment, then disappear. Shoes, and Aldens in particular, are probably the most frequently used items for scams. And strangely, 8.5 may be the most common size for that...
@LA Guy would know more about why requesting F&F is a bad idea. I think Paypal may have threatened the forum about it.

If someone's really your friend, then it's probably fine to discuss such things by pm. Otherwise, I wouldn't. Requesting F&F over pm is even more shady than doing it in the open. And people do report when that happens. We really don't want "Pm me." to become an option for scammers.

Great, thanks. As you know, we edited it out of several of your listings last night -- as we did from other people's listings too.
No problem, want to play by the rules as I'm simply an enthusiast selling some stuff to other enthusiasts. I happen to be a size 8.5D :)

emptym

Reaction score
This is assuming seller is the potential scammer right? How to prevent buyer scammer?
Good question. How would buyer scams work? They buy, then say something was wrong with the shoes, get their money back, and keep the shoes? I think buyer scams are really rare. Really scams in general are rare on the forum. But let's say that we've had 20 reports of seller scams over the past 10 years. I can't remember if we've had any buyer scams. Once or twice a seller has reported a buyer, but iirc, the seller was also partly to blame.
I think one potential solution is to establish a feedback system that highly rated users can be allowed to request f&f. Otherwise there's really no protection for them.

For new sellers sure, g&s is the way to go.

As the saying goes - buy the seller.
I don't think we could make F&F an option like that. Seems like the person would still not be a friend and thus there'd be some kind of fraud to Paypal. But @LA Guy would know more than I would.
No problem, want to play by the rules as I'm simply an enthusiast selling some stuff to other enthusiasts.
Thanks. You're a trustworthy seller whom I'd be tempted to give F&F if it wasn't against the rules.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Good question. How would buyer scams work? They buy, then say something was wrong with the shoes, get their money back, and keep the shoes? I think buyer scams are really rare. Really scams in general are rare on the forum. But let's say that we've had 20 reports of seller scams over the past 10 years. I can't remember if we've had any buyer scams. Once or twice a seller has reported a buyer, but iirc, the seller was also partly to blame.

I don't think we could make F&F an option like that. Seems like the person would still not be a friend and thus there'd be some kind of fraud to Paypal. But @LA Guy would know more than I would.

Thanks. You're a trustworthy seller whom I'd be tempted to give F&F if it wasn't against the rules.
I appreciate the comment, thank you. I suppose I'm naive, but the entire concept of scamming is foreign to me, why does it always seem a few mess things up for the majority?

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I appreciate the comment, thank you. I suppose I'm naive, but the entire concept of scamming is foreign to me, why does it always seem a few mess things up for the majority?

Human nature my man, one of the worst deals I did was for a 1500 dollar synth. He came picked it up and asked if he could pay through PayPal said sure why not. He showed me he was paying it money moved across. Boom, no big deal. Except a week later I see a negative amount in my PayPal, there was a case brought against me, he apparently used a stolen PayPal account and since I didn’t ship anything, I was at fault I guess.

Luckily my bank backed me up and I got my money at the end after all. However it was wild. He literally seemed perfectly nice and normal when we met and everything. Scammers are always around, so best to be careful.

Mr.Chest

Reaction score
Yeah scamming always happens and ruins things for people who follow the golden rule. Just as a point I’ve bought....idk 6 pairs of shoes from audog and can verify he’s as solid as they come.

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I recently purchased a pair through the classifieds, and it worked out well.

Last edited:

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah scamming always happens and ruins things for people who follow the golden rule. Just as a point I’ve bought....idk 6 pairs of shoes from audog and can verify he’s as solid as they come.
Thank you sir. If I sell something, I like the person who bought it to have the best possible experience I can give them. That's part of the fun of "new shoes"

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Human nature my man, one of the worst deals I did was for a 1500 dollar synth. He came picked it up and asked if he could pay through PayPal said sure why not. He showed me he was paying it money moved across. Boom, no big deal. Except a week later I see a negative amount in my PayPal, there was a case brought against me, he apparently used a stolen PayPal account and since I didn’t ship anything, I was at fault I guess.

Luckily my bank backed me up and I got my money at the end after all. However it was wild. He literally seemed perfectly nice and normal when we met and everything. Scammers are always around, so best to be careful.
I am sorry that you had to go through this, glad it worked out ok in the end. I will say, I have bought and sold a number of Aldens here, and have never had a bad experience with anyone who frequents this thread, but I don't do a popular online auction site as I HAVE been burned there (not shoes, other goods).

schweezly

Reaction score
Considering letting these Ranger Moc’s go. 9.5D on the Van last. Near new, worn 2-3 times.

Asking $325 shipped

specs from Brogue:https://www.brogueshop.com/collections/alden-last-call/products/alden-x-brogue-ranger-mocc-blucher

View attachment 1480716 View attachment 1480717

still available. Better pics now

ADBBCDC8-B34B-446B-8606-57BBB07023EA.jpeg
76D5FDD4-8DCE-4AE4-B201-C0B569DA15E5.jpeg
B8799AF7-E4AE-428F-B381-3B9C85A09472.jpeg

Last edited:

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We're only talking a few bucks fees for a typical transaction. And, as the rules are no f&f, what is the BFD? I've bought and sold a fair number of things here and haven't had a prob. Couple times a buyer wasn't happy so we refunded and someone else bought it. But that's been rare.

kelpqq

Reaction score
Another word of caution is ship to CONFIRMED address if one wants seller protection. Once sold item via PayPal G&S, buyer happens to be not at his regular address, package was stolen off his porch. No insurance from postal office and pp just reverse the funds to buyer. Double check the PayPal email.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads