• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Telling people prices of your shoes

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Concordia
If a woman gives you crap about going to an expensive tailor, just say "well, I wouldn't have to if I looked the way you do naked."
One to remember!

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can always tell them it's all about the SF mantra "it's not how much I spent - it's how much I saved!"
laugh.gif

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wootx
1) that's none of their businness 2) you shouldn't feel guilty for blowing your money on clothing 3) you spend money on shoes; they spend money on whatever else 4) that's none of their businness 5) that's none of their businness 6) that's none of their businness 7) they ******** off anyway
+1 Best answers so far. IMO this applies to anything, not just shoes.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'll say with a smirk, "I'm not tellin'". They get the idea if they are not a complete moron - they are already morons for asking.

olualbert

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sinnedk
So i am curious as to what people say here when posed with a question of how much your shoes cost. Often times I have co-workers/friends compliment me on my shoes and then the follow up question of how much they cost. I like to save face and avoid answering the question due to the fact that I may pay a lot more than an average person for a good shoe.

Today i had a co-worker complement me on a nice pair of boots, and he had asked how much they cost, i told him the price (price being >200) and that i got them at a discount. He replied that he has never paid more than $150 for a pair of shoes, basically thought i was weird. So the question is should i feel weird about telling him? Am I out of place or does he just buy crappy shoes? Do people on SF reveal prices, how should one go about this
BTW i did reply that i'd rather spend more on a shoe knowing that it will look good and last longer.
Opinions???

The only way Im gonna reveal that sort of info is if you are in my click..otherwise buzzz off...I also feel that it is classless to reveal the price you pay for clothing items unless he/she is very close to you.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
I do.
devil.gif

you also pick up parcels at your local post office.
worship.gif

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
you also pick up parcels at your local post office.
worship.gif

Indeed I do. And on this Easter Sunday, I'll be wearing one of the pairs picked up! They remain, as always, beautiful.

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PipersSon

My observation is that - unlike many if not most other societies - Americans are born believing and taught all the way that they are the equal of anyone else. That no one is really better than them, no matter what.

one of the biggest problems with our way of thinking here. Although, in some level its a good thing to teach, on another level it has been damaging to the way we perceive others as well.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
Indeed I do. And on this Easter Sunday, I'll be wearing one of the pairs picked up! They remain, as always, beautiful.

that's wonderful, wear them in good health.

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by philipp
When somebody asks me, what xyz cost, I usually tell them straightforward and never had any "problems" with that.

This "not saying, what they cost" seems to a mentality-thing. Here in Germany being direct is usually not considered to be rude, when you were asked a question.

i like this about the germans. and im perplexed why people would go through the troubles of lying to skirt around the issues of price.

it seems, to me, more pompous to snap back with "oh, its english/italian/from an old man in budapest; ive forgotten the exchange rate", than to dignify their curiosity with a real answer.

whether the other party judges you better or worse for your spending is on them. you DID choose to dress this way, did you not?

even with the american oversensitivity in thought, people are asking about how much an object cost, not how much income you yourself make - 2 different things. afterall, youre not flaunting about the thing, just answering interested parties... why be so insecure about it

cimabue

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Trompe le Monde
i like this about the germans. and im perplexed why people would go through the troubles of lying to skirt around the issues of price.

it seems, to me, more pompous to snap back with "oh, its english/italian/from an old man in budapest; ive forgotten the exchange rate", than to dignify their curiosity with a real answer.

whether the other party judges you better or worse for your spending is on them. you DID choose to dress this way, did you not?

even with the american oversensitivity in thought, people are asking about how much an object cost, not how much income you yourself make - 2 different things. afterall, youre not flaunting about the thing, just answering interested parties... why be so insecure about it

You sound naive. People will make all kinds of inferences based on what they think you spend on clothing and shoes and they will treat you differently as a result. Some may like that kind of attention, some (most?) think no good can come from it. Like aggression, for instance, sales-wise or worse.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
An old friend of mine inquired about a pair of my AE. I told him a little over $200. He replied "that's a ton of money to spend on a pair of shoes". I tried explaining to him that they were on the lower end of the shoe price spectrum when it comes to quality dress shoes, but it was a waste of time. This is the same guy that will approach plain rudeness by asking how much everything you have costs. It's not even a genuine curiosity as to how much a quality item like that might set you back, it's just a general fascination with people spending money that he seems to be fixated upon. Think of the most impolite way someone could ask you how much you paid for an item, that's him.

RyJ Maduro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear Allen Edmonds, but tell people that they're from John Lobb, and that they're very expensive.

I find this approach works best, especially if the person I'm conversing with hadn't even asked about my shoes.

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by philipp
When somebody asks me, what xyz cost, I usually tell them straightforward and never had any "problems" with that.

This "not saying, what they cost" seems to a mentality-thing. Here in Germany being direct is usually not considered to be rude, when you were asked a question.

Originally Posted by cimabue
You sound naive. People will make all kinds of inferences based on what they think you spend on clothing and shoes and they will treat you differently as a result. Some may like that kind of attention, some (most?) think no good can come from it. Like aggression, for instance, sales-wise or worse.

theres a few layers to this:
1. if a someone compliments you a shoe/wristwatch/widget, and ask for the price, is it more likely out of genuine interest in getting one for themselves, or to place judgement on you ?
2. it takes no more than 3 seconds on a smartphone to find retail on an audi a6 or a tag heuer carrera, your being coy about it only invites more curiosity.

but moreover, the biggest point being this: when you dress yourself in the morning, youre making a conscious decision on how you project yourself to the world -- whether its carefree, dapper, casual, conservative, or bold. if you are uncomfortable with defending your decision, perhaps you should not be wearing it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads