• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Taking a year off of college

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
you have to remember this is $tyleforum, where if you aren't in a T1 law school or going Ivy League you might as well kill yourself because you have no chance of succeeding at anything ever

take the time off if you think it'll make you a better person. this is a good time to travel because tourism is so down and you can get things done super cheap. if you can work now to avoid student loans thats a pretty good deal too.

god youre such a fuckin loser. youll cry over anything, and if theres nothing to cry about youll find something. do you sit at home constantly feeling sorry for yourself while crying into your yamikah?

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd say finish your degree first, then take time off after that and before you enter the rat race.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
don;t take time off. i did this once to find myself and all i found was a love of coke.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
don;t take time off. i did this once to find myself and all i found was a love of cock.

fixed
smile.gif

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How about take time off, AFTER school. I finished two degree in engineering in 3.5 years with perfect GPA, almost did economics as a 3rd major as well, but school wouldn't allow triple major.
I went straight to ph.d in engineering after undergraduate, result? I got burned out, left after 1.5 years with a MS and got a job in finance instead (good thing that they paid everything plus stipend since i was on ph.d program).

I am pretty sure I would have finished phd had I paused a bit, and take the time to think throughly. Honestly, back then I didn't really know why I want or need phd other than every other international student with good math/science background went for it.
musicboohoo[1].gif
Now after working for 2 years, I do miss school from time to time. Especially phd program, the ability to explore, and to do something no one else know or have done before sounds like a wonderful idea to me (but also a frustration if you can't find how to solve something no one has solve before).

Bottom line, finish undergraduate, if you hate it, suck it up (unless you become depressed or something of that sort, then do take time off), finish the degree, then take a break. You should think what you want to do for real. You hate accounting? fine, find something else you do love then. You will never know what you love if you never try though, just sit around and dream usually don't get you far enough.

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't take the year off. Finish you education and get the degree. The year off will only slow your career down.

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by longskate88
The other option though is get out, get the accounting job, and then maybe hate it. What then?

lol

This shows some incredibly poor thinking skills.

Finish school and then decide what you want to do. Or decide what you want to do and work towards it at school. Don't try to do both, you'll fail.

Get out of college then go clear your head. Join the reserves or something and toughen up because you sound like a complete *****. Not everyone who completes a Chem degree become a chemist. Lots of people complete general degrees in the arts and do well in business. Why would accounting be any different? It isn't special.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Take a year off and start doing the hardest drugs you can get your hands on, every single day. You will have a good year then at the last week just pull yourself off the drugs and go back to school.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads