• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few thoughts that I am sure nobody was dying to hear this morning:

I totally understand while many of you dislike the Freeport tag. That said, call me lazy but unstitching and restitching is way too much work to remove something that is hidden when wearing.

Edit: Here's what my tag looks like after 3 or so wears. Branding is hardly noticeable. Seems similar to the darker leather used on other models for a (decorative) pull tab.
BAF4CED7-8365-4DD4-A5D0-C9FA57F7AD58.jpeg

Aside from the absolute extreme silliness (IMO) of the "art meets craft" Strands collaboration, the Dahlia black denim Strand actually has potential. Or rather I should say had lots of potential. The execution just seems, well, short sighted. AE has been somewhat interchanging the Strand and Strandmok in recent years. Denim is clearly more casual, even despite the black color, so why not include the split welt here? AE has been throwing chunky soles on everything from Parks to sandals. Would a shoe leaning more edgy and streetwear not warrant this? Regardless of where you land on the chunk scale, certainly over a Park, no? Black dainite? Lastly, was this really the model that needed a single sole for a "sleek, low profile" look? Double sole, with split welt might have done wonders.
Screenshot 2023-02-09 at 9.06.45 AM.png

Lastly, I used AE's chat feature multiple times, as well as emailing CS to determine lace width for the Freeport and the Chandler. Each time I got a different answer. The largest width I was told was 6mm. They were certain and had "even just pulled a pair out to measure themselves to double check." Well, my order from Laccio arrived and clearly the new 6mm laces are not the same size. Hopefully they look good in natty Freeports... once I brush away all this bloom.
1D4BED76-3A9A-4F93-B2C1-C5514D7D32B3.jpeg

Last edited:

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like these 6mm laces fit better than whatever comes stock. (Thanks for that mistake AE!)

Now my fellow weasels, what are your thoughts on this lace color? Is it too close of a match to the shell?
075636E0-9788-4A56-A20C-545CDA689D1E.jpeg

71BF0AF7-DA82-4CE2-A2CC-0181A0F50A02.jpeg

Conversely, do either of these provide a better contrast? Had also hoped to pull from/play off the welt more.
59196579-D06B-4B50-A6C2-3AD0F7511255.jpeg
5AB74B91-EC49-4884-9316-4B22A1D07273.jpeg

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Looks like these 6mm laces fit better than whatever comes stock. (Thanks for that mistake AE!)

Now my fellow weasels, what are your thoughts on this lace color? Is it too close of a match to the shell?
View attachment 1892559
View attachment 1892561

Conversely, do either of these provide a better contrast? Had also hoped to pull from/play off the welt more.
I like it better than the spoilered ones.

Harwid

Reaction score
I purchased 4 pair of Allen Edmonds boots in the last year. In 4 different sizes! Thanks to guidance from an excellent SA all 4 fit well. One pair was actually NOS from eBay that I purchased based on outsole measurements.

I measure 11 1/2 or 12; B/C

Jeff

12 D: Walnut Liverpools. Perfect as Liverpools are a narrower fit due to no laces. Also narrow toe box so 12 is good.
AFC0A193-0D63-438C-9A8A-9ECA1B8ABCFD.jpeg

12 B: Chili Williamsburg Chukka: B works as hard to cinch them tight. 12 works as narrow toe box.
AEF016A4-4CFC-4751-B6AD-6E3FEEEA1A3F.jpeg

11 1/2 D: Brown Freeport.
AD76512A-81CB-4EBB-AE1F-01C23F76D166.jpeg

11 1/2 B: Chili/Brown Landons.
D609FE90-FB74-40CB-B375-BE9A341D05CB.jpeg

Cause Moe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1892559
View attachment 1892561

The second and third provide more contrast, but I think the first one just looks better.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1892559
View attachment 1892561

You're lucky your size is larger. The 6 mm laces look great, but they don't really fit that well with my size 8. I think they work better for larger sizes. 4.5 that GG has is the best size for me, but 4 mm from Laccico is my best option for colors.

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1892559
View attachment 1892561

I think it depends on what you're planning to wear with them. My favorite is the 3rd version with the yellow-ish Red Wing style laces. Then again, that's pretty much what I have in my dark brown suede pair that I'm wearing today. I think those laces bring it more into the work boot spectrum, which is appropriate given that these are essentially an homage to the Alden Indy, which is definitely a work boot, and used for real carpentry work by Harrison Ford before they became screen famous.

Denim/khaki/chinos? I like the yellow work boot laces.

Cords? I like flat laces, but maybe a little more contrast between the boot and laces.

Trousers? I think a thinner, round lace works best.

Full-on spandex body suit? I'd probably go rawhide laces in that instance.

VeritasAequitas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Of all all the boots on sale right now, which would do the best as beater/work boots? I really like the weatherproof Park City but I'm not sure. What do you guys think?

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Of all all the boots on sale right now, which would do the best as beater/work boots? I really like the weatherproof Park City but I'm not sure. What do you guys think?
I have 2 Park City boots. They are all "weatherproof." I absolutely love this boot. The sole is extremely comfortable and adds good height. The boot is an easy fit for me and great for casual wear.

VeritasAequitas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have 2 Park City boots. They are all "weatherproof." I absolutely love this boot. The sole is extremely comfortable and adds good height. The boot is an easy fit for me and great for casual wear.
Would they hold up working outside?

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Deep thoughts for today on natural cxl. I see AE is making more and more of their newer natural with the lighter shades I love. Someone posted this shot 2 months ago on the AE site. Having the current sale on F2s, I am a little tempted to try one at $260. That's about as low of a price I'm going to get these days with the inflation. But I am scared to buy 2nds now because I no longer have the Charleston store and not sure if I get charged $25 if the color is the dark natural. The red sole looks really cool with the lighter natural. I wore my non-AE boots natural today to Monterey Park Costco (aka Hell).

And I know @audog is going to say I'm ridiculous because natural cxl gets darker. But it at least stays light for several years.

e76b7c8d-ee04-5d57-a336-72988fad65b9

IMG_20230209_115613615.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads