• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sxsw

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by heavy D
I went with one of my bands, played two shows in two days, came back. I'm not knocking it, I know some guys love it and I understand why, but I couldn't stand it there. Most of my off time was spent as far away from the SXSW scene as I could be.

Basically, to me, it's like any other summer music festival I've been to, just with tighter jeans and hipper haircuts. Not saying it's "sold out" or anything like that, just that with the internet a lot of the reasons it was necessary a decade a go are now moot. So the festival continues to exist, just with a slightly different purpose. But I will admit, people were generally very nice and pleasant, which is saying a lot when you have these situations where folks are basically drunk since noon.

cheers.gif

How were your shows? Flying in and out of there is hell on earth!

Where'd you play?

heavy D

Reaction score
Shows were good, thanks. That group is more of a dancey/disco/funk outfit, so it's not the usual SXSW fare, but we still had good turnouts and got people dancing. As for the flights we flew in and out of San Antonio, so that helped. Main problem is the freeway signs in Texas are absolutely ridiculous- they make no sense at all. Sometimes the sign for an off ramp will be 150 ft after the ramp. We got into Austin and spent 45 minutes looking for our hotel- we could see it from the freeway but couldn't figure out how to get there as everything we tried just put us in a big ass loop. And I had directions printed out and everything. The have built in turnarounds on most exits that bypass the traffic lights which helps, but if they had decent signage they wouldn't be needed...
eh.gif

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
South by South Who Cares

Most Austinites blow their loads on themselves thinking about this festival. The locals over rate it.

Mazda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by heavy D
Shows were good, thanks. That group is more of a dancey/disco/funk outfit, so it's not the usual SXSW fare, but we still had good turnouts and got people dancing. As for the flights we flew in and out of San Antonio, so that helped. Main problem is the freeway signs in Texas are absolutely ridiculous- they make no sense at all. Sometimes the sign for an off ramp will be 150 ft after the ramp. We got into Austin and spent 45 minutes looking for our hotel- we could see it from the freeway but couldn't figure out how to get there as everything we tried just put us in a big ass loop. And I had directions printed out and everything. The have built in turnarounds on most exits that bypass the traffic lights which helps, but if they had decent signage they wouldn't be needed...
eh.gif

Yeah no idea why Central Austin signage along I-35 is so ******. It reminds me of D.C. Not THAT bad, but close. It has been like that for like 5 years too.

Texas normally has great highway and infastructure. Aside from the clusterfuck of 7 different freeways crossing in the area around DFW airport and Grapevine I have never seen anything really bad until Austin started tearing up I-35. Mopac and 360 in Austin can be a bit confusing since they cross multiple major highways in close proximity, but I'll trade the confusion for the fact they have minimal signage encroaching on the beautiful landscape.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Friend recently moved to Austin and I'm thinking of visiting during SXSW next spring. Is it possible to get into shows during the thing without a SXSW badge? Would be down for some rock and beer and food etc but not sure if I want to commit to a $700 concert ticket if I'm not "industry."

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah, there are a lot of free shows around and you can also get a wristband for around 150 (i think) that will get you into the venues. badges get priority entrance, then wristbands, then hoi polloi.

it's kind of a PITA for the bigger acts but if you don't give a crap who you're seeing, you can walk right into most places. i go to a lot of stuff and have never had a badge or wristband.

when it gets closer, a lot of places have free parties (sposored by bigger companies like levi's, etc.) where you RSVP to them and you're on the guest list for entry. once inside, there's music, free booze, free schwag, and ***** galore. you can also come and go as you like.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads