• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tennis Players??

jaac

Reaction score
How often do you guys break strings? I'm on my 4th set in as many weeks, thankfully im good friends with my coach/shop owner and get them cheap but its fairly annoying, tried 4 different types aswell.

M.D.

Reaction score
I used to play a lot and broke my strings +/- every 3 sets. I played with a really strange extreme grip causing my ball to have a massive amount of spin; downside was that i didn't hit it very hard and as mentionned before i broke my strings quite often. I bought a big roll of strings, a friend had a stringing machine (?) and i put them on myself so in the end it wasn't all that expensive.

unrated

Reaction score
For me in depends who I play with. I've broken many strings playing with an ex NAIA player. My regular hitting partner, I break less because he doesn't hit with extreme top.

hws

Reaction score
I use most thin natural gut, so break sometimes. But is so nice, I think I never change!

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jaac
How often do you guys break strings? I'm on my 4th set in as many weeks, thankfully im good friends with my coach/shop owner and get them cheap but its fairly annoying, tried 4 different types aswell.

I play with A LOT of topspin and break every so often, but not enough to be a hassle. I play a thick gauge of (16) Luxilon Big Banger Power and am very happy.

unrated

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rjmaiorano
I play with A LOT of topspin and break every so often, but not enough to be a hassle. I play a thick gauge of (16) Luxilon Big Banger Power and am very happy.
I would love to buy a reel of BB ALU power but the price of the reel isn't justified for me. I would rather shell out 70 dollars on a reel of Topspin Cyberflash than 250 for BB ALU. However, I will say BB ALU power is the best string I have ever used.

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No problem with breaking strings...benefits of owning a stringer

hws

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jkidd41011
No problem with breaking strings...benefits of owning a stringer
Yes this is nice to have, machine with electric constant pull type of tensioning system.

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hws
Yes this is nice to have, machine with electric constant pull type of tensioning system.
I have an old Prince P-200, uses the compressor instead of electric. Still works great.

hws

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jkidd41011
I have an old Prince P-200, uses the compressor instead of electric. Still works great.
This is interesting, I never know before of this type of system. How does this operate?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads