• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SWD Discussion Thread for Tailoring

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think so. I started this thread because I like to discuss tailoring, but find it difficult to have convos on the CM side of the board nowadays. I assume the Husbands thread will eventually devolve into people posting, "who actually wears this?" "Is this streetwear?" "Ah, fashion swings again." etc etc etc.
I guess you're likely correct on the arguing. I think it's a great idea for a thread. Actually wish my office would power down a bit suit-wise.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think so. I started this thread because I like to discuss tailoring, but find it difficult to have convos on the CM side of the board nowadays. I assume the Husbands thread will eventually devolve into people posting, "who actually wears this?" "Is this streetwear?" "Ah, fashion swings again." etc etc etc.

I would think husband paris stuff is quite wearable, actually can't think of any other RTW with similar aesthetics (maybe Tom Ford but TF has stronger chest vs. this feels more lean everywhere).

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a really nice seersucker suit from them.
It "looked" great but the jacket was too tight to actually move in.
I still have a denim western i wear all the time and some navy wool fresco suit trousers that are really nice. I’d love to get another suit in a fuller cut.

the suit:

Solid navy seersucker is a great look. I agree that a bit more of a relaxed fit would be ideal in the context of this thread.

I've been in contact with The Armoury for a MTO in navy seersucker in their Model 7 which is unlined and no canvas.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I'm really enjoying this thread as well! It's fascinating to see how our tailoring business has evolved throughout the pandemic.

Two years ago, we made all of our custom tailored clothing with Southwick. My number one fabric was wool fresco. The majority of our orders were full suits in four-season wools or tweed sportcoats. Guys mostly ordered for professional work attire.

These days, we're the second-largest client for Hickey Freeman. Our number one fabric is dyed Japanese Sashiko cotton.. quickly followed by casual chore coats in tweed and flannel. I'd say that most customers are looking for a unique and personalized item.. rather than something simple for work.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the only thread on that side I'm in is the NMWA one, which is probably unusual in a lot of ways, but I'm kind of surprised it's as bad as all that—what's changed?

I think there was a special community here about ten years ago made up of people who had a good sense of humor and a lot of knowledge about classic men's style. Over the years, many of those people left one by one for various reasons. Some moved on and started wearing different clothes, some started businesses, some didn't like how the forum felt increasingly commercial. The community there now feels different.

Now the CM board is mostly focused on: 1) expensive dress shoes as standalone objects, 2) boring clothes, and 3) discussions about who made what so people can find cheaper sources for things.

Someone on the CM side of the board recently likened the board to an "academic peer review." Like how you would submit a paper into a journal and get critiqued on it, this person felt this is what happens to posts. And I think he saw this as a good thing, as it helps The Dialectic that presumably turns people into better dressers. I personally find the dynamic off-putting and there's rarely any good humor or camaraderie on that side of the board, at least outside of affiliate threads. Threads quickly devolve into political fights, the most boring takes on clothes (e.g., "is this from the Derelicte collection?"), and repeats of the same grumblings about how no one dresses up anymore.

kjb

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

oh so you've spent time in the Drakes thread too...

物の哀れ

Reaction score
Solid navy seersucker is a great look.

Agreed.

1643320109806.jpeg

1643320139674.jpeg

1643320213911.jpeg

1643320247349.jpeg

Bonus regular seersucker.

1643320318528.jpeg

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Here's two recent suits that we ran in Natural & Aubergine Japanese cotton sashiko. This has been a really fun project! We get the fabric from Japan, wash and dye it in Los Angeles, then send it to Hickey Freeman in Rochester for production. The end product is a MTM suit in this rad textured cotton pique.

This is typically a very casual fabric (martial arts uniforms are pretty casual), so I think it's a nice SW&D take on the typical tailored suit

RTC Natural Sashiko Jacket Main.jpg
RTC Natural Sashiko Cuff.jpg
RTC Natural Sashiko Detail.jpg
RTC Aubergine Sashiko Main.jpg
RTC Aubergine Detail.jpg
RTC Aubergine Felt.jpg
RTC Aubergine Pant.jpg

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
It may be a small detail to some, but I like a 3 patch pocket jacket, with one of them being a patch chest pocket for a more casual/relaxed style.

Same! I'm a huge fan of pairing a ticket pocket to an open patch hip pocket as well. We have a great customer in Hong Kong who always orders his jackets with this detail, and it's really nice.

Chestnut Wide Wale Pocket.jpg

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These double patch hip pockets are ideal for your phone. You don't see the weight of the phone causing the outside pocket to sag or bulg.

I'm a huge fan of pairing a ticket pocket to an open patch hip pocket as well. We have a great customer in Hong Kong who always orders his jackets with this detail, and it's really nice.

View attachment 1744683

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
These double patch hip pockets are ideal for your phone. You don't see the weight of the phone causing the outside pocket to sag or bulg.

Ah good call. I know that he uses it for the HK metro card. I'm honestly not sure if it's large enough to hold a phone though.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Here's two recent suits that we ran in Natural & Aubergine Japanese cotton sashiko. This has been a really fun project! We get the fabric from Japan, wash and dye it in Los Angeles, then send it to Hickey Freeman in Rochester for production. The end product is a MTM suit in this rad textured cotton pique.

This is typically a very casual fabric (martial arts uniforms are pretty casual), so I think it's a nice SW&D take on the typical tailored suit

View attachment 1744668 View attachment 1744669 View attachment 1744670 View attachment 1744671 View attachment 1744672 View attachment 1744673 View attachment 1744674

how do they stand over time? Does it bleed color at all?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads