• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tailoring

GQ Lawyer

Reaction score
I just bought a shirt that was marked 16 1/2 for the neck size (obviously my size). However, when I wore it today, it was obviously 1/2 - 1inch too big. Does anyone know if a tailor can take in the neck? Should I just have him move the button or does it take the entire shirt to be recut?

Please help, I hate to waste the money on such a nice shirt.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'd probably return the shirt. The most a tailor could do is move the button 1/4" and that would only help if there is a gap at the top of the collar, otherwise it would look strange. Have you laundered the shirt yet and has it shrunk at all or do you think it still might shrink?

j
SF admin

Abe2

Reaction score
Generally, it's a good idea to try a shirt on before you buy it. Size measurements are not standard, and a 16.5 for one label is not the same in another.

If they won't let you try on the specific shirt you want (e.g. it's in a package, etc), they should have "sample" shirts. Even if the shirt is a different model, the sizes should match up.

hwaseng

Reaction score
There is no way to reduce the neck size for 1/2 - 1 inch as the collar is already fix in their size. The only way you could do is to change the collar altogether. But this is for a custom made shirt which you can ask your tailor to replace but if you buy off the shelve then I think you could go back to the store and have the shirt replace.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hmmm....what brand of shirt are we talking about? I've read that some manufacturers make the collars a half size larger to allow for shrinkage over the first 3 washings.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The Foxx is correct. All cotton shirts shrink. Most makers, CM and RM allow about 1/2" in the collar and 1/2-3/4" in the sleeve.

Always make sure there is a little room in the collar when you try it on. It is always a good idea to have a new shirt laundered before wearing. It will cause the collar to shrink and remove any of the residual chemicals used in the finishing of the fabric.

learydenis

Reaction score
It will cause the collar to shrink and remove any of the residual chemicals used in the finishing of the fabric.

Are these chemicals what cause the fabric to look "shiny" after being ironed upon completion of the sewing?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads