• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, they were. These days, kind of a hybrid of dress and casual, wouldn't you say?

The idea behind even their dress sneakers is they're still dress. They have moved into the semi-work boot realm.

They do have defined casual shoes, but is that their brand?

Cause if I'm thinking sneakers, I think converse, Nike, new balance, Adidas, keds, etc. I don't think Allen Edmonds. They do seemingly want to compete with Redwing, Alden, Doc Marten, Thursday, etc, in the boot market, though. But that's also pretty wide, as I'd say they're half I'm, half out given their dress boots still being more of a focus.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How about some loden suede?

9BB7506C-020C-40BB-BB23-E56835300C01.jpeg

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The idea behind even their dress sneakers is they're still dress. They have moved into the semi-work boot realm.

They do have defined casual shoes, but is that their brand?

Cause if I'm thinking sneakers, I think converse, Nike, new balance, Adidas, keds, etc. I don't think Allen Edmonds. They do seemingly want to compete with Redwing, Alden, Doc Marten, Thursday, etc, in the boot market, though. But that's also pretty wide, as I'd say they're half I'm, half out given their dress boots still being more of a focus.
Do you think that Redwing competes with Redwing of old these days? Last time I was in one, there was only crap in stock, anything decent was order only. I like the fancy sizing machine that mis sized me as well as any AE master fitter has. 9D! Cause that is my size? No cause it is the closest thing to my proper size.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you think that Redwing competes with Redwing of old these days? Last time I was in one, there was only crap in stock, anything decent was order only. I like the fancy sizing machine that mis sized me as well as any AE master fitter has. 9D! Cause that is my size? No cause it is the closest thing to my proper size.

I don't know. The only Redwing in town closed down and I never went to one when I was back in NY.

I think Redwing still has a very popular boot style, though. You see people really like their moc toe. This is at least part of the reason we have the AE takes on it.

I'd say that in terms of casualish boots, AE is definitely beginning to be properly in competition with the other makers on the market that go after that look. Though I still think they are mostly half-in, half-out because of their focus on dress boots, that you don't see Thursday or Redwing attempt. In that sense, they are kind of trying to be Alden, too.

Plus, of course, AE is not usually making legitimate, actual workboots, like Wolverine. Though it is telling they worked with Wolverine on the AE 1000 Mile and the like, which is admittedly, a nice looking, old fashioned work boot - kind of like the Higgins Mill but more legit. They could go down that route.

My question is just this: If you are going to go down the kind of weird, bohemian shoe route, I don't know if they really have anyone looking for what AE provides. Why even focus on like relatively inexpensive footwear in that market? Make it a decidedly fashion shoe and charge much more, to appeal to the "I like art, but I also have a trustfund" crowd of wannabe bohemians.

MajorDash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My question regarding the Denim Strand issue is this question:

Who is AE trying to appeal to with this kind of piece?

Because it strikes me that AE really doesn't have a sufficient marketing department to have gotten credibility with the younger crowd as an option for dress shoes. Simply put, I have never seen an Allen Edmonds ad ever in print, and the only reason I see Allen Edmond ads at all is probably because the algorithms for the ads already know I buy Allen Edmonds shoes.

Also, they are a dress shoe company. Why are you trying to introduce your shoes to the bohemian, artsy crowd? Do you think they are really the type of person who is going to fall in love with your dress shoe options? Or do you think the future is in bohemian shoes and people want casual crazy stuff now and nothing formal?

I don't know, it seems like there's no market here.

Like who exactly is going to think "cool, Allen Edmonds will let me live my wild bohemian lifestyle with denim brogues?"

If they are going to go do that, why are they even keeping it an affordable price point? Why not go the way of Yeezy and sell crazy shoes for 1000+ dollars to Instagram influencers and celebs and the like?

Umm... They're only making 22 pairs and they're $1295 each. They aren't really for wearing. They're just art pieces.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My question regarding the Denim Strand issue is this question:

Who is AE trying to appeal to with this kind of piece?

Because it strikes me that AE really doesn't have a sufficient marketing department to have gotten credibility with the younger crowd as an option for dress shoes. Simply put, I have never seen an Allen Edmonds ad ever in print, and the only reason I see Allen Edmond ads at all is probably because the algorithms for the ads already know I buy Allen Edmonds shoes.

Also, they are a dress shoe company. Why are you trying to introduce your shoes to the bohemian, artsy crowd? Do you think they are really the type of person who is going to fall in love with your dress shoe options? Or do you think the future is in bohemian shoes and people want casual crazy stuff now and nothing formal?

I don't know, it seems like there's no market here.

Like who exactly is going to think "cool, Allen Edmonds will let me live my wild bohemian lifestyle with denim brogues?"

If they are going to go do that, why are they even keeping it an affordable price point? Why not go the way of Yeezy and sell crazy shoes for 1000+ dollars to Instagram influencers and celebs and the like?
I don’t understand how AE benefits from this Collaboration. Is it just brand exposure to the customers of this brand? I understand the Barbour Collaboration. That boot fit the country dress esthetic of the Barbour brand. Did that boot get sold on the Barbour website? Hmmm. I think a good Collaboration would be with Indochino. At least they sell suits. They have a brick and motor in Oakbrook and from what I saw, a funky Strand would work there.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t understand how AE benefits from this Collaboration. Is it just brand exposure to the customers of this brand? I understand the Barbour Collaboration. That boot fit the country dress esthetic of the Barbour brand. Did that boot get sold on the Barbour website? Hmmm. I think a good Collaboration would be with Indochino. At least they sell suits. They have a brick and motor in Oakbrook and from what I saw, a funky Strand would work there.

Indochino also has a store in Cobble Hill, Brooklyn. I don't think too funky of a strand would work there, as their style, while slim cut and modern, is still decidedly within the realm of traditional suits. Denim would look dumb a f with an indochino suit. In contrast, if AE wanted to go for a more sleek Italianiate style dress shoe, then I think they could do something there.

Also, as you point out, the Barbour collab makes sense. What you have there is a Higgins Mill that looks like something that would totally go with Barbour clothes. I could see the same kind of collaboration work with say, a Lands End or something.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Umm... They're only making 22 pairs and they're $1295 each. They aren't really for wearing. They're just art pieces.

I missed the 1200 dollar price tag. If that is the price tag, then they are doing the right thing with something like this. Appeal to the weird fashion crowd, though I honestly don't know what the hell that is supposed to do for anything beyond that.

Maybe they want to permanently establish a collection for fashion shoe people. AE for the type of people who think Berluti and Yeezy and such is cool.

VeritasAequitas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do any of you ride a motorcycle? I’m looking for some recommendations for riding boots.

P.S. I can’t figure out how to insert a spoiler from my phone after the update. Sorry.

MajorDash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PSA: Nordstrom has a couple of natural Freeports for $261. Pretty good deal.

Has anyone figured out if the logo on the tongue can be cleanly removed?

That really depends on how much work you want to put in. You’d have to unstitch and restitch the tongue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads