• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tailoring Help, I am clueless.

jhenson

Reaction score
I'm about to buy a suit and I want to get it tailored so it looks its best on me. I have a few questions. 1- avg cost and time it takes tailor to finish the job? The main problem I have is that im skinny and tall. The stores tell me to get a size 40L mainly bc of the pants. but my chest only measures 38ish inches. So if i bought a 40L wouldnt that be way too big? Would a 38L fit great if can find pants to go with? And then my other question about tailoring, could a tailor "tighten" up a 40L enough to make it fit good if too big?

Taxler

Reaction score
1 week for most department stores. A bit longer for smaller specialty stores. I wouldn't suggest letting them do any major suit alterations.

Don't buy a suit where both the jacket and trousers don't fit. If price is the concern, I would choose a less-expensive lower-quality suit that fits correctly.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads