• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not that hard to rotate your phone into landscape orientation. This is the way you should always take video. Tiktok be damned.

They could be forgiven though if the platform they were streaming on forced it on them. Apparently I'm not trendy, but at least I can still be proper. :bigstar:

In 2018, I stood atop Haleakala and started to FB Live the sunrise. I turned my phone to landscape mode, and FB live stopped and gave me a message that it couldn't operate in landscape.

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the compliment, but no, I’m really just a hobbyist (that intends to try to become more than that). I took a class and they really do give great guidance while “letting you do most of the work.”

I’m embarrassed, but I don’t remember the exact leather type. There were about 5 or 6 choices. It’s probably lower to mid-grade.

View attachment 2036749

Some others from the same class.

I’m happy to answer questions here or via IM.

What an awesome way to learn about making shoes. You actually answered everything already, your creation being a part of a workshop. I imagine coming up with materials, patterns, tools, and lasts is intensive and expensive.

Well you picked the best looking leather out of the lot. Props for going green.

I am a member in the Stitchdown.com community, where they have a cordwaining channel on their Discord server. The stuff that gets posted there is astonishing and I'm sure one could learn a lot by reading those posts and asking questions.

I picked up a pair of RedWing Beckmans from the Stitchdown community marketplace which were handwelted and relasted by a hobbyist who sold them to me for the cost of his materials... One of my favorite pair of boots now. There are so many talented hobbyists and craftsmen out there working with leather goods and footwear. I dabble in very basic leatherworking myself and immensely enjoy the feeling of working with my hands, and yes, the smell of the materials!

That reminds me, the Stitchdown Patina Thunderdome challenge is starting again the first of October. This will be my second year participating, and my second time participating with shell Allen Edmonds boots! It's a 6-month wear challenge with monthly check-ins. I encourage anyone else looking for a reason to break in some new footwear to participate as well, not only for the outrageous prizes on offer, but for the overall experience. The registration info can be found on Stitchdown.com. (This is an unpaid promotion.)

Last edited:

MajorDash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not that hard to rotate your phone into landscape orientation. This is the way you should always take video. Tiktok be damned.

They could be forgiven though if the platform they were streaming on forced it on them. Apparently I'm not trendy, but at least I can still be proper. :bigstar:

Yeah, but when I rotate my phone orientation on Instagram, I am just viewing a video sideways instead of in landscape mode.

I hate to say it, but vertical content is going to be the standard for short form media.

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but when I rotate my phone orientation on Instagram, I am just viewing a video sideways instead of in landscape mode.

I hate to say it, but vertical content is going to be the standard for short form media.

I can't disagree with that. The video is 30+ minutes long though. Viewing it on a normal computer monitor or TV is a little frustrating. If it was a livestream primarily for mobile devices, as mentioned earlier, then no big deal. It's a relatively minor quibble but one I think that deserved to be pointed out.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Rum this morning for a walk to McDonald’s for decaf.
IMG_7628.jpeg

You know that you are in small town America when you see this on the pre school bus.
IMG_7629.jpeg

Bavo

Reaction score
TS22 marbled chili strands

3A9875E5-E2B6-459E-9429-028D4D7FCCB9.jpeg

Sadly I think I am sitting this one out. I can’t find a style/color combo I love. But I do plan to get some belts. Would the AE brown shell color be a decent match for Alden Ravello? I am assuming it would match Cigar fairly well.

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 2037049

Sadly I think I am sitting this one out. I can’t find a style/color combo I love. But I do plan to get some belts. Would the AE brown shell color be a decent match for Alden Ravello? I am assuming it would match Cigar fairly well.
AE's chili might be closer to ravello. Just a thought.
Yeah, it's only about $500 for an entry level 4K camera these days. I also don't like the tall phone video thing as it wastes as much space as a MacNeil does with leather.

That video was shot to be streamed on Facebook and Instagram. I don't even think you can do a horizontal video on Instagram, at least not without it being shrunk down to still fit the vertical format.

Sure they could spend the $500 for a camera they would use once or twice a year, or they could just shoot it on someone's iPhone.

None of you guys watch enough p@rn! Yeah! I said it.
30 minute video should be landscape period lol. If you want it for live purposes have 2 people take a video. Next thing you know we are going to have 80" TVs in portrait mode. @Shoenut you gotta get better Appreciation lol.

Hisheirness23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 2037049

Ravello is lighter than AE Brown Shell. Cigar would be a closer equivalent for AE Brown.

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 2037049

The “newish” Ravello? Or the older caramel?

rgweiser53

Reaction score
@manowar I was a bit bothered by the vertical video, too.

My other small point of contention with the denim is that the edges are unfinished (specifically points to the pinking on the Strand—that is, it will “match” with the light welt). Not for me.
I was thinking Denim Strand until I saw the video. Uninspired and not worth the upcharge IMO

Hisheirness23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It looks amazing.. I’m doing the pa boot in denim
I saw the PA Boot on Navy at the store and agree Denim PA Boot should turn out to be a classic! The PA Boot could be a regret I have in the future with not participating in the TS to snag a pair. I think UV and Chili PA Boots will also be classics we see brought up for years to come!

Bavo

Reaction score
The “newish” Ravello? Or the older caramel?
The newish Ravello. I don't currently own any, but I have 2 pairs on order and have seen recently in person at the DC store. It was a significantly darker shade than some of what I've seen online, although lighter than Cigar. It's made me wonder if AE Brown could be a potential match. I have 1 Cigar pair and another theoretically on order (with no planned date, ha) so will probably get a belt as well as a Burgundy to replace an aging Brooks Brothers model.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads