• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@donkeyhoatie @Shoenut definitely interested in the tequila convo. Having been mostly a bourbon guy my entire life, I much to learn. For sipping, I typically gravitate towards anejo or XA. My last few (finished) bottles have been Reserva de la Familia. Yes it's overpriced, and it's a Cuervo brand, but it reminds me of my dad. Plus I enjoy the artwork on the boxes.

Natty HMs today so I can save the snuff pair for the rain coming later in the week.
CB0DFA12-B88D-4263-B68E-A4836C4D2E92.jpeg

6E521F2E-2028-442A-888A-4784D1311964.jpeg

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What does the Donkey consider good sipping Tequilas? I like Casa Noble when women are around. Adictivo double añejo, siete lagunas responsando. In Mexico I still buy the stuff in a plastic jug.

Donkey would not know what makes any tequila a good sipping one, because most nights Donkey is too unrefined to care which tequila goes down his gullet. Someone brought Adictivo, but I think it was just the Anejo version. Might have been double, though. Whatever it was, it was gone pretty early and then they started working through the lesser tequilas on hand at the host's house. At that point, it was like taking candy from babies.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@donkeyhoatie @Shoenut definitely interested in the tequila convo. Having been mostly a bourbon guy my entire life, I much to learn. For sipping, I typically gravitate towards anejo or XA. My last few (finished) bottles have been Reserva de la Familia. Yes it's overpriced, and it's a Cuervo brand, but it reminds me of my dad. Plus I enjoy the artwork on the boxes.

Natty HMs today so I can save the snuff pair for the rain coming later in the week.
View attachment 1932085
View attachment 1932087
You should try Clase Azul Reposado. Just a hint of vanilla and caramel and then the full agave flavor takes you home.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Donkey would not know what makes any tequila a good sipping one, because most nights Donkey is too unrefined to care which tequila goes down his gullet. Someone brought Adictivo, but I think it was just the Anejo version. Might have been double, though. Whatever it was, it was gone pretty early and then they started working through the lesser tequilas on hand at the host's house. At that point, it was like taking candy from babies.
I love the bottle of Adictivo. Especially the shot in the cap.

CommanderMcBragg

Reaction score
I have been thinking about this issue for a while now and looking at the shoe, I would recommend the same thing that my wife has recommended for me. A good psychologist. Unless you zoom in, not noticeable at all. I bet if just hit it with a cleaner/conditioner one more time and put it away, the whole thing will look better the next time they see the light of day.
AD077DBC-352A-402B-B871-7D03134CF6EA.png

If anyone has a go-to white polish/crème that works, please do let me know. Thank you!

sam67

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone give me the year the Orlean buck in white was on the 1 last (5221)? thanks.

took me a while- around 2004, at least in tan but 1 last. Many of the catalogs can't be accessed at the moment

Last edited:

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Can anyone give me the year the Orlean buck in white was on the 1 last (5221)? thanks.

took me a while- around 2004, at least in tan but 1 last. Many of the catalogs can't be accessed at the moment

They are in the 2002 catalog, but not the 2000. The two 2001 catalogs I checked did not have them listed. So right in there.
Screenshot 2023-04-03 at 3.53.42 PM.png

And since you are asking about red Vibram soles, I will show this pair of saddle spectators I wore today.

IMG_2698.jpg

Last edited:

stuffedsuperdud

Reaction score
View attachment 1932139

If anyone has a go-to white polish/crème that works, please do let me know. Thank you!

Lol I like how you won't let this one go. It's interesting that you bring this up, as today I'm wearing the Broadstreets I got through one of Paul Grangaard's webgem thingies several years back. They developed a similar marking, on their own AFAIK.

On the right:

20230403_144640.jpg

It doesn't bother me because these are shoes. The skin of a dead cow which wraps around my feet and which makes contact with the ground. Life is too short to dedicate any brain cells or anxiety to desperately scrubbing at my shoes with white polish. This stuff is supposed to be fun; if it's bothering the stuffing out of you, as you put it, then that certainly goes a long way towards sucking the joy out of things...

The real secret I've found is actually to just not have that much stuff, and to wear what you do have hard. That way everything develops an even lived-in shabbiness to it over time, which I think we all agree imparts a certain character that you cannot just buy.

CommanderMcBragg

Reaction score
Lol I like how you won't let this one go. It's interesting that you bring this up, as today I'm wearing the Broadstreets I got through one of Paul Grangaard's webgem thingies several years back. They developed a similar marking, on their own AFAIK.

On the right:

View attachment 1932341

It doesn't bother me because these are shoes. The skin of a dead cow which wraps around my feet and which makes contact with the ground. Life is too short to dedicate any brain cells or anxiety to desperately scrubbing at my shoes with white polish. This stuff is supposed to be fun; if it's bothering the stuffing out of you, as you put it, then that certainly goes a long way towards sucking the joy out of things...

The real secret I've found is actually to just not have that much stuff, and to wear what you do have hard. That way everything develops an even lived-in shabbiness to it over time, which I think we all agree imparts a certain character that you cannot just buy.

My brain is sprained.

We all spend too much time on our iPhones™ without stopping to smell the flowers; poignant commentary, yes, though here we are debating the 97 different shades of brown available on the Strand or which boot will be offered in non-corrected-grain Malted Cognac at the next Trunk Show in December...but yet I come on here humbly asking, "Hey, I scraped my white shoe--what's the best polish?" and it turns into the Commander McBragg Sanctimonious Pile-On Hour...?

Harrumph.

I almost feel like the protagonist in that Jim Carrey movie "Truman Toy Story," where all those around him are in on the joke, and he's gaslighted at every turn (I never saw the movie: I'm just aware of the basic premise). There is simply no other explanation as to what's at play here.

Double Harrumph.

I'm the common streetboy on here with my modest dozen pairs of AE--mostly purchased used through DaBondo1--but yet I'm ostracized as a neurotic, twitching bundle of nerves for simply asking how to cover up a scrape on my white shoes...?

We need to do better, men.

IMG_2722.PNG

Thank you.

(PS: I'm joking.)

(I think.)

stuffedsuperdud

Reaction score
My brain is sprained.

We all spend too much time on our iPhones™ without stopping to smell the flowers; poignant commentary, yes, though here we are debating the 97 different shades of brown available on the Strand or which boot will be offered in non-corrected-grain Malted Cognac at the next Trunk Show in December...but yet I come on here humbly asking, "Hey, I scraped my white shoe--what's the best polish?" and it turns into the Commander McBragg Sanctimonious Pile-On Hour...?

Harrumph.

I almost feel like the protagonist in that Jim Carrey movie "Truman Toy Story," where all those around him are in on the joke, and he's gaslighted at every turn (I never saw the movie: I'm just aware of the basic premise). There is simply no other explanation as to what's at play here.

Double Harrumph.

I'm the common streetboy on here with my modest dozen pairs of AE--mostly purchased used through DaBondo1--but yet I'm ostracized as a neurotic, twitching bundle of nerves for simply asking how to cover up a scrape on my white shoes...?

View attachment 1932411

Thank you.

(I think.)

Well, for what it's worth, I think all those threads you mention are silly nonsense too (and sometimes downright obnoxious because of how they test the whole "Customer is always right" trash). I only replied to you specifically because my shoes today are in the exact same boat. But I maintain that this stuff in general is not meant to be babied or overanalyzed; they should be beaten to kingdom come in the course of living an exciting life.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My brain is sprained.

Harrumph.

Double Harrumph.

View attachment 1932411

Thank you.

(I think.)
I just about went pipí in my pants. Happy now?

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have been thinking about this issue for a while now and looking at the shoe, I would recommend the same thing that my wife has recommended for me. A good psychologist. Unless you zoom in, not noticeable at all. I bet if just hit it with a cleaner/conditioner one more time and put it away, the whole thing will look better the next time they see the light of day.

My brain is sprained.

Harrumph.

Double Harrumph.

View attachment 1932411

Thank you.

(I think.)

Well, for what it's worth, I think all those threads you mention are silly nonsense too (and sometimes downright obnoxious because of how they test the whole "Customer is always right" trash). I only replied to you specifically because my shoes today are in the exact same boat. But I maintain that this stuff in general is not meant to be babied or overanalyzed; they should be beaten to kingdom come in the course of living an exciting life.
I believe that I started this mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads