• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tailoring a full length topcoat to 3/4s

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a full length vintage cashmere topcoat on ebay recently. It cost next to nothing, and is a nice coat, so I bought it, but I was really in the market for a 3/4 length coat in the same style. Shoulders, chest, and sleeves fit well, but I'd like to see if my tailor can cut off "1/4" of the coat so hits above my knees. Anyone ever had it done? What should I anticipate in terms of cost (I'm in DC)?

It doesn't seem like it would be all that difficult, but what do I know.

Thanks!

JhwkMac

Reaction score
I considered the same for a full length missoni coat i considered buying but the only good tailor in my town charges an arm and a leg. I know for a fact tailors -can- do it though. if the coat was cheap i recommend going to a cheap tailor!

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Wouldnt the buttoning point be awkward on a shortened full length coat?

+1

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I imagine it would depend on the coat, but that's more then possible.

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did it to a St Andrews cashmere coat. I'm happy with it. I think it cost about $60 to have it shortened.

mhdena

Reaction score
Why not keep looking for a shorter coat and keep this one as is? One day you'll appreciate it more than you do now.

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Originally Posted by cptjeff
I imagine it would depend on the coat, but that's more then possible.

I'll safety pin it up to the length that I think is right and see. I don't think it will be awkward, but we'll see.

Originally Posted by mhdena
Why not keep looking for a shorter coat and keep this one as is? One day you'll appreciate it more than you do now.

I have a much nicer full length coat. I'd like this to be a more casual coat - something that I can wear with business casual, but also with jeans and a sweater.

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chips
I did it to a St Andrews cashmere coat. I'm happy with it. I think it cost about $60 to have it shortened.

How did you choose what length to cut the jacket?

ALFAMALE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ive taken 3 inches off a full length coat(so it would be a little above me knees), I paid about 40 bucks, and the outcome was spectacular. The button stance is fairly high on my coat, which is why this worked. I wouldn't try the same thing with a coat that has lower buttons or lower pockets.

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had it altered to stop about one inch above the knees. Not much of an alteration ( about 3 inches ) and the buttons are still balanced. It's a raglan sleeve coat with **** pockets, so the appearance of the pockets weren't affected by the shortening.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads