• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Summer wedding with a twist...

GHo

Reaction score
Need some guidance and/or opinions please.

My youngest brother is getting married in August and my wife and I have been asked to be hosts at the reception. The wedding will be pretty standard - at a church with the wedding party-ushers-parents in tuxes and dresses.

However, the wedding reception is under the big tent in a pasture on a farm in rural Iowa. Yes, think pitchforks and coveralls....

I don't know how this tradition started, but most people will also change out of their 'church' clothes into their 'nice' clothes (think Nautica button down and Savane wrinkle free khakis) for the reception/dance. And it will be hot as **** in August on the plains.

Anyway - with that background being set, I'd appreciate some thoughts on my attire. Obviously a nice suit is not going to work. And I want to look nice yet comfortable (and to not standout where people are pointing at the big city kid).

linen? seersucker (actually no - will stick out like a sore thumb.) What should I do? TIA.

:embar:

E TF

Reaction score
Sounds fun. I'd just go with the flow and wear what you described - button down and khakis ( or maybe coverall and pitchfork could work...).

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Make sure that you clean your pitchfork - can get some pretty nasty smelly things on the tynes. Go with the flow and do as others. It is NOT your day so do not try to seek attention.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Uh, the same sort of thing the others are wearing, just not the same labels?

GHo

Reaction score
I only ask because I'm "hosting" the reception along with my wiff.

I'd like to be a tad bit better dressed but not attention seeking.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I only ask because I'm "hosting" the reception along with my wiff.
I'd like to be a tad bit better dressed but not attention seeking.

You do not need to try to put the other guests to shame or even feel slightly uncomfortable - that is a most ungentlemanly thing to do, even by being just "a tad bit better dressed ". If they are told to wear 'X', then so should the host - without exception. Just because you are host you should not put yourself above them.

Last edited:

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jeans, oxford, and a linen sportcoat. No tie. Penny loafers. A step up, but not intimidating.

Last edited:

Tropicalist

Reaction score
You are hosting a wedding . You are meant to stand out. I would suggest mid gray trousers, mid brown brogues to catch the country theme, a chambray shirt in white/icy blue or pink; a white or oatmeal linen blazer. Tie optional but a linen or tussah silk nubby one would work well.

Last edited:

GHo

Reaction score

Jeans, oxford, and a linen sportcoat. No tie. Penny loafers. A step up, but not intimidating.

You are hosting a wedding . You are meant to stand out. I would suggest mid gray trousers, mid brown brogues to catch the country theme, a chambray shirt in white/icy blue or pink; a white or oatmeal linen blazer. Tie optional but a linen or tussah silk nubby one would work well.

thanks guys. exactly what I was looking for.

rwaldron

Reaction score
I would do some khaki's with a linen jacket, and a brooks gingham button down collar sportshirt.

GHo

Reaction score

You mean, you have posted what I wanted to read?

yeah, whatever dude. not sure why you have a hard on over this, but so be it.

you weren't much help, but you've posted 3 or 4 times in the thread. congrats on being "that guy".

:brick:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads