• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I had to actually learn to manipulate data sets for grad school back in the 90s it seemed there was only SAP and SAS. Has that changed?

SAP? I think you must be thinking of something different. SAP makes enterprise software, customized to your needs--since you are in healthcare, I'd compare them to something like Epic Systems (maker of hospital/healthcare backend software) but for normal businesses. They will build your company a full enterprise IT solution that includes HR, Billing, Customer Management, logistics, etc. Oracle's enterprise business is probably their primary competitor (with products like PeopleSoft).

SAS is a stats package/programming language. They have some more integrated analytics solutions, but nothing like SAP does.
Perhaps you are thinking of Stata or SPSS (or S+) which have been around for a long time and would most definitely have been what you used in grad school. SPSS leans a little more toward the social sciences/survey data and might have been popular in your program.

Nowadays, SAS is still huge, but R is taking over in teaching academic settings (SAS costs $$$$$, R is free). Stata's still big, although I don't foresee them holding on unless they make some changes, especially in the "big data" future.
R is a cool project...but a ****** programming language. It can do a lot and has a great community, but as someone who is familiar with other languages, R always bothers me (though I can't claim to be an expert, I am primarily a SAS user).

SAS and SPSS for the old schoolers. Matlab for engineers doing signals/systems. Newer folks learning R. Python is coming around with the numpy and the others.

Python > all.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My friends in finance keep saying that we made it through 2008 and we're still vertical. Granted, I was 25 back then and I'm not exactly getting younger. I'm not planning to add to TSLA or change anything in how my non-fun money is managed. I'd prolly suggest more duh things like fixed yield stuff, but I'm assuming that's going to be the de-facto case anyway. I have a meeting with the local office on Monday - my lazy ass's first since moving to California, so we'll see what they say.

Ask about total asset swap and see what they can offer you.

p.s., surprised your friends in finance r saying we are still vertical after a flat 2015. are they in banking or investments? banking side its all rosy with the late cycle deal flows...

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ask about total asset swap and see what they can offer you.

p.s., surprised your friends in finance r saying we are still vertical after a flat 2015.  are they in banking or investments? banking side its all rosy with the late cycle deal flows...

Vertical in the not physically dead sense/we still have a roof over our heads after what was (hopefully) a far worse 2008/9, not as in 2015 was awesome return wise.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
We could all just buy powerball tickets...

By my estimation, we are looking at an expected value of $1.80 on a ticket that costs $2. That's for lump sum, minus taxes, minus a chance that you might have to split the prize, plus the expected value of non-jackpot prizes.

-10% returns don't look so bad right now.

MSchapiro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We could all just buy powerball tickets...

By my estimation, we are looking at an expected value of $1.80 on a ticket that costs $2. That's for lump sum, minus taxes, minus a chance that you might have to split the prize, plus the expected value of non-jackpot prizes.

-10% returns don't look so bad right now.
I found some change in my drawer and bought two tickets.

Expecting roughly the same kind of return as my oil stocks lol.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Down -6.64% since Jan. 1 in my all-stock 401k. :foo:

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Taking a very small position in Powerball.  Its going to be the next Unicorn.  Another fool stumbled into a gold mine strategy like many companies in the Valley.

If you take the pay-out, after taxes, you'd come out ahead if you picked every combination unless more than 1 other person did as well. Given an estimated 1 billion ticket sales, we can assume ~3 different tickets will win (assuming it's truly random).

Now, if the three of you all chose the annuity, and accounting for taxes, all of you would still come out ahead. Better than this, no?:

Last edited:

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score

If you take the pay-out, after taxes, you'd come out ahead if you picked every combination unless more than 1 other person won. Given an estimated 1 billion ticket sales, we can assume ~3 different tickets will win (assuming it's truly random).

Now, if the three of you all chose the annuity, and accounting for taxes, all of you would still come out ahead. Better than this, no?:

Dude, have you not been paying attention to FB? It doesn't matter who wins, we're all getting $4.33 million and a mule.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads