• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

tailors in seoul korea?

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
TBH I prefer the tailors in Pyongyang, Korea.

'..highly reputed in world markets..'

Last edited:

kimchijajonshim

Reaction score
Picked up my suit today from Mr. Lim's in Pyeontek city near Osan Air Force base. Very happy with the quality at the price point. Great guy. I met with a number of tailors near the base and went with him on a gut feeling (even though he was the most expensive) and am REALLY happy. I made 3 different suits with 3 different tailors in hopes of finding "my guy" and I think I found him. Dayton's custom tailor is going to really have to impress me when I pick u tomorrow to get my continuous business. Even if the suit's of equal quality, it was markedly more expensive.

I'll do a more extensive write-up once I'm back in the states and have photos.

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
phoned in an order from the states with mr.choi at savile row in itaewon

i had my suit made at savile row back in january and it came out beautifully
(i still have not posted any pictures... i will do that soon)
i have relatives coming from korea for my sister's wedding next month so i figured i could save a little money on the shipping
(not sure how much shipping the suit costs but why not take advantage of "free shipping"?)
my first order was a dark charcoal 2 button single breast
this time i am ordering a dark navy 2 button
i hope this second suit comes out just as perfectly as the first one did
if it does, i am definitely going to order 1 or 2 more before the end of the year

molayo

Reaction score

Does anyone know of a good after market tailor? I have a bunch of shirts that I'd like to get drawn in around the trunk and possibly arms. The concierge at my hotel mentioned that the 세탁소 down the street does it, but in the neighborhood I'm in (near chungmuro) I wouldn't trust it. Maybe if I was in apgujeong or kangnam. It's no rush, I was just thinking it would be cheaper to do it here than to do it back in the states since I have about 6-7 shirts that I'd like tailored.

Need to read through this for shirts, I want to get a couple made while I'm out there.
I don't know whether you'll see my reply but I recommend 'Myung-Poom-Sa' near Yaksu subway station which is close to Chungmuro. The owner had worked as a tailor before, so he has a good understanding of patterns. The phone number is 02-2233-0068 and it's in Dong-A Heitz apartment.

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
charcoalfrenchedit.jpg

quick phone picture of the suit from savile row
will try to get better quality photos later

kimchijajonshim

Reaction score
I don't know whether you'll see my reply but I recommend 'Myung-Poom-Sa' near Yaksu subway station which is close to Chungmuro.
The owner had worked as a tailor before, so he has a good understanding of patterns.
The phone number is 02-2233-0068 and it's in Dong-A Heitz apartment.

Drats. I wish I'd known this earlier. I lived within a 10 minute walk from Chungmuro, but I'm back in the states now, so this information is now useless. Thanks anyway.

aeglus

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I just got measured up for two shirts at Savile Row in Gwanghwamun. They did not seem to negotiate. Prices were a bit higher than other places I've seen (it was 65k won a pop after a 10% discount), but they are well-regarded, they're in a convenient location for me (15 minutes from where I'm working), and I liked that they did only shirts.

There was a younger guy and the owner, who seemed to be youngish himself (maybe mid-30s at the oldest). I have a pretty perfunctory grasp of Korean but did fine. English speakers could probably get basics across, but I would bring along a Korean speaker if you have very, very specific requirements.

I will update to let people who how they turn out, if I like them i will likely get a more expensive, formal shirt made while I'm out here.

(There are two separate Savile Rows in Seoul, one is the Savile Row/Goche in Gwanghwamun, the other in Itaewon has also been mentioned. I don't believe they're affiliated.)
i don't know the situation of savil row located in Gwanghwamun because i didn't go to the store. however, i am pretty sure that i will never be to savil row in itaewon again which is not worthy even a minute to talk with the old guy. the old guy could speak fluent english but that's all. they will treat you well the first time but they will cheat you second time! you will know that is my experience if you read the old thread. i have gotten 7 shirts in goshe, 5 cotton 2 linen, that's much better than savil row in itaewon including more fabric choices, colloar styles, cuff styles, botton kinds, stitching etc. even you can ask goshe to post th shirts to your home if you can let them know your house address in korean. but the price is a little bit higher and i think goshe are woth their salt. i ordered another jantzen shirt, from hongkong, on their website because of low price and more fabric choices. some guys from other thread said that the craftmanship of jantzen was much better compared with its price range although need to wait for one month.
Savile Row in Itaewon is great as long as you are a picky person and vocal about it. You should have been more vocal about what you want. That said, shirts there are nothing special.

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^ Can you get a full length shot?

hey
i found a long mirror hanging in a different floor's restroom in my work building
so i will try to get some full length shots the next time i'm wearing the savile row suit

apple3210

Reaction score
hey guys, i'm gonna revive this thread.

anyway, i'll be in seoul around january next year for 1 week. Is it possible to get a 2 piece suit made within 1 week? Any suggestions on tailors? i should be staying around insadong area.

Also, will there be any issues if i'm unsure exactly what i want? all i know is i don't need something top of the range (i only recently started working). Particularly looking for 2 button in grey.

Last edited:

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

hey guys, i'm gonna revive this thread.

anyway, i'll be in seoul around january next year for 1 week. Is it possible to get a 2 piece suit made within 1 week? Any suggestions on tailors? i should be staying around insadong area.

Also, will there be any issues if i'm unsure exactly what i want? all i know is i don't need something top of the range (i only recently started working). Particularly looking for 2 button in grey.

People here have use Savile Row in Itaewon a lot. I use Hahn's which is right next door. From what I know they are the only two worth going to in Itaewon. You can request and get the suit finished in a week with no problems. There won't be any issues if you are just looking for a standard 2 button in grey. If you're really worried, you could always bring a picture of what you want with you.

Last edited:

apple3210

Reaction score

People here have use Savile Row in Itaewon a lot. I use Hahn's which is right next door. From what I know they are the only two worth going to in Itaewon. You can request and get the suit finished in a week with no problems. There won't be any issues if you are just looking for a standard 2 button in grey. If you're really worried, you could always bring a picture of what you want with you.

thanks for the reply.

Does the tailor at Hahn speak english well enough? Also which fabric should i be choosing for the entry level 500k Won suits? Anything i should be specific about ie. slim fitting etc.

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

thanks for the reply.

Does the tailor at Hahn speak English well enough? Also which fabric should i be choosing for the entry level 500k Won suits? Anything i should be specific about ie. slim fitting etc.

Yea Hahn's English is pretty damn good. The only problem is that you will have to stress the little details that you want. Hahn will be able to help you pick the fabrics. Just go in tell him your price range and he can guide you through it.

Also, if you go there, tell him Mr. Mui said hi!

apple3210

Reaction score
ok thanks for the info.

How good are the shirts btw? thinking of getting a couple of shirts made as well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads