• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

tailors in seoul korea?

lovegtm

Reaction score
Meh, money isn't a big issue. I like Uniqlo a lot for jeans, but I haven't been that impressed with their dress stuff. Thanks for the recs though.

Is there any "clothes in Seoul" thread? I have some more questions and don't want to clutter this thread up if that's no good.

And thanks to the people in here for recommendations so far. I went to Goshe and had a shirt made. Picked it up today and was quite happy with fit/quality.

aspirant

Reaction score
This thread is so refreshing after reading the Hong Kong threads!
You guys are cool and down-to-earth. All those other guys are so obsessed with WW. Chan and the likes. They'll also absolutely devoted to Italian and English fabrics and would ridicule anyone who would consider anything else.

Is it possible to get my hands on some of the shirts and suits online of the reputable tailors that you mentioned?

Thanks
Ben

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aspirant
This thread is so refreshing after reading the Hong Kong threads!
You guys are cool and down-to-earth. All those other guys are so obsessed with WW. Chan and the likes. They'll also absolutely devoted to Italian and English fabrics and would ridicule anyone who would consider anything else.

Is it possible to get my hands on some of the shirts and suits online of the reputable tailors that you mentioned?

Thanks
Ben

To be fair, Hongkong has no VAT or import duty. So there's no advantage to not using cloth from anywhere you like there.

aspirant

Reaction score
I've been trying to contact Cheil/Samsung about getting their fabric. Have not been successful b/c apparently their international arm in China is being acquired by a chinese company.

Does anyone know how I would be able to get my hands on some swatch books? I'll be happy to pay.

aspirant

Reaction score
Thanks for that, but is there an english version? You mentioned that your tailor gives you the option of material. If you chose a english/italian fabric, how much more would it cost? I ask this b/c i want to get a estimate of how much cheaper the goldentex is compared to the european fabrics.
thanks

gtrain83

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Miha28
I'm getting few shirts made this or next week here in Daegu. I made a list of the details that I'd like:

• Removable collar bones
  • Matching patterns
  • Slim fitting
  • No breast pocket
  • Mother of Pearl buttons
  • Single cuff button
  • No pleats

Are there any Koreans here who could translate that into Korean so I can print it and take it with me? Any other details that might be worth pointing out? How to get the shirt that would really fit me? Should I bring any photos of the fitting I'd like?

Did you get this done? how was it?

gtrain83

Reaction score
Also, how is the tailor scene in Daegu? Should I wait until I arrive to get shirts and pants or should I bring an ample supply from the US?

kimchijajonshim

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a good after market tailor? I have a bunch of shirts that I'd like to get drawn in around the trunk and possibly arms. The concierge at my hotel mentioned that the 세탁소 down the street does it, but in the neighborhood I'm in (near chungmuro) I wouldn't trust it. Maybe if I was in apgujeong or kangnam. It's no rush, I was just thinking it would be cheaper to do it here than to do it back in the states since I have about 6-7 shirts that I'd like tailored.

Need to read through this for shirts, I want to get a couple made while I'm out there.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is an ancient thread which has been revived for whatever reason but were you to trouble to search you would find two recent threads on this subject.

Last edited:

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is an ancient thread which has been revived for whatever reason but were you to trouble to search you would find two recent threads on this subject.

This thread gets about one new set of comments a month. It's a bit like that car from the Johnny Cash song 1 piece at a time. On the subject of alterations, a real tailor is cheap enough in Seoul. Don't get it done by the dry cleaners. You're lucky if the drycleaners know what to do with anything that isn't polyester. I get my alterations at Dynasty in Itaewon.

dalsauks

Reaction score
If you are looking for a decent tailor in Daegu, I would suggest Deobelly (www.deobelly.com).
They are located near Camp Walker, and do good work for the price.

Shirts are ~$45 U.S. (10% discount if you use cash), and suits start around $260 (and up, depending on fabric and options.)
The suits are fully canvased and they cut a pattern for each customer (i.e., not MTM).

gtrain83

Reaction score

Sorry I didn't think that a thread from 5/11 would be too old to comment on in 7/11.

If you are looking for a decent tailor in Daegu, I would suggest Deobelly (www.deobelly.com).
They are located near Camp Walker, and do good work for the price.

Shirts are ~$45 U.S. (10% discount if you use cash), and suits start around $260 (and up, depending on fabric and options.)
The suits are fully canvased and they cut a pattern for each customer (i.e., not MTM).

Excellent information and much appreciated. Thank you.

kimchijajonshim

Reaction score
I just got measured up for two shirts at Savile Row in Gwanghwamun. They did not seem to negotiate. Prices were a bit higher than other places I've seen (it was 65k won a pop after a 10% discount), but they are well-regarded, they're in a convenient location for me (15 minutes from where I'm working), and I liked that they did only shirts.

There was a younger guy and the owner, who seemed to be youngish himself (maybe mid-30s at the oldest). I have a pretty perfunctory grasp of Korean but did fine. English speakers could probably get basics across, but I would bring along a Korean speaker if you have very, very specific requirements.

I will update to let people who how they turn out, if I like them i will likely get a more expensive, formal shirt made while I'm out here.

(There are two separate Savile Rows in Seoul, one is the Savile Row/Goche in Gwanghwamun, the other in Itaewon has also been mentioned. I don't believe they're affiliated.)

duzichong

Reaction score

I just got measured up for two shirts at Savile Row in Gwanghwamun. They did not seem to negotiate. Prices were a bit higher than other places I've seen (it was 65k won a pop after a 10% discount), but they are well-regarded, they're in a convenient location for me (15 minutes from where I'm working), and I liked that they did only shirts.

There was a younger guy and the owner, who seemed to be youngish himself (maybe mid-30s at the oldest). I have a pretty perfunctory grasp of Korean but did fine. English speakers could probably get basics across, but I would bring along a Korean speaker if you have very, very specific requirements.

I will update to let people who how they turn out, if I like them i will likely get a more expensive, formal shirt made while I'm out here.

(There are two separate Savile Rows in Seoul, one is the Savile Row/Goche in Gwanghwamun, the other in Itaewon has also been mentioned. I don't believe they're affiliated.)
i don't know the situation of savil row located in Gwanghwamun because i didn't go to the store. however, i am pretty sure that i will never be to savil row in itaewon again which is not worthy even a minute to talk with the old guy. the old guy could speak fluent english but that's all. they will treat you well the first time but they will cheat you second time! you will know that is my experience if you read the old thread. i have gotten 7 shirts in goshe, 5 cotton 2 linen, that's much better than savil row in itaewon including more fabric choices, colloar styles, cuff styles, botton kinds, stitching etc. even you can ask goshe to post th shirts to your home if you can let them know your house address in korean. but the price is a little bit higher and i think goshe are woth their salt. i ordered another jantzen shirt, from hongkong, on their website because of low price and more fabric choices. some guys from other thread said that the craftmanship of jantzen was much better compared with its price range although need to wait for one month.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads