• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

chickenfark

Reaction score
My biggest beef with the FI community is that it seems to become the sole identity for so many folks. I’m aiming for some form of FIRE (still many, many years out) and constantly remind myself that I’ll need to be have something that keeps me going once work isn’t taking up the majority of my time as it does today.

and to not make a dumb decision like they did and pull the trigger way too early.

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My biggest beef with the FI community is that it seems to become the sole identity for so many folks. I’m aiming for some form of FIRE (still many, many years out) and constantly remind myself that I’ll need to be have something that keeps me going once work isn’t taking up the majority of my time as it does today.

and to not make a dumb decision like they did and pull the trigger way too early.

It can be difficult disassociating the self-absorption that drives much of the bloggers / influencers from the individual desires to retire early.

Obviously the idea of making enough money to retire early is nothing new. I’ve known plenty of people working towards that for years - they weren’t in the”FI community” however. What a lot of the people I am familiar with seemed to miss is that there may be other jobs/careers which might not have the same lifestyle tradeoffs and may make them happier. Side note: as many know I’m (sort of) a lawyer which is a profession filled with miserable people who hate their jobs. So I guess I have experience working with a lot of miserable self-absorbed people.

Also, FIRE aside, it’s common for individuals to build families and change priorities. Some people would rather work than be a stay at home parent and I suspect a number of people learned that in the last 12 months. I’m sure some people learned the opposite lesson and will remain or become stay at home parents.

Self-absorption doesn’t guarantee that you will be able to predict how your feelings or life will develop.

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My biggest beef with the VEGANMARATHONCROSSFITFIPELOTON community is that it seems to become the sole identity for so many folks.
Ftfy.

Anything that become a "community" immediately makes me dislike people

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Says the guy part of the SF community.
Exactly, I don't spend much time nitpicking sleeve lengths because there are a bunch of assholes over there (or at least were)

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Stuff like spinning, options trading and overindexing on savings have been around forever and no one notices. It’s just when a group of insufferable assholes shoves it in your face that you can’t stand it.

the only thing that’s changed is that we now have roving groups of insufferable assholes that diligently go around ******* up every topic for the rest of us

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I like reading the forums of various special interests as you can get ideas without having to participate or commit. We joke about me FIRE'ing, as we know I'm never going to live that lifestyle, but it was good for me to think about our spending, overhead, etc. If I had not re-arranged some money, and re-prioritized some things, I'd never have been able to mentally allow myself to walk away from a rather well paying job. Instead of having a great three months off, keeping my wife safe from COVID, I'd have stayed in the trenches and been abso-*******-lutely miserable vs. allowing myself three months to decompress after the worst year of my life.

TL;DNR = you can benefit from reading the crazy ****/lifestyles of others.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like reading the forums of various special interests as you can get ideas without having to participate or commit. We joke about me FIRE'ing, as we know I'm never going to live that lifestyle, but it was good for me to think about our spending, overhead, etc. If I had not re-arranged some money, and re-prioritized some things, I'd never have been able to mentally allow myself to walk away from a rather well paying job. Instead of having a great three months off, keeping my wife safe from COVID, I'd have stayed in the trenches and been abso-*******-lutely miserable vs. allowing myself three months to decompress after the worst year of my life.

TL;DNR = you can benefit from reading the crazy ****/lifestyles of others.
So re-using the toilet paper was worth it?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Totally.

FWIW, acktually, it's not "reusing" it; you just use both sides once.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
We prefer to use the word "thrifting."

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Busy morning. Making tendies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads