• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sydney Tailors

Simon Templar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
I note that many of you are still sourcing your own cloth. Please note that both Adamo Marrone and Sam Disano have been distributed with books by Dugdale. They are the last family owned independent cloth merchant based in Huddersfield. Dugdale do not sell through middle men and so you do not pay their extortionist agency fees. This makes the number one bang for your buck English cloth you could possibly buy. You can see the swatches yourself and you can get your tailor to procure the exact amount of cloth needed for you. If multiple clients place orders this will save everyone courier fees too.

This is a thread on the English & Town Classics book (no local tailor has this, but it can be organised to be delivered if there is sufficient demand). There is a bit of positive feedback on how the cloth makes up by Jefferyd in that thread.

A bit about the company here:

http://www.cutterandtailor.com/forum...?showtopic=522

This is better value than Minnis or any other source you care to name. Given that you can get a great choice of designs, and that they are firsts rather than a questionable end of mill run, you are far better off going with Dugdale than buying off eBay. I have been very impressed by the quality of the cloth.

If necessary, other tailors in Sydney can be distributed the books. Disclaimer: I have no financial connection with Dugdale whatsoever. I (like the tailors around town) am just a bit sick of the extortionist mark ups imposed by cloth middle men.

I am really hoping to get a suit made up by Adamo later this year. Will ask about this company for sure.

mr.rose

Reaction score
Just a bump to check for newer updates, since it's almost been 4 months since this thread was last posted in.

What are your recomendations for good quality, stylish, bespoke shirts, budget, maybe $200-300 shirt?

Heard Charles Nakhle was good?

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr.rose
Just a bump to check for newer updates, since it's almost been 4 months since this thread was last posted in.

What are your recomendations for good quality, stylish, bespoke shirts, budget, maybe $200-300 shirt?

Heard Charles Nakhle was good?

he's the guy.

Banker1

Reaction score
Actually Sartor when I bought my suit from Germanicos tailors I actually used a English cloth from Huddersfield cloth (Dugdale) in the cape Breeze range wool & mohair mix.. I agree with you it is magnificent.

After speaking with John from Germanicos he mentioned that Germanicos uses Dugdale cloth throughout their export network of 15 countries and buy huge volumes... He had also just returned from Huddersfield after having meetings with the owners Dugdale. (highly recomend the fabric at it's price point!)

In response to the other queries regarding Germanicos, as I mentioned before I have been wearing and buying suits for a great number of years. Throughout this time I have used several tailors. I can honestly say that the service, leadtime and quality of the finished product from Germanicos is far superior to all the others I have purchased in Sydney.

I know they are a company with a worldwide presence and produce their suits offshore, I am not quite sure where, however when I went for my fittings they had their own dedicated tailors to take care of 2nd and 3rd fittings and their own equipment ie: sewing machines, pressing machines etc etc.

Also as I just went in the other week again for some more garments, I was told that they do offer and Australian made bespoke service now, is more expensive, but i guess if it's a big issue where your garment is made there is your option...

Further to that I did ask them why they dont produce the suits in Australia, John's response was that most of the good qualified tailors in Australia are either 60 or 70 years old, and that there is no schooling or appreticeships for tailors and any new blood coming out of the country. He also explained that they export to 15 countries and they need many good tailors and stitchers working for them, it would be impossible to get those numbers here in Australia...

I'm happy with the make and fabric, and I get compliments everytime I wear the suit, so all I am saying is that I highly recomend them as I do know finding a good consistent bespoke tailor in Australia is very difficult....

Originally Posted by Sator
I note that many of you are still sourcing your own cloth. Please note that both Adamo Marrone and Sam Disano have been distributed with books by Dugdale. They are the last family owned independent cloth merchant based in Huddersfield. Dugdale do not sell through middle men and so you do not pay their extortionist agency fees. This makes the number one bang for your buck English cloth you could possibly buy. You can see the swatches yourself and you can get your tailor to procure the exact amount of cloth needed for you. If multiple clients place orders this will save everyone courier fees too.

This is a thread on the English & Town Classics book (no local tailor has this, but it can be organised to be delivered if there is sufficient demand). There is a bit of positive feedback on how the cloth makes up by Jefferyd in that thread.

A bit about the company here:

http://www.cutterandtailor.com/forum...?showtopic=522

This is better value than Minnis or any other source you care to name. Given that you can get a great choice of designs, and that they are firsts rather than a questionable end of mill run, you are far better off going with Dugdale than buying off eBay. I have been very impressed by the quality of the cloth.

If necessary, other tailors in Sydney can be distributed the books. Disclaimer: I have no financial connection with Dugdale whatsoever. I (like the tailors around town) am just a bit sick of the extortionist mark ups imposed by cloth middle men.

budgiesmuggler

Reaction score
Regarding minnis cloth, I've had 3 suits made in it which I wear daily, and all still look amazing. The eldest, which is 4 years old, actually looks better now than when it was made!

Also, where is a good alterations tailor? I need to have my coat lining replaced.

And are their any companies that do suit cleaning (not dry cleaners)?

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by budgiesmuggler
Regarding minnis cloth, I've had 3 suits made in it which I wear daily, and all still look amazing. The eldest, which is 4 years old, actually looks better now than when it was made!

Also, where is a good alterations tailor? I need to have my coat lining replaced.

And are their any companies that do suit cleaning (not dry cleaners)?

Alterations = Hayel and Son 4th floor Gowings building Market and George (entrance on Market). Suit Cleaning Avant Guarde in Mosman and Blue and White.

BTW where ae de Havilland suits made?

hylo

Reaction score
All

Interesting comments and I am new to this forum .. First post.. I have 4 shirts from Charles Nakhle and they are all exceptional first and just damned good value for money second. Charles also in my opinion is an outstanding individual.

Today idropped inn and ordered 2 more and enquired about suits. Never had a bespoke or Mtm and don't really care. Found my anthony squires quite good and now have 3 canali which just fit me well and definitely feel and look really good,btw I buy Canali ineurope at half the price herein Sydney which is crazy

Charles recmended hashamtailor next door so I've made an order and will let you know how it goes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics