• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tailoring Question - JoSABanc

BBdude

Reaction score
I just bought a few higher-end shirts from JAB and they would not bring in the shirt.

I am a 18 neck and 34/35 arms. This puts me in a big and tall, but I'm only 6' ... just have wide shoulders and a muscular build.

Right now the shirt looks great with my jacket on, but without it ... it looks like I'm wearing a parachute.

Is there anything that can be done? Is it even worth it for a $60-$70 shirt?

Thanks in advance as always.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A good tailor ought be able to bring in the shirt somewhat. However, for future reference, you may want to look elsewhere. JAB is intended for a more traditional American build, where the waist size exceeds the chest size by a fair amount. Hence, the billowy shirts of one has a significant drop. At your price point, you may wish to consider Land's End's m-t-m program.

StopPolloition

Reaction score
A local tailor can probably take it in and make the sleeves less baggy for $20 bucks.

I'd also recommend using Jantzen if you're willing to self measure or supply actual shirt measurements of a well fitting shirt.

BBdude

Reaction score
Originally Posted by StopPolloition
A local tailor can probably take it in and make the sleeves less baggy for $20 bucks.

I'd also recommend using Jantzen if you're willing to self measure or supply actual shirt measurements of a well fitting shirt.

Thanks.

Doesn't Jantzen take like ages to make a shirt?

pbc

Reaction score
I'd just look for another local alterations tailor.

oaw01

Reaction score
Originally Posted by anon
I've had a half dozen or so JAB shirts taken in at the dry cleaner for under $20 a pop.

The seams don't look awesome, but the fit is significantly better.

Yup, the seams look like crap from my cleaner except she charged $16 for cutting the sides. However, she charged me $10 for darting shirts - hell I thought it would be a $5 job for darts.

StopPolloition

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BBdude
Thanks.

Doesn't Jantzen take like ages to make a shirt?

No, 3 weeks. Make sure you read a lot of the Jantzen threads around here before ordering. Also you can probably count on having the first 2 shirts made as test shirts to make the right pattern for you unless you measure off your shirt and remember to add some length to that for sleeve shrinkage, in fact I'd add a whole inch or more on your first shirt to make sure, you can always shorten the sleeve later if it's excessive. After ordering, if you get no confirmation e-mail within a couple days, e-mail them. If that doesn't work, be prepared to call them in Hong Kong. The people who aren't willing to call Ricky to confirm their orders sometimes report troubles getting it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads