• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sunglasses MEGATHREAD - all sunglass questions here please

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Metal Circus
When I think of Oakleys, I think of (a) Marines (b)frat bros (c)computer science majors trying too hard.

So true. Especially the third.

Lamo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiger02
RayBanWayfarerRB2132.jpg

49_1_sbol.JPG

wayfarers look terrible on me for some reason... they're nice though

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lamo
wayfarers look terrible on me for some reason... they're nice though
I prefer the similar style without the silver highlights at the temples, myself.

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiger02
RayBanWayfarerRB2132.jpg

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I don't think Wayfarers look good either. I realize they've been around since the fifties, but they epitomize the eighties to me. Too much extraneous plastic.

scoon0224

Reaction score
knowing more than a little about them, Oakley's are the way to go if you find a style you like.

If you are gonna wear them for extended periods of time, the optics are far superior (I personally get headaches from almost all glasses, and have never gotten headaches from my Oakley's, even driving sunrise to sunset cross-continent for three days on end)

As for any sporting activities, forget just about anything else. Besides the optical performance, they're tested for impact protection, and offer the broadest range of tints for various lighting conditions.

As for their durability, I've never had oakleys come apart or known anyone who's had trouble with them.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scoon0224
As for any sporting activities, forget just about anything else. Besides the optical performance, they're tested for impact protection, and offer the broadest range of tints for various lighting conditions.
Tested maybe, useful absolutely not. Wiley X makes some ugly glasses but they save lives every day. Revo has much better optics, as do Maui Jim and others. Maui Jim and Serengeti can be had for decent prices on eBay and Ray Ban is always a better deal that Oakley. American Optics and Randolph Engineering make real aviators--as in the shades that real aviators wear.

Tom

vc2000

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TrojanGarb
Only the nicer wire frame oakleys. The plastic ones are certainly dated.

I'm a big fan of these
http://www.mauijim.com/mjweb/public/...um_results.jsp

Rimeless, hingless - gives a very clean look. The big ones look like aviators, but i prefer the smaller sizes.

I love Maui Jim's. I would recommend them to anybody. However the Titanium model I find to be hard to use. The case for them is huge. They are easily damaged if you don't use the case. I hate carrying around the huge case to protect the glasses when I am not wearing them.

scoon0224

Reaction score
As for optics, Private Pilot (the flying magazine) does their own testing and comparisions. Oakley has swept every one I've seen. I'd genuinely like to see some other independent testing that tells me otherwise (the selection for the tests was limited, and Randolph and American Optics weren't included for comparison)

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone remember Vuarnets, or am I REALLY dating myself? They were a very important accessory for '80s fashion.

I've always liked the Wayfarer, but it's a very heavy pair of sunglasses (I generally can't wear them for very long). I'd say get something with a thin wire frame, for comfort's sake (like the RB aviators).

Rye GB

Angry Englishman
Reaction score
What do I think of Oakley sunglasses?

Blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Should only be worn by: Nasty ass small penis frat boy son of race car driving Orange County douch bags driving lifted F-150's way to fast on the freeway to Newport & Laguna.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rye GB
Should only be worn by: Nasty ass small penis frat boy son of race car driving Orange County douch bags driving lifted F-150's way to fast on the freeway to Newport & Laguna.

aka "Bro's"

Jen

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I sooo wanted a pair in 1994!
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics